Captain Chaos strikes again

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As said preparation is the key. I have since found out that prior to painting. fix any holes and cracks. Then wash the wall down with sugar soap and leave to dry. Two coats is always better then one.
I would like a cream colour for the bedroom, but OH wants white. Told her we did not want to wake up thinking we were in a hospital room. Not sure if that helped? :ROFLMAO:
If you do white walls you will have to paint the ceiling as two whites are never the same, plus the older one will have aged.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
BQ Dulux Pure brilliant white matt Emulsion 10ltr
Offer for 2 £45
Hope this isn’t going the way of previous fuel price and weather threads ☹️

That’s not Dukux Trade and whilst it may be okay forc white on white it will not have the opacity or durability of the higher quality products from Dukux.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks to all who offer very valuable information regarding paints and also painting walls. I have learnt a lot in the past few days.

As said we will do a bit at a time to help pass away the winter days and hopefully not too much of a smell as not the best time to leave windows wide open. LOL!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We used to get a small vial of liquid called "Petal" just a couple of drops in a 2.5 litre pot to all smell away. Or cut an onion in half and leave it on a saucer cut side up. That works as well

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We used to get a small vial of liquid called "Petal" just a couple of drops in a 2.5 litre pot to all smell away. Or cut an onion in half and leave it on a saucer cut side up. That works as well
Thanks but a quick Google and cannot find "Paint Petal"? We need to be careful as OH suffers from asthma and not sure if new paint smell will upset her? Not sure about the onions though? :unsure:

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
If you do white walls you will have to paint the ceiling as two whites are never the same, plus the older one will have aged.
What makes you think he looks up at his age😜
Don’t use the stuff Beachball listed. You will end up doing 4/5 coats and still see through to the original . Fully agree with Clive’s last post. Think opacity👏👏

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Don’t use the stuff Beachball listed. You will end up doing 4/5 coats and still see through to the original . Fully agree with Clive’s last post. Think opacity👏👏
I use the car jack to lift my head. Anyway OH says ceiling is okay so whom am i to argue? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I disagree, I use Dulux, Brilliant White, Satin , Emulsion, excellent for ceilings and walls, but I always give two coats anyway, Maybe the difference is that I am emulsioning textured paper on the walls, not onto plain plastered walls.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi DD the reason went for this paint it got low odour it suitable for my health issues and we use two coats only on our walls and ceiling but that your opinion if it not suitable

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
All this talk about Opacity, Coverage etc reminds of the numerous discussions about whether some tires have better road holding or mileage or noise.

While on paper and in the lab some tests may indicated a better opacity or coverage, what does this really mean in our real life applications. There are so many variables in our homes and how we prepare and apply the paint that are not the same as what the lab used to measure the differences.

Then again how much in real terms is the difference. I've never had a tin of paint or packet of wallpaper that goes anywhere near what they say it should cover. And if I could find a figure that specifies opacity how would I know what it meant.

This morning I've bought tins of our local brew emulsion because its what we're matching on another wall. No mention of opacity. Also nothing on the tin of Dulux SatinWood Glass.

We had an accent wall in Purple for a number of years before deciding to change colour completley last year - from Purple to a Greenish (Milovag Storm). One coat covered the colour very well and the only need for a second coat was to do the small bits I'd missed and to be complete.

Pays your money etc etc.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Well the decorating is under way. We've done one of the awkward walls up the stairs and freshened up a couple of other walls with the local brew. It covered well on the new wall in just two coats and only needed one coat on the existing walls of the same colour.

Just started in another area with Dulux EasyCare , Washable and Tough Matt. For the price of this they should come around and paint the walls for you. £85 for 5l - compared to our local brew at £60. Mind you the local brew isn't that hard wearing and its not washable. So we're using the expensive stuff in areas of high traffic which are likely to get some marks on the wall.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Well the decorating is under way. We've done one of the awkward walls up the stairs and freshened up a couple of other walls with the local brew. It covered well on the new wall in just two coats and only needed one coat on the existing walls of the same colour.

Just started in another area with Dulux EasyCare , Washable and Tough Matt. For the price of this they should come around and paint the walls for you. £85 for 5l - compared to our local brew at £60. Mind you the local brew isn't that hard wearing and its not washable. So we're using the expensive stuff in areas of high traffic which are likely to get some marks on the wall.
That’s very expensive must be Skye prices.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Skye high prices😁

Yes local stores, what there are, are typically more expensive. The local brew was £60 for 5l.... not white though.

The Amazon price was for white, while we have a colour mixed variant. Pale Opal.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Update ...

When we did our daughter's new house a few weeks back we used regular colour mixed Dulux Matt. Very low odour and went on easily. No side affects.

Yesterday I did the first wall with the Dulux Easycare. It smells orrible and being very thick takes longer to go on by roller compared with the normal stuff.

Now it may be a coincidence but a couple of hours after finishing I had the most horrendous stomach ache. Went to bed early without eating and several times felt nauseous. Did get a night's sleep eventually and in the morning still felt a little uncomfortable but carried on with 2 more walls.

A couple of hours later same thing and went to bed by 2pm with a hottie. Did vomit this time and eventually got some sleep: woke a while back feeling better.

Tomorrow I need to finish off before it finishes me off so I'm going to wear my Darth Vader spray paint mask and turn the ventilation fully up.

Watch this space.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Update ...

When we did our daughter's new house a few weeks back we used regular colour mixed Dulux Matt. Very low odour and went on easily. No side affects.

Yesterday I did the first wall with the Dulux Easycare. It smells orrible and being very thick takes longer to go on by roller compared with the normal stuff.

Now it may be a coincidence but a couple of hours after finishing I had the most horrendous stomach ache. Went to bed early without eating and several times felt nauseous. Did get a night's sleep eventually and in the morning still felt a little uncomfortable but carried on with 2 more walls.

A couple of hours later same thing and went to bed by 2pm with a hottie. Did vomit this time and eventually got some sleep: woke a while back feeling better.

Tomorrow I need to finish off before it finishes me off so I'm going to wear my Darth Vader spray paint mask and turn the ventilation fully up.

Watch this space.
Sounds more than a coincidence. Sure it’s not Novichock?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Update ...

Watch this space.
When I was at school I had a summer job painting red lead oxide onto steel girders - I was advised at the time to drink plenty of milk to counter the toxic effect of paint - now I know paints have changed over time but there may still be some truth in it.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Sounds more than a coincidence. Sure it’s not Novichock?
Is that made by Cadburys?

I've had two more days of painting but masked up and with the ventilation system going full bore. The mask cuts out the smell and so far I've been ok.

I suppose I should do some more without the mask just to see...... but it was that unpleasant I'm not risking it.

Thought of milk after the bad days but couldn't stomach it 😁😁😁

Reactions: otherclive
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
At present we have had to change plans about decorating our home, my fine and gross motor skills are deteriorated to an extent where we now have professionals completing this. The kitchen has been completed and today the living room will be next, flooring will be fitted after our break in February then the plan is bedrooms will be given a fresh coat of paint completing with new carpets etc. Its just been realistic with what I am able to do, with sense of achievement in other areas.

Reactions: Steve1962

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
We're on the last stages of painting the inside of the house, just the kitchen and laundry room to do. About 100 hours so far and 22.5 litres of emulsion, plus 1.5 litres of Satinwood.

About £450 in paint, rollers, brushes and other stuff required - no beer.

Not having a step counter I'm not sure how many times I've been up and down the ladders. Neither am I sure how much paint has been on me or my overalls.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Just inspecting my handiwork and reckon one wall needs a second coat. That's what happens when you realise your getting to the end of the can and try and stretch it out. So another 2.5l and maybe just an hour to finish it.

Reactions: Hutch and Steve1962
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just inspecting my handiwork and reckon one wall needs a second coat. That's what happens when you realise your getting to the end of the can and try and stretch it out. So another 2.5l and maybe just an hour to finish it.
Not sure why you never got Frank Spencer to do the job as he is a DIY expert? :D

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The living room and conservatory has been painted and now got new carpets and vinyl the carpet fitter took the living door off . its needs 10mm off the bottom . So now we need to buy a circular saw and my son going to have a go and rehang the door again for me, the new sofa & electric recliner arrives today that another one off the list .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts