CLEANED AND CHECKED VAN TODAY :-)

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Managed to get the steps out yesterday and with a long handled wash brush clean off the roof and then all round the sides with a sponge. I use a car shampoo followed by a rinse. Yesterday was a great bright day for it, but this morning it is getting rinsed by nature with a couple of fairly heavy showers and continuing rain forecast until about 4.00! I like to use the caravan step inside to reach out of the Heki rooflight and squeeze my hand out of the rooflights too, and clean the edges of the roof that are concealed from the outside, but that will have to wait to another day!
We also have one of those extending brush/ brooms connecting with the hose. Today in Factory warehouse they were selling two types of these , one with squeezy and mop the other a brush . Price £5.99, I got the brush one as our "broom" one is everlasting leaking at the connecting point .

May 24, 2014
Visit site
We made a start on ours today. Spent last night and today removing cupboard doors and drawers in order to reattach most of the edge foils on the said doors. Strange one, they have only peeled off the white doors and bed boxes, and white drawers. The fancier wood finish overhead lockers, and the dark grey ones in the kitchen area arent affected. Only the white ones. Last year we had to do about half of the foils, this year the other half.
Its only when you start to refit the doors that you realise just how badly aligned everything is. Everything else tested and working as it should. Took me a while to aquaint myself with all the light switches, they are everywhere on this caravan.

Im thinking that once the panoramic window is repaired, Ill let Tourershine work their magic on it. I believe they have a very good reputation.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
My first caravan had a clean by tourershine and was brilliant result, I’ve got them booked to do present caravan in May and although it’s not too bad currently I’ll post before and after pictures, I’ve no doubt it will be excellent.

BP

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
I have conversed with the guy who invented Fenwicks products, the caravan cleaner in particular.
I‘ve tried everything and confirm too, Fenwicks caravan cleaner does the job.
BTW if you are ever in The Swettenham Arms , Swettenham Village new Congleton ask after the Fenwicks man!
My next door neighbour but one's daughter is married to his son. I think they live in Wynbunbury now.
Swettenham Arms is our "go to" pub.
Small world!

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We made a start on ours today. Spent last night and today removing cupboard doors and drawers in order to reattach most of the edge foils on the said doors. Strange one, they have only peeled off the white doors and bed boxes, and white drawers. The fancier wood finish overhead lockers, and the dark grey ones in the kitchen area arent affected. Only the white ones. Last year we had to do about half of the foils, this year the other half.
Its only when you start to refit the doors that you realise just how badly aligned everything is. Everything else tested and working as it should. Took me a while to aquaint myself with all the light switches, they are everywhere on this caravan.

Im thinking that once the panoramic window is repaired, Ill let Tourershine work their magic on it. I believe they have a very good reputation.
At present we having weird weather frosty, sleet showers , and sunshine and then wash and wax nearer the time before we go to Pickering

May 24, 2014
Visit site
To cap it all, having repaired all the door foils, we now find two curtain tracks coming lose. Now heres the thing, the front one is screwed in place its entire length. The side ones screwed at the front and sticky tape at the rear. I ask you, why? The side rear one is sticky tape its entire length. There us no reason these couldnt have been screwed up at manufacture. The materials they are fixed to is the same right down the van. There are no wires behind nor pipes. Not impressed.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Well ----- Rang one of my favourite CLs this morning, to see when he has a pitch for a week, Saying I'm open to any date he has a pitch. "How about next Saturday 17th for seven nights" Yes please. Just need to do a bit of shopping, and make sure I have enough pairs of the necessities. Check lights. then off Saturday. ;););)

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I bought a bottle of the Aldi caravan cleaner, I wasn’t expecting it to be much good to be honest, can’t remember price but either 1.99 or 2.99 I think and I’ve just used it and I’m well impressed, I just had a bucket of warm water wither 5 capfuls and a long handled brush that’s supposed to attach to the hose but I just dipped it in the bucket, it’s come up great, I could probably spend loads more time but I’ve left the roof and all the little bits and not polished, I’ve left the perfection job to the tourershine guy who’s coming on the 14th May

BP

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I bought a bottle of the Aldi caravan cleaner, I wasn’t expecting it to be much good to be honest, can’t remember price but either 1.99 or 2.99 I think and I’ve just used it and I’m well impressed, I just had a bucket of warm water wither 5 capfuls and a long handled brush that’s supposed to attach to the hose but I just dipped it in the bucket, it’s come up great, I could probably spend loads more time but I’ve left the roof and all the little bits and not polished, I’ve left the perfection job to the tourershine guy who’s coming on the 14th May

BP
Hi Beehpee Thanks for this tip on Aldi caravan cleaner might try some out on our caravan it will need a clean middle of next week before we go away

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
Been warm and overcast here today so took the opportunity to give the van a good wash, it was manky after the tow home from Betws y Coed a week or so ago, lovely and clean now and ready for next weekend at a new (to us) site in Shrewsbury.
Took the opportunity to remove both the rear light clusters, clean and polish behind them and also give the edges of the clusters a clean. Should cutdown on the black streaks that run out from behind them.
Did the same with the 3 high level rear/side lights. Looks much better.
Whilst I had the lights off, I removed the bulbs and connectors and applied a blob of contralube on them to prevent any corrosion.

Kev

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
I was just saying to wife , get the van along thursday from storage and wash it lol , she been along and all is well. She says i anal and dont need to wash it every weekend away lol.🙈🙈🙈

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I was just saying to wife , get the van along thursday from storage and wash it lol , she been along and all is well. She says i anal and dont need to wash it every weekend away lol.🙈🙈🙈
No I give ours a good wash every time out, and when we come home Mrs H gives the shower and toilet a good clean down. Its got to be done.

Reactions: Kevin M
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our neighbour on the storage site has a large single axle Fleetwood. It was dirty even last summer and as time progressed it got much much worse. Before we went to Yorkshire in early May it had so much mould and black streaks it looked camouflaged. We went to the caravan to put the kit back after it’s damp test. And what a revelation, the Fleetwood was absolutely sparkling and even its sealant looked almost white. I don’t know if the owner did it or the valeter who deals with our storage. I suspect the valeter as it was there on Wednesday and there again on Thursday afternoon. Whoever did the spruce up has made it look brilliant.

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
I couldn’t go away in a dirty van, if kept clean it doesn’t take long at all.
The Boss keeps inside sparkling.

Now I’ve read about Contralube it sounds amazing👍👍👍

Contralube is fantastic, used it for years since racing classic bikes.
Well worth buying a tube, lasts for ever!

Kev

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Our neighbour on the storage site has a large single axle Fleetwood. It was dirty even last summer and as time progressed it got much much worse. Before we went to Yorkshire in early May it had so much mould and black streaks it looked camouflaged. We went to the caravan to put the kit back after it’s damp test. And what a revelation, the Fleetwood was absolutely sparkling and even its sealant looked almost white. I don’t know if the owner did it or the valeter who deals with our storage. I suspect the valeter as it was there on Wednesday and there again on Thursday afternoon. Whoever did the spruce up has made it look brilliant.
That must be GagaKevs Caravan , he never cleaned it and when he did he found cracks in the front panel. .

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Been warm and overcast here today so took the opportunity to give the van a good wash, it was manky after the tow home from Betws y Coed a week or so ago, lovely and clean now and ready for next weekend at a new (to us) site in Shrewsbury.
Took the opportunity to remove both the rear light clusters, clean and polish behind them and also give the edges of the clusters a clean. Should cutdown on the black streaks that run out from behind them.
Did the same with the 3 high level rear/side lights. Looks much better.
Whilst I had the lights off, I removed the bulbs and connectors and applied a blob of contralube on them to prevent any corrosion.

Kev
Hi Kev i hope the caravan looking Fab and i hope you have nice time next weekend in Shrewsbury ;)

Reactions: Kevin M
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I hope you get it wash and it looking Fab for your break away

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Clean van to go away-always-and car-trouble is if it rains on the way what do you do-many sites stipulate their water is not for vehicle washing and I really don't blame them-and I refuse to use any waterless stuff in spite of many good reviews-so it has to stay grubby till we're home !
Drives my vehicle clean ocd ness mad!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Clean van to go away-always-and car-trouble is if it rains on the way what do you do-many sites stipulate their water is not for vehicle washing and I really don't blame them-and I refuse to use any waterless stuff in spite of many good reviews-so it has to stay grubby till we're home !
Drives my vehicle clean ocd ness mad!
The last place at Pickering you were are not allowed to wash the car or caravan so like what say we always do ours as well . ;)

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I never go away with a dirty car or van, always cleaned before we go away, car most weekends but, that's it.
Everyone to thire own and I don't want to appear over critical but, I can't see the point of cleaning the van when on holiday, I've even left dirtyish windows along for fear of scratching them. The only cleaning items I carry are washing up liquid toothpaste and shower gel. It's all extra weight to carry them around.
I'll now retire to a safe distance and keep my head down.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I never go away with a dirty car or van, always cleaned before we go away, car most weekends but, that's it.
Everyone to thire own and I don't want to appear over critical but, I can't see the point of cleaning the van when on holiday, I've even left dirtyish windows along for fear of scratching them. The only cleaning items I carry are washing up liquid toothpaste and shower gel. It's all extra weight to carry them around.
I'll now retire to a safe distance and keep my head down.
Like you I’ve never washed a caravan when on site but I will wash the front windows. But using copious amounts of water with washing up detergent and dry with kitchen roll.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have a problem in that the storage site will not let us wash the caravan on site on the basis we might pollute a stream. Been there years and never had a problem before but very difficult to be sure I can do it at home because of parked cars outside so it might have to wait until we are on site. It is pretty clean considering the problem though.
A full wash might have to wait until we ae at Whitewater Park, where hopefully we can use the wash there.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts