Caravan owners face £2,500 fines for towing 'incorrectly' after major driving law change

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I don't think that there's anything new in terms of construction and use laws.
We know that a B+E licence is no longer a requirement for towing a caravan using a vehicle that has a combined gtw of 3.5 tonnes.
The other things mentioned in the article are not newly introduced or under the radar as the click bait tabloid headline implies.
If a new caravanner doesn't bother to research the laws that apply to towing, they deserve to be fined.
There were hints about a caravan curfew of some sort, but nothing to substantiate the unfounded hint.
Knowing that particular tabloid, I'm surprised that the headline didn't hint that caravan towing attracts meteorite and lightning strikes 🙄

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Slow newsday I agree, even the BBC picked it up. I gather the point is, that after the relaxation of the B&E law, there is a strong possibility that some will take on much heavier outfits than they were previously able to. Either as novices or untrained or those that could not care less. Adding significant danger on the road. No doubt the police are aware of this and will be stopping people accordingly and imposing those fines. If so, it therefore follows they will be targeting all, particularly larger outfits more diligently than in the past.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Slow newsday I agree, even the BBC picked it up. I gather the point is, that after the relaxation of the B&E law, there is a strong possibility that some will take on much heavier outfits than they were previously able to. Either as novices or untrained or those that could not care less. Adding significant danger on the road. No doubt the police are aware of this and will be stopping people accordingly and imposing those fines. If so, it therefore follows they will be targeting all, particularly larger outfits more diligently than in the past.

John
I’m not sure that the police will target larger outfits specifically as smaller outfits can present just as real a risk if the car or caravan are overloaded, old/ cracked tyres, poor load attitude, etc. I don’t recall prior to BE any police targeting if larger outfits compared to other outfits. I’m just happy that they have the resources combined with DVSA staff to periodically carry out inspections. When I was pulled in for an inspection it was random, as the outfits attitude was good, the car level and I was not speeding. The police motorcyclist juts came alongside as I was on the A30 and signalled me to follow him to the DoT depot and weighbridge.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Many cars can legally tow a lot more than their kerb weight making it difficult for police to target larger caravans. Most officers will have no idea of the MTPLM of a caravan or the gross maximum train weight of the vehicle unless they stop the vehicle and do a spot check. Hard to do this on a motorway.

I would think that a police officer be aware of a combination which looks over laden, looks to be in a dangerous condition or is speeding. Maybe Mr Plod can verify?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Many cars can legally tow a lot more than their kerb weight making it difficult for police to target larger caravans. Most officers will have no idea of the MTPLM of a caravan or the gross maximum train weight of the vehicle unless they stop the vehicle and do a spot check. Hard to do this on a motorway.

I would think that a police officer be aware of a combination which looks over laden, looks to be in a dangerous condition or is speeding. Maybe Mr Plod can verify?
That is why at holiday times DVSA set up shop in motorway service areas where the police "kindly" direct you to the inspection area.

Reactions: Buckman
Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
A load of rubbish like most of these things telling you you could be fined. The last one I saw suggested wearing scarves and hats could get you banned.

Lots of these in our local rag, Oxford Mail (Newsquest). "WARNING, DOING THIS PERFECTLY NORMAL ACTIVITY COULD LAND YOU A MILLION QUILLION POUND FINE, 20 YEARS OF HARD LABOUR IN A SIBERIAN GULAG, YOUR WIFE AND CHILDREN SOLD AS SLAVES AND PETS SOLD FOR MEAT"

Most recent was some nonsense about Christmas trees in cars. Usually a mild element of truth in these articles. Eg yes, you may get a fine if you have it in your lap whilst driving and / or abuse the copper who pulls you over. They usually take the maximum possible fine in a court then make out that you WILL be fined this amount for the tiniest infraction. " YOU'LL GO TO PRISON FOR LIFE IF ONE NEEDLE DROPS ONTO YOUR GEAR STICK" I'm not sure what the agenda behind these articles is. Whether they are just pure clickbait or if it's some greenie agenda to scare us out of driving.

Next up. "WALKING ON THE PAVEMENT COULD LAND YOU 5 YEARS IN PRISON". ( "whilst carrying a sawn off shot gun" in small print ).

• Haha
Reactions: Parksy and Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The ones I detest, are the community officers trying to "Fine" someone for dropping a bit of a sausage roll, in a carpark, and the birds eating it.

I suppose the RSPCB would be onto you if it had been a Gregg's Vegan roll though.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
The ones I detest, are the community officers trying to "Fine" someone for dropping a bit of a sausage roll, in a carpark, and the birds eating it.

I suppose the RSPCB would be onto you if it had been a Gregg's Vegan roll though.

Too many jumped up nobodies in this country who power trip the minute they put on a hi-viz jacket.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lots of these in our local rag, Oxford Mail (Newsquest). "WARNING, DOING THIS PERFECTLY NORMAL ACTIVITY COULD LAND YOU A MILLION QUILLION POUND FINE, 20 YEARS OF HARD LABOUR IN A SIBERIAN GULAG, YOUR WIFE AND CHILDREN SOLD AS SLAVES AND PETS SOLD FOR MEAT"

Most recent was some nonsense about Christmas trees in cars. Usually a mild element of truth in these articles. Eg yes, you may get a fine if you have it in your lap whilst driving and / or abuse the copper who pulls you over. They usually take the maximum possible fine in a court then make out that you WILL be fined this amount for the tiniest infraction. " YOU'LL GO TO PRISON FOR LIFE IF ONE NEEDLE DROPS ONTO YOUR GEAR STICK" I'm not sure what the agenda behind these articles is. Whether they are just pure clickbait or if it's some greenie agenda to scare us out of driving.

Next up. "WALKING ON THE PAVEMENT COULD LAND YOU 5 YEARS IN PRISON". ( "whilst carrying a sawn off shot gun" in small print ).
Why mention the party political agenda? The subject has nothing to do with any particular party.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I think some are missing the point which goes beyond the media hype and need for copy however mundane.

While I feel sure that everyone on this forum practices safe and lawful towing. Sadly there are some (a lot) who don’t. I feel sure that the police are aware of this and aware of the relaxation of the law. This could easily increase the amount of, and degree of targeting their checks. Necessitating the need for extra care for all.

Like H&S. There are lots of myths propagated that can detract from deciphering the important facts.

John

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Why mention the party political agenda? The subject has nothing to do with any particular party.
I didn't notice any party politics in the humorous post from Chris the Caravanner, Prof.
If the comment about the 'greenies trying to scare us away from driving' has triggered your response, the comment was quite clearly a joke.
Let's all calm down and play nicely 😉

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site

I was once sat at a train station enjoying a sausage roll. A very tame pigeon was right at my feet tucking into the flakes of puff pastry as they fell. Fortunately no hi-viz man person appeared to inform me that these were in fact vegan pigeons and I was fined £50 for hurting their feelings.

Reactions: Mr Plodd

TRENDING THREADS