Caravan brakes/ motor mover

Nov 4, 2007
Visit site
Before I unhitch I apply the caravan brakes. If I then push the caravan backwards the brake handle rises and the caravan moves a small amount then stops. My dealer tells me all is well with the brakes because it stops when you push it backwards. All good. But if I engage the motor mover, it won't move the caravan forwards but it will move the caravan backwards. . To my mind this is clearly wrong.
I do know what the problem is but surely the brakes should not allow a caravan to be moved backwards under the power of a motor mover.
Any comments from the experts before I pursue this further with my dealer?

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Good practice to always chock wheels front and back before unhitching. There can be slight movement forward sometimes before the brakes engage, enough for hitch to hit bumper.

Nov 4, 2007
Visit site
It all sounds like normal caravan brake behaviour to me.
If you can push it back a bit with the brake on the MM will do the same.
Yes, but I can move the caravan backwards as much as I want. . If the van was on a slope facing upwards it would run backwards if the mover was not engaged. . It's difficult to explain to service staff at a dealer . . My next step is to talk to the manufacturer as I can't get past dealer service department reception to talk to technical staff. .

Reactions: Hutch and JB1
Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
Yes, but I can move the caravan backwards as much as I want. . If the van was on a slope facing upwards it would run backwards if the mover was not engaged. . It's difficult to explain to service staff at a dealer . . My next step is to talk to the manufacturer as I can't get past dealer service department reception to talk to technical staff. .
Have I got this right with the hand brake lever in the up position the van could run away backwards?
I don't suppose your tow hitch is pushed back as if you were pushing the van back with a car?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I had the same on a new, 2010 coachman, 6 months old, motor moved the van onto my driveway, applied the brake, disengaged the motor mover and the van rolled into the garage cracking the rear panel. Insurance assessor told me he had several vans do that, and the brakes were wrongly adjusted. Dealer replaced back panel and sorted out the brakes.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.....if the handbrake is fully applied then the OP's caravan should not be able to move backwards more than 0.5 meters and often less.
This small movement backwards is caused by the way the brake shoes contact the brake drum due to the automatic reversing mechanism.
This small movement backwards is normal.

Brakes that allow the caravan to move backwards beyond this small amount are not working properly and present a serious and dangerous situation.
The OP needs to contact who ever last serviced the brakes and outline the problem and if necessary make an official complaint to get the problem rectified.
For safety reasons the brakes need to be sorted.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Even on a car if applying the cable handbrake, there will still be some movement. with a car if you have the handbrake fully on, you will still probably be able to move the car.

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
Can you push the caravan backwards with the handbrake on? Initially you said that it stops after a short distance (completely normal) but then you said that it would move backwards with the motormover and the handbrake on. My motormover is supposedly capable of moving 1500kg up a 1 in 4 slope, it wouldn't surprise me if it is capable of overcoming a drum brake, the only question is why yours will overcome it in one direction but not the other.

Nov 4, 2007
Visit site
Can you push the caravan backwards with the handbrake on? Initially you said that it stops after a short distance (completely normal) but then you said that it would move backwards with the motormover and the handbrake on. My motormover is supposedly capable of moving 1500kg up a 1 in 4 slope, it wouldn't surprise me if it is capable of overcoming a drum brake, the only question is why yours will overcome it in one direction but not the other.
It's just my opinion but a motor mover should not be able to overpower the caravan brakes. In the past I have tried to use the mover after I had forgotten to release the caravan brake and it wouldn't move. Perhaps anyone brave enough to abuse their caravan brakes and mover could leave the brakes on and see if the caravan will move with the mover. This is why I started this topic. . My dealer service reception staff say the brakes are fine. I say they aren't.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Even on a car if applying the cable handbrake, there will still be some movement. with a car if you have the handbrake fully on, you will still probably be able to move the car.
When I did my driving test in 1970 if you moved a fraction back on the hill start test you failed!
Even the old cars then had a handbrake that properly adjusted would not allow a smidge back.

Reactions: Danddandy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts