Can You Bring Food into France from the UK

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Hi
I am looking for some advice please.
Can you bring food into France from the UK? and what is and isn't allowed?
The only reason I ask, is that I have 2 small children and would like to take some of their favourite foods with us. Things like Dairylea triangles, ham, baked beans, tomato ketchup etc.
Us adults on the other hand, cannot wait to savour the delights of France with all of the lovely cheeses and bread, and not forgetting the vino
smiley-wink.gif

Thank you
Sam

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I've never heard of anyone being asked what they are bringing into France, or for that matter, any other country on the Continent. There's not usually anyone at the port of entry to ask any questions anyway.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
When I contacted DEFRA they said that you could bring anything you wanted into the UK as long it is for your own consumption so would think the it is the same the other way around. I always take sausages, bacon, cheese and such in the fridge and freezer with us. Nobody ever asks or wants to look at food.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
You can take anything you want these days. There were restrictions during the Foot and Mouth epidemic, and then in the Swine Fever scares, but now anything goes. We always take staples with us - and that includes some bacon, butter, sausages, milk, yoghurt etc., as well as pasta, tinned tomatoes, red kidney beans, etc.

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes - as Val has said we have only been restricted in the past during foot & mouth etc and at this point caravans were searched and fridges cleared. We do take a few meals to last us for the first few days until we can get to a supermarket but, as the children were younger we did used to take things liked tinned beans and spaghetti etc. also Robinsons squash which you cannot find over there. We now take cereals (a small amount as we usually enjoy croissants, pain au chocolate etc), some boxed cakes and biscuits for the children, and accompaniments such as rice, stir fry sauces, salt vinegar coffee & tea.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts