Caravanning in a hot climate

Jun 16, 2023
Visit site
Hi All,

We are planning to caravan in a hot climate (south France/Spain) for the first time. Please share some practical advices dos/donts .

E.g. aircon is a must have? Keep windows shut during the day? How to protect from mosquitos?

Thanks!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We went to the south of France in mid June time and did not have aircon. Highest temperatures we encountered was 38deg C.
We always took a Coleman extreme cool box that would be used to keep food cool and store ice. So we didn’t have to shop every day. The caravan fridge could struggle at times despite me fitting an auxiliary fan to move air over its heat exchanger.

Didn’t find mosquitoes a problem in the van as the insect blinds were effective. But sometimes around woods in the evening midges could be an irritant so we would use Deet.

During the day in hot days the caravans reflective blinds would be drawn.

Overall it’s not much different to what you do in hot weather here. Just enjoy it.

Reactions: Paullus1959
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Exactly the same as Clive, but we had a couple of 12 inch fans for blowing the air about. Ant traps and spray for putting around the stays.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
You can buy kits, but I made my own, thermostatically controlled fridge ventilation. It really helped the fridge operation.

Examples here.

Some sites have good shaded areas, either trees or sails. But no doubt you will be charged a premium.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I should add that when the reflective blinds were down in daytime the windows would be opened and the blinds not 100% all the way down. Otherwise there’s the risk of excessive heat build up between blind and window.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Some people do find AC a comfort.

There are few purpose designed AC units for caravans, These are quite expensive. Not all caravans can have roof mounted ones becasue the roof structure may not be strong enough. check with your supplier. Roof mounted ones also put quite an additional weight up high in the caravan and might affect towing handling. Floor mounted ones obviously take up storage space, and also have a weight penalty. Most models are limited to about 2kW of power, which is only a fraction of power you car's AC use, so don't expect artic temperature capability.

Domestic mobile compressor AC units have very limited capability , becasue they rarely keep the cool and hot airflows adequately segregated. Some can duct the hot condenser air but that need either a door or a window to be opened for the duct, and its difficult to make an adequate seal around the ducts.

I cannot recommend even considering a evaporative water cooler , as these are not very efficient, and they become a perfect nursery for cultivating air born bacteria and viruses. They also raise the humidity inside the caravan, which further counters the ability to cool the air.

Often you can make yourself more comfortable by using fans.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have travelled to south of France and also Spain during the warmer months. We have dogs so air con was essential. The air con was set to about 20C so not overly cool as you would really feel the heat if you stepped outside the caravan. All windows close except bathroom roof vent. Warm air rises.

Our fridge vents out into the awning and as a precaution I had normal fan on the table outside blowing air into the bottom vent and we never had any issues despite temperatures exceeding 30C. Many campsites in Spain have the facility to rent a small compressor fridge if required.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have travelled to south of France and also Spain during the warmer months. We have dogs so air con was essential. The air con was set to about 20C so not overly cool as you would really feel the heat if you stepped outside the caravan. All windows close except bathroom roof vent. Warm air rises.

Our fridge vents out into the awning and as a precaution I had normal fan on the table outside blowing air into the bottom vent and we never had any issues despite temperatures exceeding 30C. Many campsites in Spain have the facility to rent a small compressor fridge if required.
Why is aircon essential for dogs? What did tourists and locals do before aircon became available? In hot weather here or abroad our two would go and crash out under the caravan.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Why is aircon essential for dogs? What did tourists and locals do before aircon became available? In hot weather here or abroad our two would go and crash out under the caravan.
Our dogs have long coats and we like to take care of them. Also an excuses for us to enjoy the comfort using an air con as we were very used to it in very hot and humid weather. Both of us can handle the heat no issue, but it is the humidity level that is the killer. Speaking from experience!

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I have a Cool My Camper type portable aircon unit that's designed for caravans and motor homes. It fits over the caravans window cill. Part remains outside and part inside. They are connected by a flat umbilical so the window can be shut (the rubber seal compresses around the umbilical).

It works, but as others have said its not like a cars aircon, or roof mounted aircon which we had in a MH I would liken it to underfloor domestic heating compared to a fan heater. It needs to be running pretty much full time to gain any real benefit. It doesn't make a vast difference to the temperature 4-5⁰C but what it does do is really reduce the humidity, so it's far more comfortable.
If on a site with metered electricity I expect it woukd possibly be rather expensive to use all the time.
The 2 units can slot together to move them but the don't come apart into 2 seperate units, so are a but cumbersome to move. They are also not lightweight so I carry mine in the back of my (estate) car rather than in the caravan. Do I consider it essential? No, but it's very nice to have when it gets seriously hot. We used in tge Lore one year when it was mid to high 30's and it was lovely, but we had all the blinds shut all day and it was running early morning to mid evening. I picked mine up off Facebook marketplace. Even after having it regassed it cost less than 50% of the new cost!

Fridge fans are, to my mind, are essential when it gets hot. I have fitted them to about 8 leisure vehicles now, I don't buy the overpriced kits I use computer fans zip tied to the inside of the top vent to draw air through the cavity. I fit a small illuminated switch inside the caravan, the fans are very quiet but can just be heard at night, so they get switched off at bedtime. Total cost about a tenner plus a couple of hors of my time.They certainly improve the fridge efficiency.

Reactions: Shaino
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Fridge fans are, to my mind, are essential when it gets hot. I have fitted them to about 8 leisure vehicles now, I don't buy the overpriced kits I use computer fans zip tied to the inside of the top vent to draw air through the cavity. I fit a small illuminated switch inside the caravan, the fans are very quiet but can just be heard at night, so they get switched off at bedtime. Total cost about a tenner plus a couple of hours of my time.They certainly improve the fridge efficiency.

Can't you fit a thermostat to control the fans so that they switch on and off as required? If we are able to go to France this year earliest is Sept so fridge should be okay. Next year if we get to Spain it will be May / June so maybe consider having fans fitted before then, Relatively easy job. Just got to remember not to reverse the fans or the wiring. LOL! :ROFLMAO:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Can't you fit a thermostat to control the fans so that they switch on and off as required? If we are able to go to France this year earliest is Sept so fridge should be okay. Next year if we get to Spain it will be May / June so maybe consider having fans fitted before then, Relatively easy job. Just got to remember not to reverse the fans or the wiring. LOL! :ROFLMAO:
I had mine on a thermostat but found it irritated me at nights cutting in and out, so like Plodd I just switched it off.

Reactions: Mr Plodd
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Someone looks very comfy and I don't mean the dog's mattress. LOL! :D I have never been able to sleep during the day except when I was working night shift way back in the late sixties.
I cultivated the art when doing watches which seemed to play havoc with my body clock. These days though it’s just old age moving along.

• Haha
Reactions: Buckman
Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Morning Shaino.
I don't know if this is you first trip into Europe or the first time to the hotter regions so, hopefully I'm not trying to teach you how to suck eggs.
Echoing some of the comments above, we don't have aircon and have comfortably survived a heatwave in Brittany where the temperatures hit 42°C for over a week.
The insulation on modern caravans is very effective at keeping heat in during cold weather and out in hot weather. Closing the blinds facing the Sun and opening windows to assist air flow with a couple of desk fans keeps things comfortable.

We have a 45 litre electric coolbox for beer wine, water and for food that doesn't need to be kept in the fridge.
I have also fitted a fridge vent fan kit which helps the caravan fridge to maintain safe low temperatures.

Keep food stuffs in sealed containers as ants especially and mice can be a real nuisance. I had ants inside the caravan last year. I ended up sprinkling ant powder around the feet of the corner steadies and on the electric cable where it left the ground to stop them from climbing up there.

We were on the Ile de Re last September and we did suffer with mosquitos, especially after dark so, take a good repellant and keep the mesh screens closed on the door, windows and roof lights. Consider also anti mosquito spray and plug-in devices. Regarding mosquitos, there is a particularly nasty species called the Tiger Mosquito which has got a foothold in parts of France and they carry all sorts of nasty diseases.

European electrical wiring standards are different to the UK and some EHU have reversed polarity. I know some caravans are designed to cope with reverse polarity but mine isn't so the fridge won't work properly. So, I take a polarity tester and conversion socket with me in case the EHU polarity is reversed.

Check to see if you need a Crit Air sticker and the Spanish equivalent for your car, as many larger cities are imposing clean air rules with hefty fines for infringement.

Don't forget to take the requisite emergency equipment in your car required for the country your in. For instance, warning triangles, two in France. Hi-Viz jacket for each occupant and within easy reach, not in the boot.

Finally, You don't mention taking dogs with you. I'm not anti dog but I am anti selfish dog owner. We had the misfortune of being next to a British couple with a motorhome and three large dogs last year. The dogs would be shut up in the motorhome while the couple went out for day trips and the dogs barked incessantly. When the couple returned and the dogs were barking he bellowed at them at the top of his voice to shut up, further disturbing the peace. French campsites are usually fairly tranquil places but this couple ruined the ambience of it for many around them and attracted numerous complaints to the management over the three weeks we were there but, it made no difference. If you are taking dogs away on holiday with you, don't leave them couped up while you go out for the day, take them with you or leave them in kennels.

Enjoy your holiday. We're back to France in May and September for six weeks, can't wait.

Reactions: PTA and Shaino
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Actually opening the windows in hot weather is one of the worse things you can do. Keep all side windows closed and also the blinds. Open vent in bathroom and if possible open sky light a little bit and pull blind closed. Keep as dark as possible.

Hot air rises and can escape out of the vent and open skylight. As said caravan is well insulated and keeping the air in it cool helps. Also hot air rising from the ground is vented into the caravan through the open window as it is nicely angled to catch all the hot air.

Looking around at houses in France and Spain you will see that many will have shutters that are closed to keep the home dark and cool inside. Same applies even if you. have air con, but you can open the blinds on windows on the opposite side to where the sun is shining, but never leave the door open!

I echo the sentiments on dogs as we have two terriers and try and take them with us wherever we go except to the supermarket when it is better to leave them in the caravan with water some biscuits and air con switched on.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Actually opening the windows in hot weather is one of the worse things you can do. Keep all side windows closed and also the blinds. Open vent in bathroom and if possible open sky light a little bit and pull blind closed. Keep as dark as possible.

Hot air rises and can escape out of the vent and open skylight. As said caravan is well insulated and keeping the air in it cool helps. Also hot air rising from the ground is vented into the caravan through the open window as it is nicely angled to catch all the hot air.

Looking around at houses in France and Spain you will see that many will have shutters that are closed to keep the home dark and cool inside. Same applies even if you. have air con, but you can open the blinds on windows on the opposite side to where the sun is shining, but never leave the door open!

I echo the sentiments on dogs as we have two terriers and try and take them with us wherever we go except to the supermarket when it is better to leave them in the caravan with water some biscuits and air con switched on.
Our summer routine in hot weather Is exactly as you say, blinds, curtains and windows shut, until sun moves away in the evening tgen it’s all open to let cooler air in. Sometimes even the loft opening is opened to aid warm air movement out of the house.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
That is what I did. Something like this.

They can be mounted so they are visible, but I put mine in a small waterproof box hidden on top of the fridge. It took a while to get the temperatures set, but it could be forgotten about after that. In hot weather, I could just hear it switch in and out about once per minute. Mine was quiet enough to not bother us sleeping. But a decent fan, or fans is needed.

I mounted two fans behind the top vent. At first it was too noisy. Then I wired them in series, they were slower but much quieter.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We would open our windows a bit if we had the reflective blinds down. And the blind would only be 3/4 of it’s way down. That way you don’t get the intense heat build up in the space between blind and window.
Night latch should be okay with air con.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Night latch should be okay with air con.
I was referring to daytime use of blinds as that’s when excess solar heat can develop that some say may damage the window. Nighttime’s we never had a problem in hot weather as ambient and caravan tended to reduce to a comfortable temperature.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I was referring to daytime use of blinds as that’s when excess solar heat can develop that some say may damage the window. Nighttime’s we never had a problem in hot weather as ambient and caravan tended to reduce to a comfortable temperature.
I am sure you cna use the night latch during the day? :unsure:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts