Captain Chaos strikes again

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
The Dulux trade paint is a lot cheaper at Wickes. Wickes are our nearest DIY shop, but there is a Dulux trade centre about a mile further away however a lot more expensive than Wickes.
But as I say the Trade Center say it’s not the same paint as they supply from their shop. Having said that I do have a trade account with them, still dearer though 🤔

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
But as I say the Trade Center say it’s not the same paint as they supply from their shop. Having said that I do have a trade account with them, still dearer though 🤔
I find it difficult to believe that Dulux Trade emulsion varies between Dulux Trade Centers and other outlets. More likely that the Trade Center chap was trying to protect business.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
In my experience, there can be trade paint and there can be contract paint. It may mean it is a higher quality. But, depending on how it is marketed, it can mean it is cheap, poor watery rubbish.

Care has to be exercised.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have always understood that Trade Paint is a higher quality than Contract Paint. The link below supports that view. After all a developer completing 200 new homes will be keen to maximise profit. And the new home owners will in most likelihood repaint or paper the rooms too.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have always understood that Trade Paint is a higher quality than Contract Paint. The link below supports that view. After all a developer completing 200 new homes will be keen to maximise profit. And the new home owners will in most likelihood repaint or paper the rooms too.

In the past, the two terms have been muddled. Googling can find evidence both ways. But I agree, trade paints are generally of a higher quality. Particularly with known makes.

John

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
All that matters is the specification on the tin. Deluxe Trade, Crown and Leyland paints will tell you exactly the opacity rate. I’ve never seen “Contract” paint in the Trade Centres so assume it’s a sales gimmick thing maybe?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
All that matters is the specification on the tin. Deluxe Trade, Crown and Leyland paints will tell you exactly the opacity rate. I’ve never seen “Contract” paint in the Trade Centres so assume it’s a sales gimmick thing maybe?
Contract emulsion has been around for years but it’s not seen very often in retail outlets. It can have its uses such as ceilings, or when painting new buildings with fresh plaster.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Contract emulsion has been around for years but it’s not seen very often in retail outlets. It can have its uses such as ceilings, or when painting new buildings with fresh plaster.
usually fresh plaster needs a diluted Emulsion, say 50/50 if using a Trade paint. Is the Contract paint for the first coat on new plaster maybe?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
And I expect that’s why professional painters go to a Dulux trade centre and not Wickes or B&Q perhaps
Since Wickes, BQ and Screwfix are all one group why should the Dukux Trade that they sell be different to that sold at a Dulux Trade Center? You only have the hearsay evidence of one person. If as Dusty says the Dulux Trade containers have the opacity on the container it should be easy to confirm.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I had no idea that there was a opacity rating on paints? I have always assumed paint was paint and the more you paid, the better the quality.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Since Wickes, BQ and Screwfix are all one group why should the Dukux Trade that they sell be different to that sold at a Dulux Trade Center? You only have the hearsay evidence of one person. If as Dusty says the Dulux Trade containers have the opacity on the container it should be easy to confirm.
No one said there was a difference in the paint sold. Certainly I have seen Dulux Trade paint in the large B&Q trade part of the store.
Travis Perkins sell the basic Trade paints in all colours. But if you go to a Dulux Trade Centre the product availability , professional painting tools are light years ahead of the diy stores. If the tin says Trade than it is and must be Trade paint.
The answer is that a professional painter and decorator will always prefer to use Dulux Trade paint because it is a superior product that will last a long time, not discolour, nor rub off. He/ she will also have a trade account and obviously get a trade discount as he she is buying considerable volumes. They do not want any customer complaints!
The proof is in the pudding .
This will explain a lot about the quality. I need to check a tin but certainly Dulux will confirm their Trade paint opacity is second to none.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It seems that the best Dulux trade paint for our purpose would be the vinyl matt paint as easier to clean off marks and longer lasting?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
No one said there was a difference in the paint sold. Certainly I have seen Dulux Trade paint in the large B&Q trade part of the store.
Travis Perkins sell the basic Trade paints in all colours. But if you go to a Dulux Trade Centre the product availability , professional painting tools are light years ahead of the diy stores. If the tin says Trade than it is and must be Trade paint.
The answer is that a professional painter and decorator will always prefer to use Dulux Trade paint because it is a superior product that will last a long time, not discolour, nor rub off. He/ she will also have a trade account and obviously get a trade discount as he she is buying considerable volumes. They do not want any customer complaints!
The proof is in the pudding .
This will explain a lot about the quality. I need to check a tin but certainly Dulux will confirm their Trade paint opacity is second to none.

Martins posts #49 and #51 says that he was told there is a difference, but I don’t believe it as looking at Dulux’s website the specification for two Trade products are detailed. So selling a different specification under the Trade label would acquire Trading Standards interest.

For the record I have no problems whatsoever with Dulux paints and associated decorating products wherever purchased, it was the unsubstantiated comment in 49 and #51 that I was questioning.

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
Martins posts #49 and #51 says that he was told there is a difference, but I don’t believe it as looking at Dulux’s website the specification for two Trade products are detailed. So selling a different specification under the Trade label would acquire Trading Standards interest.

For the record I have no problems whatsoever with Dulux paints and associated decorating products wherever purchased, it was the unsubstantiated comment in 49 and #51 that I was questioning.
I can only pass on the information I was given!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As a matter of interest, if painting a wall, would you paint the skirting board first or the wall? We have wool carpets so not sure about using the masking tape onto the carpet and whether it will stick? Advice gladly appreciated.

Just to add OH will be doing the skirting board or if we are lucky grandson. If I got down there, not sure if I will be able to get up again as will pretend to be a supervisor from a distance. LOL! :ROFLMAO:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As a matter of interest, if painting a wall, would you paint the skirting board first or the wall? We have wool carpets so not sure about using the masking tape onto the carpet and whether it will stick? Advice gladly appreciated.

Just to add OH will be doing the skirting board or if we are lucky grandson. If I got down there, not sure if I will be able to get up again as will pretend to be a supervisor from a distance. LOL! :ROFLMAO:
I always do the skirting first and the emulsion when the skirting is dry. WRT protecting carpets I use a shield as shown in my earlier post on this thread. The ones like shown in the link below enable me to compress the carpet whilst painting the lower part of the skirting board

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
I have always worked from the top down, reason being if using a roller it’s surprising just what gets splattered in little specs.
I didn’t have time to decorate 2 x bedrooms, our decorator (who has been in the trade for many years did it the same way, ceiling, walls then skirting (obviously including door frames)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I always do the skirting first and the emulsion when the skirting is dry. WRT protecting carpets I use a shield as shown in my earlier post on this thread. The ones like shown in the link below enable me to compress the carpet whilst painting the lower part of the skirting board
I missed the post about the paint guard so thanks for reviving it. Our ceilings seem to be in order and probably will not need to be painted.

Once we have done with the painting we are thinking of fitting coving. Nothing fancy, just something to make the rooms look a bit more pleasant. Currently we only have coving in the lounge area.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site

Clive we are on the same sheet. Martin was misinformed.
Buckman Dulux Trade vinyl matt will do your job. One or two coats depending what you are overpainting

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Clive we are on the same sheet. Martin was misinformed.
Buckman Dulux Trade vinyl matt will do your job. One or two coats depending what you are overpainting
Dusty, I’m not planning on doing any painting in the near future as even with lights on plus ancillary led work lights the conditions aren’t particularly good for light on light colours. Today I’m minded to think it’s an unannounced solar eclipse.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We had a lot of decorating done last year. Lounge, main bedroom. Hall stairs and landing, downstairs loo, and 14 door sides. Very happy with our decorator. For the walls, he recommended Dulux Easycare. I think it is even dearer than the trade paint. But it is very good and scuffs will wash off.

John

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Four years ago.After Mr H harassing me into getting a decorator in rather than doing it myself.
, I contracted a well known decorator in our area with, glowing recommendations, to emulsion our, Hall stairs and landing, in Satin finish emulsion and White, high gloss for the 8 doors and paint work.
The emulsion was fine, but the gloss was NOT gloss, it was more of a Matt finish, at the end of the first day of the gloss I mentioned this to the decorator, he stated this is the trade paint that his boss supplied. After a couple of phone calls, the main man appeared and agreed it was not High gloss. Phone call to supplier, and manufacturer and they stated it may take at least two maybe three coats before a high gloss to appear as the paints are now water based and not oil based.
The end was I received a £300 reduction in the bill, I will not be employing some to do it again, I do a much better job myself. Preparation is the key to a good job.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The end was I received a £300 reduction in the bill, I will not be employing some to do it again, I do a much better job myself. Preparation is the key to a good job.
As said preparation is the key. I have since found out that prior to painting. fix any holes and cracks. Then wash the wall down with sugar soap and leave to dry. Two coats is always better then one.
I would like a cream colour for the bedroom, but OH wants white. Told her we did not want to wake up thinking we were in a hospital room. Not sure if that helped? :ROFLMAO:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts