Covering up

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Hi all.
After one weekend away with the van and a quick glance at the calendar, it dismays me to learn that we may not be able to get away with our new pride and joy till after Christmas :(

Therefore, as the van lives on our drive, can any recommend the best way of keeping it in tip top condition for the winter (maybe there's a checklist somewhere)???

I'm thinking cleaning followed possibly by a full cover or are these not recommended. I've heard people who swear by them and also from those who wouldn't cover a caravan ever.

What's your recommendation.

Picture of van in it's bed is supplied so you can see what it is up against. (the tree at the back is right up against it and over the top at the back) although I could chop it back a bit if that would help.

Cheers

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I would chop them down !! :p
I had to take 4 conifers down on my drive to get mine on but looking at your picture I would suggest a cover but mine doesn't get covered so I'm not too sure what other people use so no doubt someone will come along and tell you their choices . Good luck .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ste6t9 said:
Hi all.
After one weekend away with the van and a quick glance at the calendar, it dismays me to learn that we may not be able to get away with our new pride and joy till after Christmas :(

Therefore, as the van lives on our drive, can any recommend the best way of keeping it in tip top condition for the winter (maybe there's a checklist somewhere)???

I'm thinking cleaning followed possibly by a full cover or are these not recommended. I've heard people who swear by them and also from those who wouldn't cover a caravan ever.

What's your recommendation.

Picture of van in it's bed is supplied so you can see what it is up against. (the tree at the back is right up against it and over the top at the back) although I could chop it back a bit if that would help.

Cheers

I think that your previous thread has lots of recommendation for what to do when the van isn't being used especially in winter. But most of the focus on water, electrics and internal ventilation.

Covers are a bit of a Marmite issue. I've never used cover mainly because I see it as an unrequired expense and something to be dried and stored. Also the van must be clean before you put it on otherwise it will scratch windows and paintwork.

My routine over the years for winter is a good wash down with Fenwicks Caravan Cleaner. Then spray two applications of Fenwick Overwintering, letting it dry between applications. Then it stays like that until spring. If you go out over Winter it will pick up muck and you can either live with it, or repeat the Fenwicks process. In spring it is washed with Fenwicks Caravan Cleaner, and Fenwicks Black Streak Remover used if required. I sometime polish it with Autglym and then maintenance is using Fenwicks Cleaner and Bobby Dazzler.

Window, external locker and door seals I treat spring and autumn with the same stuff that I use to stop our car doors freezing; Stiffi Gummi Pflege, readily obtainable from Amazon, ebay or online car outlets. I used to use Armorall but this German stuff is very good.

PS yes trim the tree overhang away.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Have a look at 'End of Season', a recent topic which dealt with what to do if you're not using your caravan for a while during the colder months.
I'd definitely cut that tree back in case it drops resin, bird poo or leaf debris onto your caravan paintwork.
A good alternative to a caravan cover which could scratch your windows is a coat of automotive wax after you've washed the caravan using Fenwick's shampoo (or any other proprietary caravan shampoo) and dried the paintwork with a microfibre towel.
I use Collinite Insulator Wax, after the container has stood in a bucket of warm water it is very easy to apply and buffs with very little effort to provide a very tough weatherproof protective and good looking coating for around three months.
Top Tip: Lower the jockey wheel to lower the nose of the caravan when it's stored so that water or snow will run off the roof without forming puddles on roof panels.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
We have purchased a Pro-Tec tailored caravan cover for use all year round (not yet delivered), as we used one on our old caravan; it keeps it cleaner and also protects it from UV damage. Our old caravan was a CI Cadet 10; and would accumulate dirt in the window gutters quite quickly. We recently sold it, but it was uncovered for about 6 months prior to sale and got quite dirty.

If you did decide to get a cover, the caravan would need to be spotless prior to fitting. Also windy days can prevent you fitting as it will take off.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Having spent a week on site near trees last month and seen the filth which fell off them I would cover up. We had the same sad look at the diary and just covered ours for the winter (with a new pro-tec cover) after a clean and polish, and hope that when we take the cover off in March we will have a sparkling clean van to start the season with.

We are not planning to use a cover year round, as we don't want to do a thorough clean after every weekend away.

Covers do seem to be debatable and we are just starting out our caravanning ownership, but on balance we decided to get one to keep the van clean and avoid any risk of water freezing in the joints and creating leaks. We will be opening it up for an airing at least once a month.

May 12, 2014
Visit site
We had a Protec cover included with ours, which I've used both winters we've had it - put it on this weekend actually. It's good because there is an opening exactly where the door is, so you can get into the van without taking the cover off. I generally go in and check for damp once a month but have never had a problem, I believe the cover is breathable. It's normally on for 6 months.
It keeps the van clean but I don't think I'd buy one having seen what they cost!

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Hi otherclive, there are other advantages using overwintering .
1)--cost ten years of cover-£50 (2) easy to use at anytime(easy entry)-(3) no storage problems.(4) no trouble in windy conditions etc.etc. Cheers Roger

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I’m with Otherclive.
In 40 years I’ve never used a cover. Whilst some may be ‘breathable’, they are still prone to flapping on windy days. This can cause abrasions to the Windows and paintwork.
Also as regular caravan users throughout the year I can’t be bothered to keep fitting and removing the cover.
I am also a long term user of Fenwicks Overwintering. Certainly works for me. I will try OCs double application method. Off up to Cheshire in 10 days time. Hopefully no snow yet :blink:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
I’m with Otherclive.
In 40 years I’ve never used a cover. Whilst some may be ‘breathable’, they are still prone to flapping on windy days. This can cause abrasions to the Windows and paintwork.
Also as regular caravan users throughout the year I can’t be bothered to keep fitting and removing the cover.
I am also a long term user of Fenwicks Overwintering. Certainly works for me. I will try OCs double application method. Off up to Cheshire in 10 days time. Hopefully no snow yet :blink:

The proof of my double application approach was seen in Shropshire with New Year's Cornish muck still sticking strongly to the van. Must admit though I would normally wash the front panels and re apply Overwintering but with an in house major flood and new underfloor piping plus drying out and decorating we were only too pleased to be able to grab a few days in Shropshire. Its been washed since then by Tilshead Caravans when they fitted a sparkling new rear panel, and by myself sometime during the summer whilst awaiting it new axle. As HM would say 2018 has been a "AH"

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Ok so it’s all cleaned off, currently drying before I fit the cover. Sadly I can’t chop the trees but have removed anything that would be touching it. I expect a cover full of leaves when I take it off in spring.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
I’m not particularly against protecting any investment Ste, and we have a 2017 MY of a dealer special based on your van. We are also fortunate enough to be able to keep our van on the drive and it too is surrounded by trees and overhanging branches, but I would never even consider investing in a cover.

Given the surrounding trees, I do clean the roof thoroughly twice a year, but during periods of infrequent use, it’s great to be able to go inside the van once in a while, put the heating on and wipe the surfaces down etc. Even on a cold, dark, blustery evening, just stepping into it, switching on the control panel above the door and switching on the interior lighting brings a smile to my face.

Having a relatively young family, on the occasional weekend and despite it being on the drive, we’ll even hook the TV up and have a few games of Uno with the kids and find it in some way cathartic just seeing their beaming smiles and being together in the environment in which we’ve shared (and will continue to share) so many great times together. Just having half an hour together in the van on the drive gives us that holiday feeling. A feeling I really do hope you won’t miss out on given your choice to keep your van covered over and potentially inaccessible during the winter months.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Icaru5 said:
I’m not particularly against protecting any investment Ste, and we have a 2017 MY of a dealer special based on your van. We are also fortunate enough to be able to keep our van on the drive, and it is surrounded by trees and overhanging branches, and I would never even consider a cover.

Given the surrounding trees, I do clean the roof thoroughly twice a year, but during times of infrequent use, it’s great to be able to go in the van once in a while, put the heating on and wipe the surfaces down etc. Even on a cold, dark, blustery evening, just stepping into it, switching on the control panel above the door and switching on the interior lighting brings a smile to my face.

Having a relatively young family, on the occasional weekend and despite it being on the drive, we’ll even hook the TV up and have a few games of Uno with the kids and find it in some way cathartic just seeing their beaming smiles and being together in the environment in which we’ve shared (and will continue to share) so many great times together. Just having half an hour together in the van on the drive gives us that holiday feeling. A feeling I really do hope you won’t miss out on given your choice to keep your van covered over and potentially inaccessible during the winter months.

Ikaru5, I know the feeling, we hadn't been away for several months, and put the Van on the drive to warm up, ended up all evening in it with neighbours, wine cheese and Scrabble. Daft Sods. But why not.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Icaru5 said:
I’m not particularly against protecting any investment Ste, and we have a 2017 MY of a dealer special based on your van. We are also fortunate enough to be able to keep our van on the drive, and it is surrounded by trees and overhanging branches, and I would never even consider a cover.

Given the surrounding trees, I do clean the roof thoroughly twice a year, but during times of infrequent use, it’s great to be able to go in the van once in a while, put the heating on and wipe the surfaces down etc. Even on a cold, dark, blustery evening, just stepping into it, switching on the control panel above the door and switching on the interior lighting brings a smile to my face.

Ikaru5, I know the feeling, we hadn't been away for several months, and put the Van on the drive to warm up, ended up all evening in it with neighbours, wine cheese and Scrabble. Daft Sods. But why not.

Our neighbours put out the flags and bunting when it moves off the drive.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts