Covid booster jab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
How's everyone doing with getting their Covid Booster Jab? Here in the Highlands - possibily the rest of Scotland as well - the whole system seems to be in a mess with little information about when we'll get it.

Many doctors surgeries seem to be opting out of providing this and what information we have seems to change quickly. First there was a number to call, which naturally was continuously busy and would cut you off after 10mins. Then an email address to request an appointment - which went unanswered. Then the telephone system changed to just voice mail to leave name and post code - which went unanswered after leaving several messages.

There may well be logistical problems but even bad news would be something.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We both had ours two weeks ago. We were given a timed appointment to the minute. When we got there there was a long queue, I asked about this thinking most of the younger people might have been there for just the flu jab. No, we had to wait in the queue. It went surprisingly fast. Yes most were taken off for the flu but we were having both. I had two slightly sore arms, and one off day. Marj suffered more for about 4 days. But not too bad in the scheme of things.

John

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I'm getting pigged off with all the text reminders to book our Covid boosters - when the first one arrived on my phone we booked them straight away for last Monday but we've had several more texts since then.

We had ours done at the church centre which was used for the original vaccine centre, very efficient with volunteers to direct you to parking spaces and at each stage. My shoulder was a bit sore for a couple of days but nothing in the big scale of things.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We had our booster jabs just over a week ago after receiving an NHS text message inviting us to make an appointment.
We were able to choose the appointment day and time, and after completing the formalities we were dealt with straight away.
The vaccination centre is in a large sports hall here.
A walk in no appointment service is available, but there has to be a six months and one week time lapse since the last Covid injection.
There's no excuse for anybody not to be vaccinated against Covid in the Black Country. 💉💉💉

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Was at doctors the other day you will get a phone call or a letter when your Covid booster jab due :)
I think that may be down to how your GP has set things up.
For once I can say that my GP surgery has been brilliant with vaccine arrangements. When it was my time to book I received a text from GP with a link to a booking website. 4 or 5 different local centres to choose from . I'm booked for a week on Saturday at a community centre 15 mins from home. My GP does not do the vaccines at the surgery. It would be bedlam if they did, it's too small for just the regular appointments.
Had my flu jab about a month ago at the Surgery though, similar routine, text, website , book appointment.
They were so well organised, it was like a production line, queue to book in, stand in line and shuffle forward, jab while standing and out on the one way system. In and out in less that 5 mins

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
You have to have a 6 month gap between your 2nd Covid jab and the booster. Then you can access the online booking system if your GP hasn’t contacted you ( England). Hence I have had mine but OH has to wait until after the end of November.
Mel

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Had ours about three weeks ago in one of the bigger local GP units which closed fir a few days at a time to be a dedicated vaccination hub whilst the other local surgeries take over the patients for that time. The invite came directly from the GP, but I also received invites to book at other centres by text and email. So we are very satisfied.

Cannot say the same for my BIL in Coventry. Absolute nightmare. His surgery haven’t had vaccine since end of September. So I tried booking him online. Initially the system would not accept him even though it was 6 months and two weeks after his second jab. Kept saying he couldn’t book until he had received his invite! After two more weeks and the announcement of walk in centres I managed to get the NHS Internet booking to accept him. Selected a Center at Walsgrave Hospital. Up came “ am or pm”. Not bad thought I since he’s not very mobile has Parkinson’s and suffers anxiety. But No, next step was to choose a time slot from the many 10 minute ones offered. So much for Savid’s roll up and walk in. Anyway he had his booster this afternoon so that’s good news.

I think the slow rate of booster take up is due to major hubs not being available, some GPS understandably having difficulty processing normal patient care, flu vaccines and lack of space. My BIL local pharmacies were not giving vaccines as they have not enough space and staff. So overall I think the drive to get numbers vaccinated has lost a bit of momentum.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Just had an update from a friend who's just had their flu jab and asked about the booster schedule.

Apparently the current system, if you could call it that, wasn't working so now it's just wait to be called. Could've done that right at the start.

Apparently there are stories that Army Medical staff will be enlisted to help with the jabs. Just hope it's not a case of fix bayonets😉

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think that may be down to how your GP has set things up.
For once I can say that my GP surgery has been brilliant with vaccine arrangements. When it was my time to book I received a text from GP with a link to a booking website. 4 or 5 different local centres to choose from . I'm booked for a week on Saturday at a community centre 15 mins from home. My GP does not do the vaccines at the surgery. It would be bedlam if they did, it's too small for just the regular appointments.
Had my flu jab about a month ago at the Surgery though, similar routine, text, website , book appointment.
They were so well organised, it was like a production line, queue to book in, stand in line and shuffle forward, jab while standing and out on the one way system. In and out in less that 5 mins
I'm sorry to disagree with you. The situation is different in each of areas where there is devolved government, Each area has a different system to administrate the administer the vaccine roll out.

However I believe it was a common approach across the whole country to minimise foot fall at normal GP surgeries. This was to allow the surgeries to be able to continue providing all their essential services without increasing the risk of cross infection that would arise if all vaccine candidates traipsed through them.

There were also certain logistical issues with storing and distributing the vaccines as some needed to be e kept at very low temperatures which required equipment that most GP surgeries simply did not have. It made sense therefore to create a smaller number of mass vaccination centres, which simply focused on the vaccination programme.

In terms of administration and booking, The process used was not derived by your GP's surgery, but by the system the countries Government devised. If you are having problems, its not your GP's fault.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm sorry to disagree with you. The situation is different in each of areas where there is devolved government, Each area has a different system to administrate the administer the vaccine roll out.

However I believe it was a common approach across the whole country to minimise foot fall at normal GP surgeries. This was to allow the surgeries to be able to continue providing all their essential services without increasing the risk of cross infection that would arise if all vaccine candidates traipsed through them.

There were also certain logistical issues with storing and distributing the vaccines as some needed to be e kept at very low temperatures which required equipment that most GP surgeries simply did not have. It made sense therefore to create a smaller number of mass vaccination centres, which simply focused on the vaccination programme.

In terms of administration and booking, The process used was not derived by your GP's surgery, but by the system the countries Government devised. If you are having problems, its not your GP's fault.
I’m a bit puzzled as a group of our GPs surgeries combined to offer the three vaccinations. The largest surgery with adjacent car parking and an additional car park close by became the hub. There was a large marquee in the grounds to support the 15 minutes wait. Whilst it was acting as a hub the other surgeries were taking appointments from the “ hub’s” own patients. All invitations came from the GP practices own system.
In parallel you could opt to attend this hub for flu jabs or if preferred attend a weekend drive in at a local school which could handle four channels with two people per car. Again organised by the group of local GP practices. Their system was up and running before any of the large mass vaccination centers in Bristol or Bath Race course. We feel that we are very well served by our local GP services.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
If it a 6 month gap for this Covid booster jab mine should be due when away on holiday so probably book appointment when we get back :)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We both got the invite in September and had the booster done on the 6th Oct at a centre which was in another large surgery. No issues although parking was a nightmare. Two weeks later we both had the flu jab at our surgery.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I'm not keen on any form of jab, whether it's a Covid jab, a flu one, or anything else for that matter. For me, it's an encumbrance and I'll only have it done if coerced to do so. For that reason I only had my second Covid jab a couple of weeks ago, so the booster will have to wait some time yet.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
....our local GP group set up a vaccination hub in a closed down Argos in local town.
Booked appointments 10 minutes apart for myself and wife. No queuing.....Covid booster in left arm .....flu in right.....job done :)
One week later received a text to book the booster at an NHS centre!!

Very well looked after here in Sussex.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I’m a bit puzzled as a group of our GPs surgeries combined to offer the three vaccinations. The largest surgery with adjacent car parking and an additional car park close by became the hub. There was a large marquee in the grounds to support the 15 minutes wait. Whilst it was acting as a hub the other surgeries were taking appointments from the “ hub’s” own patients. All invitations came from the GP practices own system.
In parallel you could opt to attend this hub for flu jabs or if preferred attend a weekend drive in at a local school which could handle four channels with two people per car. Again organised by the group of local GP practices. Their system was up and running before any of the large mass vaccination centers in Bristol or Bath Race course. We feel that we are very well served by our local GP services.
It would depend on the local circumstances, but as you have said a group of local surgeries combined to create and man a Covid vaccination center. Cruishally they had to provide an additional facility in a marquee, not in the regular surgery buildings.

It is also correct that the invitations are issued by the GP surgery, but it's based on blocks of appointments allocated to the surgery by the covid facility.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Our GP have had nothing to do with the booster. They did the original two jabs using AZ Oxford. Two weeks ago I received a text message from “NHS vaccine”, . Was offered three places including a local pharmacy . All done last Wednesday, with Pfizer.
Also HMG announced the booster will be given to anyone now over 5 months since last jab.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Our GP have had nothing to do with the booster. They did the original two jabs using AZ Oxford. Two weeks ago I received a text message from “NHS vaccine”, . Was offered three places including a local pharmacy . All done last Wednesday, with Pfizer.
Also HMG announced the booster will be given to anyone now over 5 months since last jab.
That great news about the booster:)

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
We both had ours two weeks ago. We were given a timed appointment to the minute. When we got there there was a long queue, I asked about this thinking most of the younger people might have been there for just the flu jab. No, we had to wait in the queue. It went surprisingly fast. Yes most were taken off for the flu but we were having both. I had two slightly saw arms, and one off day. Marj suffered more for about 4 days. But not too bad in the scheme of things.

John

So that means you are 'armless?' I trust you mean sore? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts