Cleaning of tourer

Jun 25, 2005
Visit site
good morning all

ive just brought a 1996 ABi Nightstar unfortunatly its in a bit of a state due to it been in outdoor storage for some time and as you can image it needs a good clean, the problem is though that i live in the three valleys water area and we currently have a hose ban, normally id use a bucket of hot soapy water to wash my old tourer and my jet wash.

on visiting the water company site its still unclear about the use of jetwashes for tourers, it specifys not to use on private cars but goes on to say about use of jetwashes for windows and drives as been acceptable but use in a sensible manner.

my problem is the tourer i have is so green and dirty especially round the seals and gullys that it needs a jet wash to get the grime off.

so if anyone has any pearls of wisdom to make it a little easier to clean my tourer i would be gratefull.

regards Dave (Luton)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would be very careful before you use a jet wash (pressure washer?) on a caravan, especially around the seals. It will take off the grime, but will also have a serious effect on the sealing material.

You might end up with a clean caravan that leaks like a sieve.

Jun 25, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Zbungle for your comments

the thing i forgot to mention was this tourer is in bad shape anyway due to the fact it has leaky seals, this is due to the previous owner handpainting the bodywork, so i need to clean away the green and grime and flaking paint to get at the seals and then the body work is to be prepared and resprayed. i have repaired three previous tourers the last been my abbey lancaster, this ABI Awrd nightstar Nightstar i only paid 250.00 for and i know i have to spend at least 900-1000 on it but its worth a lot more than that. so ill take the chance with the jet wash if only to get at the real problems. like i say though the water company really does not make it clear in my opinion.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
David, have you considered steam cleaning the bodywork? I used to always steam clean cars before I prepared them for painting. Normally you wouldn't consider it, but if you're not worried about the seals there's nothing to stop you.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Call me irresponsible, but as it's a one-off I'd just get on and pressure wash it. I did my patio and path a couple of weeks ago, but I only do it once a year. It's not as if you're washing your car twice a week. Do it away from nosy neighbours and people who have got a grudge against you and want to dob you in it, and you'll have no problems.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Now then this might sound a little daft, but how about this for a plan.

Using a bucket of soapy water (Fenwicks is my preference) soap the van all over. Mean while, gte her in doors to fill the bath with water to the brim. Then using a garden hose placed through the bathroom window syphon off the bath water. The natural water pressure should give a reasonable flow and hey presto, a low pressure jet wash.

Best of all you are technically recycling the "bath water".

May 21, 2008
Visit site

Using a bucket of soapy water (Fenwicks is my preference) soap the van all over. Mean while, gte her in doors to fill the bath with water to the brim. Then using a garden hose placed through the bathroom window syphon off the bath water. The natural water pressure should give a reasonable flow and hey presto, a low pressure jet wash.

forgot to add only works in a house with upstairs bathroom.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
David

Take a trip to your local motorcycle shop and buy a product called muckoff

spray a panel at a time, wait a few mins then wash off with a sponge from a bucket. This will clean the green off without the pressure that will damage the seals

Steve

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
muckoff I've heard is good. I park mine under some trees worst luck so every year I wash it down with shampoo and a sweeping brush. I then bleach it all over, takes a little time but only a couple of hours and it looks like new again. Pressure washers wont get the worst off as you know and the steam cleaner can get into the seals as discussed above. Just an idea :)

Aug 21, 2005
Visit site

As an extra to the bath idea:

Fill same bath full to the brim. The hose that normally would go from the pressure washer to the tap, run from the washer to the bath (through the window). This will syphon of the water from the bath. If anyone questions it, you are using used water from the bath are you not?

Steve

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts