Caravan sites in St Jean De Monts Area

Mar 28, 2006
Visit site
Hi - My family and I are planning our first overseas trip with the caravan this summer. I have been told that the St Jean de Monts area is good for families. Can anyone advise on sites in the area - Thanks Kev

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Hi Kevin

We are going to La Yole next week when it opens for the season on Monday 2nd.

it is 4 miles from St Jean de Monts and is listed in the C C overseas book.

We have not been to the Vendee before but will gladly give you some info when we return on Apr 15th

BRUM

Mar 20, 2006
Visit site
I can't wait for Brum's reply as we are venturing abroad with the caravan for the first time this year - we will be at La Yole for the last week in July.

Mike

Mar 28, 2006
Visit site
Hi Kevin

We are going to La Yole next week when it opens for the season on Monday 2nd.

it is 4 miles from St Jean de Monts and is listed in the C C overseas book.

We have not been to the Vendee before but will gladly give you some info when we return on Apr 15th

BRUM
Hey Brum - That would be great - that kind of advice and information would be very helpful

Kev

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Hi Kev,

We have stayed at le Bois Masson a few years back and found it to be a great site with a nice pool complex (outdoor and indoor pools)and the site facilities are splotlessly clean. It is situated close to the town of St Jean de Monts and the beach is within cycling distance. Absolutly loads to do and see in the area.

Mac.

Mar 18, 2006
Visit site
hi kevin

we too are travelling to france this yr..we should have been going with friends but they have now cancelled so we going it alone.. we are of to le bois masson which is near st jean de monts.. heard from another friend that its a great place so we giving it a go..we are going last week in july/ 1st week in august..

daz

Oct 14, 2005
Visit site
We have also booked La Yole as our first trip abroad with the van, we go the last couple of weeks in August, so we would welcome any info, especially the drive down from Calais.

Mar 28, 2006
Visit site
Hi sma65 - the trip down from Calais was going to be my next posting, so I would also welcome any advice or suggestions about camp sites on-route to St Jean de Monts by anyone who has made the journey

Kev

May 24, 2005
Visit site
Kevin,

Went to St Jean de Monts 3 years ago (the sizzling Summer of 2004 - 42deg C there- phew!) and vowed to return some day! It's a superb place to holiday with plenty to keep you and the kids happy all day.

We stayed at le Bois Jolie which I believe is the nearest site to the town centre. It's a super site that few Brits have yet discovered (the French keep the best quiet and for themselves!).

A few years ago you would not find any reference to this site in any British sites book but I believe that it now appears in the Caravan Club European Sites Book. Enter it into any search engine and you'll find it anyway.

Get into town early in the day for the market, and late at night for the street market - what an atmosphere!

Crumbs why am I not going this year since my AT Ferries booking went up in smoke?!

We travelled across from Calais in one day but it was a hard and long journey. You'll need to take a view on that one, but the roads are much improved since '04

Have a great time

Al

Mar 28, 2006
Visit site
Kevin,

Went to St Jean de Monts 3 years ago (the sizzling Summer of 2004 - 42deg C there- phew!) and vowed to return some day! It's a superb place to holiday with plenty to keep you and the kids happy all day.

We stayed at le Bois Jolie which I believe is the nearest site to the town centre. It's a super site that few Brits have yet discovered (the French keep the best quiet and for themselves!).

A few years ago you would not find any reference to this site in any British sites book but I believe that it now appears in the Caravan Club European Sites Book. Enter it into any search engine and you'll find it anyway.

Get into town early in the day for the market, and late at night for the street market - what an atmosphere!

Crumbs why am I not going this year since my AT Ferries booking went up in smoke?!

We travelled across from Calais in one day but it was a hard and long journey. You'll need to take a view on that one, but the roads are much improved since '04

Have a great time

Al
Hi Al - thanks for the advice. I have just checked the Bois Joli in Alan Rogers 2006 book I have and have a question for you. How did you find the shower blocks? It is the only stipulation my wife has made - so you can gather I need to get it right if I ever want to stand a chance of getting a bit of fishing in during this holiday. The site does look like our kind of site and the website also makes it more appealing - not too commercial.

Cheers

Kev

May 24, 2005
Visit site
Hi Al - thanks for the advice. I have just checked the Bois Joli in Alan Rogers 2006 book I have and have a question for you. How did you find the shower blocks? It is the only stipulation my wife has made - so you can gather I need to get it right if I ever want to stand a chance of getting a bit of fishing in during this holiday. The site does look like our kind of site and the website also makes it more appealing - not too commercial.

Cheers

Kev
Hi Kevin and sorry for the delay in responding, we've been 'vanning over the past week and have only just returned.

Shower blocks? - No problem whatsoever. I seem to recall that there were about three large blocks on site all quite modern and tidy with separate areas for men and women 'er indoors will have nothing to worry about - but don't quote me!

As for fishing, there is a pier quite close by where we saw many locals catching some small sprat-like fish by using worm or mussels, with groundbait made up of crushed mussels and sand! I kid you not. As for serious fishing, I have no idea about this area.

If you end up at Bois Jolie, I'm sure that you'll enjoy - best of luck.

Al

May 24, 2005
Visit site
Hi Kevin and sorry for the delay in responding, we've been 'vanning over the past week and have only just returned.

Shower blocks? - No problem whatsoever. I seem to recall that there were about three large blocks on site all quite modern and tidy with separate areas for men and women 'er indoors will have nothing to worry about - but don't quote me!

As for fishing, there is a pier quite close by where we saw many locals catching some small sprat-like fish by using worm or mussels, with groundbait made up of crushed mussels and sand! I kid you not. As for serious fishing, I have no idea about this area.

If you end up at Bois Jolie, I'm sure that you'll enjoy - best of luck.

Al

May 24, 2005
Visit site
Kevin,

Just checked out the Alan Rogers site to which you referred - it is not the site that I recommended to you - I can now understand your wife's trepidation about the ablution blocks!

A slight mis-spelling on my part may have sent you in the wrong direction. Please try www.camping-boisjoly.com. This is at St Jean de Monts, I have no idea where the other one is!

I'm sure that Mrs Kevin will be happier with the showers etc here.

Good luck,

Al

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Kevin, have a great time but dont forget to take some decent storm pegs and straps. Whilst camping at Jolie, we had an horrific storm, the French flag looked like it was made out of hardboard, the sand cleaned the rust of the car and Eurocamp lost about 10 tents from this site alone. This was in 1988, but they don't call it the "Savage Coast" for nothing. After all this we did have a very good time, site and the beach are very good. Dont forget to take some decent pegs, very sandy soil, Bazz. Enjoy!!

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Hi Mike

Sorry about the delay.

We arrived home last Sunday at 6.00pm and the holiday went as follows:-

We stayed overnight at Black Horse Farm, a CC site before crossing to Calais on Sat 1st April. We disembarked at 11.00am and traveled the 430 miles to La Yole near to St Jean de Monts, arriving at about 9.00pm and spending the night in the large parking area which is across the road from reception.

The journey was uneventful which took in a mid journey lunch break and 3 stops to refuel the Shogun. The average towing consumption was 12mpg. Not breaking any laws I drove at a steady 65 - 70 mph which allowing for slower parts of the journey I averaged 50mph.

The route that the sat nav took me was from Calais to the very beautiful Rouen, then back on a toll motorway towards Le-Mans (which the road network by passed) and then onto the west coast. The last 40 miles or so are on very high quality D roads.

Anyone concerned about driving on the continent need not worry because the French roads are a pleasure to use. They are very well signed with the next town clearly displayed. Not sure about the toll charges until the Nationwide statement drops on the mat.

We were first to check in to La Yole and saw few others for the week leading up to Easter. It is difficult to comment on the site 'cause Easter is very much out of season. The shop, restaurant and bar were not open but the both pools were open, giving 4 children much splashing enjoyment. The site's toilets and showers are very clean and well maintained. A new water heating system in the shower block was giving some teething problems.

The site is very well laid out with pitches of about 10 X 10 metres. However, when we arrived there were some very wet pitches but they soon dried out.

The site houses many static caravans and has Eurocamp tents.

The nearest beach is about 1 mile away and is adjacent to an area of a few shops and bars with 2 larger supermarkets (Super U).

The whole St Jean de Monts area is beautifully clean and maintained. Traffic islands have colorful floral pictures upon them.

Local market is held every Wed and Sat in St Jean.

Weather was wonderful throughout, until the night before the awning was to be taken down, the law according to Sod.

We left at 9 00am on Sat 14th and traveled back to Calais by the same route.

We returned to Dover on the 9.50pm boat and crashed out for the night at The Royal Oak, a CC CL in Capel le Ferne between Dover and Folkestone.

The last leg of the journey commenced at 11.00am when we left the CL and joined the M20, having traveled for about 5 miles we came to a stop and the next 3 hours were spent traveling 2 miles to junction 10 where the motorway was closed for bridgeworks.

What a contrast to the 460 miles of pleasurable motoring that I towed across France.

Cant wait for our next foreign holiday to Spain in August.....El Delfin Verde Here we come!!!!!!!

Anyone have any specific questions? Just ask.

BRUM

Mar 20, 2006
Visit site
Brum,

Just a few questions fromn your excellent post about La Yole.

What is the amapage of the site electrics and is it reverse polarity ?

Are you allowed to site any items on your pitch in addition to your caravan and awning - such as a gazebo - without any additional charge.

Can you say approximately how much the toll charges were for your journey each way.

Many thanks

I cannot wait until we set off on the 20th

Mike

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Hello Mike

I hope to answer your questions as follows:

The Amperage on site I think is 10A. We did not manage to "trip the switch" in spite of water heater, micro wave, deep fat frier and TV all in constant use.

Our pitch did not have reverse polarity but we may have been lucky although I carry a negative adaptor. The site sockets are the traditional "foreign" type.

You are able to erect gazebos at no extra charge on pitches which are marked by small hedges. I squeezed our caravan (7.8 Metres), full awning with an annexxe and a 4 Metre square gazebo onto the pitch but there was little space left to park the car on the pitch. I took advantage of the many vacant pitches by parking on one of them during the daytime but I would not have been able to do that during busy times.

Toll charges, I have checked the statement and the charges for the 3 toll sections were 7.71p, 25.43p, and 7.10p each way.

PS use a free to use abroad credit card.

PPS. Do you know that pitches have their own fresh water and waste connections.

Have a great holliday.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts