Cornish pasties

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all, In the summer we had a fortnight in Cornwall and set about finding the best pasty. I have to say that most were good but few were memorable. Anne's pasty shop on the Lizard, one of Rick Stein's Food Heroes, was a bit disappointing. By far the best that we tried were from Philps in Hayle. They really were fantastic. If any of you are in the area (Godrevy site nearby) do check it out. Coincidentally, the best curry we have had in Cornwall was also in Hayle from the Balti King. Do you have favourite 'eateries' that you can recommend? Best wishes, George T.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Oh George

You're bringing back nice memories for me. I think you're spoilt for choice in Cornwall. However, the best pasty shop within a short radius of Bodmin which we've been to is one in Camelford, (almost opposite Boots). I have the cheese and onion and daughter and husband have meat varieties. (The dogs like the traditional ones). I always visit that shop on the last day of our holidays as my mum and aunt like me to buy a dozen or so each for them (they freeze them).

Next year, I'll give the Balti King a go, can't beat a good curry.

Thanks for your recommendations.

Regards

Lisa.

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
I have had some really nice pasties at a shop near the beach in Looe and also from a shop by Mevagissey Harbour.

Best curries have always been somewher between the NEC and Birmingham (Small Heath - home of BSA?), Wroxham side of Wroxham bridge in Norfolk or my local takeaway.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
If you are ever in helston in cornwall try the horse and jockey pasty shop its up the top of town, they are ace and massive, I think they are the best, but the wife thinks philps in hale

Kevin H

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Cornish pasties are great but, did you know, that they were originally made by the wives of the lead miners. They were very different then, however, as each pasty was savoury at one end and sweet at the other. Now we only get the savoury bit!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi All, I shall certainly try some of the recommendations listed here. It seems a shame that one of the most famous pasties, certainly the most widely available, is also one of the worst in my opinion. Loads of thick chewy pastry and a filling that always seems to have gristle somewhere. I belive they start with G and end in insters! Best wishes, George T.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
George T, G****ers pasties Cornish, dont make me laugh. They tried to move the making of these to Winchester a few years ago and was told to drop the cornish bit off the name, hence still made JUST inside cornwall, as for being a pasty YUK

should be taken to trades discription for that.

Kevin H

Sep 23, 2006
Visit site
If we are down in St Ives we get our pasties from a place called the Yellow Canary, down in the main shopping street, at the end furthest from the harbour.They are SCRUMMY!

May 25, 2005
Visit site
If anyone is interested I have a recipe for a traditional pasty. I will be happy to post it on forum for you all. Meat end only! They are easy to make and if batch cooked can be frozen ready for taking along in the caravan freezer compartment. You cannot beat the home made variety as you know exactly who has prepared it/them and what has been added.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi Emmerson

Here is your recipe. Sorry I had gone of line at the time of your request.

The filling is for ONE traditional pasty, so you will need to increase this for batch baking.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
1. Dice and chop into small pieces 150g of vegetables made up of five parts potato, two parts swede and two parts onion.

2. Chop 55g of chuck or skirt steak into 1cm pieces.

3. Roll out 150g of flaky pastry and trim into a circle using an upturned plate. (If buying pastry from Supermarket make sure you can refreeze it! Have a look in the Chiller Cabinets.).

4. Place swede and onion in the centre of the pastry. Place the meat along the top then add potato. Salt and pepper to taste.

5. Gather the two sides of pastry and press firmly together.

6. Crimp the pastry along the seal by turning over the edges. This is harder than it looks so a bit of trial and error is necessary.

7. Place on a greased baking tray. Slit the top with a knife and place in a hot oven, 220C, gas mark 7 or 425F for 40 mins.

8. Remove and eat either piping hot or warm.

They can be frozen once cooked.

Hope you enjoy them!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Cornish Pasties? We only have one when we go to Tintagel and that is from a shop at the top of the village ,i think its called king Arthurs [most things are in Tintagel].

The same bakery also has shops in Bude and St Ives .

We will certainly try Phillips in Hale and the Balty House

Coljac

Oct 11, 2006
Visit site
Hi George,

We were in Cornwall last summer and the two beat pasties we bought were from a shop on the high street in Newquay and from a small family run shop in St Ives. Incidently, St Ives also came 1st in the ice cream league too.

Dave W

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
Dewdney also have a shop in Exeter - good pasties.

best one's we've had in Cornwall - high street in Looe.

We didnt like Ann's pasties in the Lizard either...may appeal to some - but not our idea of a pasty (bit bland)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Haven't been there for years, but near the C & CC site at Veryan is a tiny little cove called Portholland. There is a small post office at one end of the beach next to a row of cottages. The PO sells excellent pasties, made in St Austell I think. Fond memories.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Simon, Have read your comments regarding Ivor Dewdney and indeed they make an excellent pasty. I used to eat them nearly 30 years ago as a student and sampled them again this summer. However good they are, I don't think they match Philps of Hayle. I look forward to trying some of the other suggestions mentioned here next summer. I am sure that the pasty would appeal to our continental friends too. I wonder how a store in France or Germany would fair? A smash I would have thought! Best wishes, George T.

G

Where have you all been?

No one has mentioned Crantock Pasties from the Crantock bakery Newquay.

They have a thriving export market especially in Germany as even the BBC reported some while back.

www.crantockbakery.co.uk

Check out the site and they used to have a shop in Newquay and other outlets sell Crantock pasties.

Haven't been to Cornwall for a few years but they have been are favourite for years, and of course any one who visits and leaves Plymouth without having an "I've had me IVOR" sticker has missed a local cultural treat!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Ive got to agree with George T, Philps in Hayle are the best. When in Cornwall I drive miles to get my pasty from them. I then drive to the Island carpark in St. Ives to eat it and its still piping hot. I always have a medium sized one, don't think I could manage the large. When you have a Philps all others are put in the shade. My mouth is watering just typing about them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts