Car driver assistance aids and MOT

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
On my Tiguan it has ABS+EBD+brake assist, distance control assist, front assist including city emergency braking , hill hold control, lane assist ,seat belt warning lamp and buzzer, the bit i like is the paddles on the heated steering wheel makes life easier if i want use my car in manual .not auto

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
On my car, Volvo XC60, I can vary the volume of the parking sensor beeps by using the volume control of the audio system when the beeps are sounding.
That sounds like a good idea. I have a control in the Settings of the car but its only Low, Medium, High and high is still not enough.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Couple of other features some I like, some could do with improvement.

1. Auto Dimming Mirror. Works really well and I just forget about it now.

2. Auto Dipping Main Beams. Works really well to detect oncoming cars and cars in front of you going the same way. A little slow to come out of dipped, especially on countryside road corners.

3. Auto Rain Detector. A bit temperamenal and I find I have to frequently override it. I would prefer just the old method of manually setting an intermittent period.

4. Auto Lights On. Its ok when you go out in the dark so you don't have to worry about switchng them on. However, it never seems to turn them on at the right time when on a long drive transitioning from day to twilight. Also don't come on in rain.

5. Lane Departure Warning. Doesn't try and steer you back fortunately, just a buzzer. Bit of a gimic and I don't really need it but I've left it on.

6. Stop/Start System - its ok but wouldn't bother me if it wasn't there.

7. Daytime Running Lights. Ok. Earlier version had a problem because the indicators are adjacent to the DRL and couldn't be seen to flash. Caused a few issues for oncoming cars. Nissan issued a mod to dim the DRL when indicating.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
A few weeks back we were away in Brighton. One evening we'd been out for a meal and were driving through one of the back streets out of the car park and negotiated a chicane style layout, a car was coming towards us, we were both on the correct side of the road, I guess my speed was 20 to 25 mph. The road was narrow at this point, but plenty of room. I was in control and happy with everything. My V90 wasn't though and promptly slammed the brakes on and pinned us back in the seats with the seat belt tensioner! I guess it thought that the oncoming car was going to hit us due to the chicane/bend in the road but it came as quite a surprise, fortunately no-one was following close behind.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
My Qashqai has two phases for Forward Emergency Braking ( Collision Detection). Phase One warns you with a Yellow Symbol and rapid loud bleeping. Phase Two kicks in sometime after if you ignore Phase One and puts up a Red Symbol and puts the brakes on. I've had Phase One a couple of times but never Phase Two.

Reactions: GaryB
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
My Qashqai has two phases for Forward Emergency Braking ( Collision Detection). Phase One warns you with a Yellow Symbol and rapid loud bleeping. Phase Two kicks in sometime after if you ignore Phase One and puts up a Red Symbol and puts the brakes on. I've had Phase One a couple of times but never Phase Two.

On a couple of occasions the Volvo has sounded an alarm and flashed a red car symbol when I've been approaching a parked car on my side of the road before I have indicated to go round it, but on this occasion there was no fore-warning, just an alarlm, red flashing car symbol, braking and seatbelt tensioning all in one. It all worked very effectively but it was to avert a crash that wasn't about to happen!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
On my Tiguan it has ABS+EBD+brake assist, distance control assist, front assist including city emergency braking , hill hold control, lane assist ,seat belt warning lamp and buzzer, the bit i like is the paddles on the heated steering wheel makes life easier if i want use my car in manual .not auto
BB What’s City EB? Not heard that one🤔

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Couple of other features some I like, some could do with improvement.

1. Auto Dimming Mirror. Works really well and I just forget about it now.

2. Auto Dipping Main Beams. Works really well to detect oncoming cars and cars in front of you going the same way. A little slow to come out of dipped, especially on countryside road corners.

3. Auto Rain Detector. A bit temperamenal and I find I have to frequently override it. I would prefer just the old method of manually setting an intermittent period.

4. Auto Lights On. Its ok when you go out in the dark so you don't have to worry about switchng them on. However, it never seems to turn them on at the right time when on a long drive transitioning from day to twilight. Also don't come on in rain.

5. Lane Departure Warning. Doesn't try and steer you back fortunately, just a buzzer. Bit of a gimic and I don't really need it but I've left it on.

6. Stop/Start System - its ok but wouldn't bother me if it wasn't there.

7. Daytime Running Lights. Ok. Earlier version had a problem because the indicators are adjacent to the DRL and couldn't be seen to flash. Caused a few issues for oncoming cars. Nissan issued a mod to dim the DRL when indicating.
Tend not to use auto lights as it’s a possibility that the main headlights could come on and someone in a side turning thinks you’ve messaged them to come out. I know lights coming on are different to a headlight flash but that assumes every driver distinguishes between the two modes. So I don’t use auto headlights.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A headlight flash simply means "I'm here" and should not be assumed or used for any other meaning. There are usually normal rules of the road that indicate who has priority in most circumstances.

I had an occasion when travelling along a road where "speed Safety bumps had been installed. One set were only yards from a side road just ahead with a car waiting to turn right across my path. as I crossed the bump, the other car pulled out infront of me. we both stopped. The other driver opened the window and angilly reprimanded me for calling them out!.....

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A headlight flash simply means "I'm here" and should not be assumed or used for any other meaning. There are usually normal rules of the road that indicate who has priority in most circumstances.

I had an occasion when travelling along a road where "speed Safety bumps had been installed. One set were only yards from a side road just ahead with a car waiting to turn right across my path. as I crossed the bump, the other car pulled out infront of me. we both stopped. The other driver opened the window and angilly reprimanded me for calling them out!.....
Prof my comments don’t mean that I do not understand what a headlight flash means, but as you describe not everyone does. We’re you on headlights then when going over the speed bump?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Prof my comments don’t mean that I do not understand what a headlight flash means, but as you describe not everyone does. We’re you on headlights then when going over the speed bump?
New cars have DRL so going over a bump in the road could look like the lights are flashing. I have noticed this also. Flashing lights does not give the other vehicle priority and it is still their responsibility to take care even if you are flashing your lights and then run into them. They are liable.

Reactions: otherclive
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My car got front and rear optical parking sensors is advanced parking system consisting of eight ultrasonic sensors providing all round assistance .
On holiday once when parking up to take dogs a walk, the sensors went off, could not see anything thought they were busted, turned out to be a large dog running round the car! Find them a mixed blessing.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
New cars have DRL so going over a bump in the road could look like the lights are flashing. I have noticed this also. Flashing lights does not give the other vehicle priority and it is still their responsibility to take care even if you are flashing your lights and then run into them. They are liable.

I suppose it depends on how the DRLs are implemented. Mine are seperated by a good distance from the main beams and just little arrow heads. I don't think they could be interpreted as flashing when going over bumps etc.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I would like to think that a driver should be relying on their own judgement and not a computer which could fail at any time and cause a catastrophe.

I don’t have this on the new car but the Vovo did have City Safety. I had the car for 7 years and not once did it operate. Which demonstrates I must have been paying attention as I never hit anyone.

There are some funny YouTube videos of people seeing if they had the nerve to test it out. One uses a blow up car. And the Volvo stopped. A lot of top end cars have it now. It may have been a Volvo idea, not sure.

View: https://youtu.be/LivMzWoHAuQ

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I suppose it depends on how the DRLs are implemented. Mine are seperated by a good distance from the main beams and just little arrow heads. I don't think they could be interpreted as flashing when going over bumps etc.
I think a lot depends on the intensity of the light as some are brighter than others? Mind you it could be when cars have the beams on low as it is difficult to check, but I don't think there is any difference between low beam and DRL as they probably use the same bulb?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I think a lot depends on the intensity of the light as some are brighter than others? Mind you it could be when cars have the beams on low as it is difficult to check, but I don't think there is any difference between low beam and DRL as they probably use the same bulb?

A DRldrl will never be the same bulb as the low beam, they operate at different times.

My new MG has bi-LED headlights. I asked the salesman to explain and he described bendy headlights, I had these on the Volvo. Excellent things which steer round corners ahead of you. Bi-LED, or bi-Zenon incorporates a shutter that switches between dipped and main beam. So, in this way, only one bulb is used. Cheaper and more compact.

Some cars now have rear DRL’s which I think are a good safety improvement.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A DRldrl will never be the same bulb as the low beam, they operate at different times.

My new MG has bi-LED headlights. I asked the salesman to explain and he described bendy headlights, I had these on the Volvo. Excellent things which steer round corners ahead of you. Bi-LED, or bi-Zenon incorporates a shutter that switches between dipped and main beam. So, in this way, only one bulb is used. Cheaper and more compact.

Some cars now have rear DRL’s which I think are a good safety improvement.

John

If you have front and rear DRLs then you might as well have your low beam switched on as surely that has the same safety function? TBH I have no idea if the Jeep has the "bendy" headlights as we very seldom drive at night unless an emergency.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I honestly believe the car manufacturers have lost the plot with many modern cars, and the plethora of automated gizzmos, many of which we do not need, and some we do not want. The added complexity has driven them to get rid of physical switches and move to touch panel controls, many of which are set in multi layered menus on" I pad" like panels in the middle of the dash board.

To change the operation of many items no need the attention of the driver to be taken off the road to the "I pad" and to take valuable extra time to concentrate on what's displayed to be able to decide what to do and then to move the finger to teh correct spot to make the change. What happens if your finge slips on the surface of the pad and you activate the wrong thing.....

Why do we need electrically operated seats, and steering column,s, , boot's door latches. etc. Have we lost the ability to move?

Not only does all this extra gear add cost it increases the probability of faults which are beyond the competent DIY'er to rectify.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I‘m with the Prof but equally I do like some of the gizmos.
Self dipping rear view mirror.👍
Heated door mirrors 👍
Heated seats great for back ache cure👍
TPMS👍
Auto brake hold👍.To name a few.
The problem with auto brake hold is the brake lights stay on dazzling those behind. My problem ,too lazy to turn it off🙃.
Many will remember when heaters were optional extras and indicators were non self cancelling🤪

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I honestly believe the car manufacturers have lost the plot with many modern cars, and the plethora of automated gizzmos, many of which we do not need, and some we do not want. The added complexity has driven them to get rid of physical switches and move to touch panel controls, many of which are set in multi layered menus on" I pad" like panels in the middle of the dash board.

To change the operation of many items no need the attention of the driver to be taken off the road to the "I pad" and to take valuable extra time to concentrate on what's displayed to be able to decide what to do and then to move the finger to teh correct spot to make the change. What happens if your finge slips on the surface of the pad and you activate the wrong thing.....

Why do we need electrically operated seats, and steering column,s, , boot's door latches. etc. Have we lost the ability to move?

Not only does all this extra gear add cost it increases the probability of faults which are beyond the competent DIY'er to rectify.

Perhaps you should try the screens to see if they are what you think they are. Having just bought a car with such a screen I can say it is not as you suggest. Commonly used functions are all accessible with permanent settings buried in the layers and menus, these are set when stationary.

Yesterday we decided to go to Ikea. Pressed one button on the steering wheel and said, navigate to Ikea. Seconds later it asked, “which one”. I touched the Bristol option and that was job done.

Tactile piano keys below the screen take me directly to functions. Then simple adjustments are made.

In my case, I believe it has been designed with driving safety in mind. But I can't speak for other makes.

The longevity and reliability of the gizmos improve with time and innovation. eg. Electric windows were once such an unnecessary gizmo. But now they are a reliable and normal addition. Probably more reliable than their predecessors.

The bendy headlights I mentioned earlier. Are normally an expensive extra. In time the costs may come down. Then it is an extra safety feature. Not necessary, but desirable.

John

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Most modern cars have different bulb/led for DRLs - back in the '80/90s there was something called "dim-dip", a fore-runner of DRLs but soon abandoned until DRLs became mandatory.

The dim-dip transformer on Vauxhalls used to cause hum interference on the cassette player and the only solution was to drive with lights on all the time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts