Caravan club CL sites

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Hello all.
Not sure if this is the right forum for this but here I go anyway.
Used a certain CC CL site last week, and this was he first time we have used a CL site as we have only just started this hobby.
The handbook says these are to be used by club members only and 5 units only. But at anyone time there was 8-13 units some of which were permanent and being lived in. There were 5 pitches marked out but the other units were placed on the vacant grass. I have written to the caravan club for some answers.
But was wondering what your views are as I'm baffled.
Maybe I should ask more questions when I book. Lesson learned I think lol.
Many thanks to you all.

Aug 1, 2007
Visit site
Neil Some sites have a 5 license with either club or both in some cases And a 5 van license with local authority as well so that makes 15 vans

Also did you think that if the club act that might be another CL lost

Also i bet if you go back there in middle of may he'll possible have no one on But still has to pay his taxes and maintain the site just in case

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi Neil,
Bit of a knotty subject is the status of CL's given the wide range of sites and locations that are all deemed as a CL, the true definition as I understand it a site that only takes 5 vans and only availale to club members so your first instict I would say is correct, while most CL's will be exactly that, others are a little more tenuious in the definition, however the truth is a little more complex. for instance a commercial site can still be a CL if it puts aside a space away from the other vans that it uses for this purpose, so providing other vans do not encroach on this space it will still be deemed a CL,

we stayed at one on our way down cornwall just off the M5 near Weston. it was getting late and I did not want to go any futher so on spec rang a CL out of the book to see if there was a place off chance, no problem they said one night thats fine.
when we got there we were shown to a small hard standing area behind the amenities block where it was set out for a CL there was only one van there allready so we setup in this area surounded by high hedges, after a rest I took the dog for a walk and was gobsmacked to find infront of the toilet block about 200 statics reaching as far as the eye could see, yet it was still listed as a CL,

another one I know of is local to us, it is on the side of a fishing lake behind the house, lovely place 5 pitches all with EHU grand fully equipped shower block. perfect for a long weekends fishing.
smiley-laughing.gif
exept that he also has two statics that are rented out 3 perminantly sited seasonals at the side of statics at the far end of the lake and the carp bivvy boys set up at the side of the lake most weekends not to mention the half dozen tents on the camping field across the farm track " all using the toilet block and yes it is still a CL.because these areas are clearly defined as such..
I do not know what if any the responce from the CC will be but I can guess, just don't hold your breath while waiting.
colin

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Rita thanks for your comments. I see what you mean but the owner was the rudest individual I have ever had the misfortune to meet.
Colin thanks for your input think we will put this down to experience.
Many thanks

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Neil
I think you were unlucky. All the CLs I've used have ben run by some lovely people including a smashing lady in her 80s.
Whilst the "rule" is 5 caravans I have been on a number where the Owner has opened up another field and allowed wild camping or has run an extended EHU lead from the farmhouse. What is important is that we have never been squashed up. One Owner I know gets around the 5 unit issue by saying the likes of me are part of the family and are her private personal guests staying on a different field from that allocated to the actual CL.
Rightly or wrongly I turn a blind eye. What do I care so long as we have plenty of space, excellent prices and lovely views.
smiley-cool.gif

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Neil
As a CL owner we do all we can to keep to the 5 van rule, at times its difficult but we try. How ever the CL is clearly marked by a fence, we do have 3 EHU in the ajoining medow and we kep these for 3 of our past regulars who now due to health problems find it difficult to book in advance.My view on this is they helped us when they where in good health so if we can help them now we will.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
kennygee said:
I was under the impresion that the CL's were inspected by the Caravan Club to make sure they complied with the rules.
I can vouch for that happening, an 'inspector' came whilst we were on a cl.
Incidently if we had been the owners and were spoken to in the carrying voice, in the clear earshot of members and in the abrupt critical manner he did to these elderly owners then there would I am afraid be one less site in the system!

Aug 1, 2007
Visit site
Each area has its own inspector
They get to know the owners and know which will do the improvements that are required
We have met many of them in our travels all been very pleasant

Aug 1, 2007
Visit site
SirRogerFFS said:
Rita Hows Merryweather Farm coming on .?

I see you have been knighted
smiley-laughing.gif

Got permission for 40 i heard the otherday Must go and see

You should pop and see for yourself or now you are Sir is it beneath you
smiley-innocent.gif

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi Rita.Not beneath me to go and see Merryweather farm but because of two operations my movements have been restricted somewhat but Im now on the move again thankfully.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
we rarely stay on anything but CL's and CS's and have only once encountered a problem with campers on a CS. Whilst everyone tries to keep to the rules I think any of us that get stuck for whatever reason would be glad of a bit of rule bending in exceptional circumstances and understand when others need this too!! If we had stayed away last easter for 1 day longer we would of ended up needing to stay an extra 3 weeks unplanned as I came back to unplanned major surgery which took us very much by surprise. If this had been the case we would of been very glad to be able to stay where we were and if that meant numbers weren't right I hope other users would of understood.

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your views.
The facilities were not up to the job. And I know these sites have to earn a crust. But the owners were so rude that is what I do not like. Manners cost nothing.
I did get a response from the cc saying they will investigate and take a dim view to the way we were treated and spoken too.
Regards
Neil.

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
In 30+ years with the CC I only use CL's. Most have been very good with just a few that I will not be returning to ( just something about them that we cannot put a hand on and say what was wrong ).

Trevor

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts