Cracks in GRP front panel on Abbey Caravan

Apr 28, 2005
Visit site
I have a 2004 model Abbey Freestyle with a GRP front panel. Within a few months of purchase, I noticed 2 hairline cracks in the panel, near the hinges for the front locker. I reported this to the suppliers, Colin's Caravans at Aldermaston, who said they would sort it at at the first service. When I delivered the 'van for service, the service manager found another crack, above the front offside window, and said that, as this was on a stress point, the whole front panel would have to be replaced. An interesting point is that I had originally intended to buy a 2003 model, but had rejected all the 'vans in stock, as they had similar cracks. I am now awaiting a call to bring the 'van in when the panel arrives, but am concerned that the problem could happen again with the new panel. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, has the repair been satisfactory? I would also advise owners of similar 'vans to check the GRP panels very carefully, as this would be a high cost repair after the warranty expires. Regards Keith

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Hi Keith,

I have just had a similar problem with my 2yr old Elddis Typhoon.

When it in for its 2nd service the service eng. noticed stress cracking in the rear panel top roof corners, they said it was due to the internal timber frame shrinking and thus causing excessive stress on the panel.

I am waiting confirmation from Elldis to have the panel replaced.

Its quite worrying that the money you pay for these things problems like this would not arise.

If they had not picked it up on this service it would have been on the next service which would be out of warranty - how much then to replace.

In my particular place who looks on the roof for stress cracking.

Other Elldis owners beware.

Regards, John

Apr 18, 2005
Visit site
Hi Keith

see my reply to Darrell under "Buyers Guide Caravans, Abbey Aventura 330". My Abbey Cardinal 315 (based on an Aventura) had excactly the same problem as yours, ie cracking from the front locker corner, finnised up with over 30 cracks along the underside of the front windows up to the roof channel. I have now had a complete new front end fitted just over 6 weeks ago and all looks ok at present but I am keeping a close eye on it. My van was bought new in March 2004.

Apr 28, 2005
Visit site
An update to my previous posting. Took the 'van out for the bank holiday weekend, and several more cracks have appeared. Still waiting for news of the replacement panel. Incidentally, all the cracked panels I have seen and heard about on Abbey 'vans have been on dealer specials. Could there be any significance to this? Regards Keith

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've read the comments with some interest. Until last weekend I had a 1 year old Elddis Typhoon. Very heavy vans! To park it up, I had to turn it through 90 degrees then drag it over compacted gravel to it's hitch post. I noticed hairline cracks around the grab handles about 6 months ago. Called out HAPPE, they said that the cracks were cosmetic and sent a man from the firm that makes the panels. Hey presto the cracks vannish - perfect, no problems, fabulous job. But whats the bottom line? These vans weigh a tonne, well 1.5 tonnes actually. Trying to drag something like that using grab handles is just not realistic. Old hands at caravaning will say you should only push a caravan. I now have an even heavier twin axle - but I have a motor mover and I don't use the grab handles!

May 18, 2005
Visit site
Ouch! I too have a Freestyle from Colins, purchased "new" in 2003. I discovered cracks in the GRP front over the whole width above the front window (I also discovered repaired cracks around the hinge points). Against my better judgement I was persuaded that a new, modified front would solve the problem. This was duly done in October 2004. I have now discovered cracks appearing in exactly the same place. I'm currently awaiting a response from the latest Abbey inspection. I have also spoken to other owners with the same problem. I think Abbey have a serious issue here!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've read the comments with some interest. Until last weekend I had a 1 year old Elddis Typhoon. Very heavy vans! To park it up, I had to turn it through 90 degrees then drag it over compacted gravel to it's hitch post. I noticed hairline cracks around the grab handles about 6 months ago. Called out HAPPE, they said that the cracks were cosmetic and sent a man from the firm that makes the panels. Hey presto the cracks vannish - perfect, no problems, fabulous job. But whats the bottom line? These vans weigh a tonne, well 1.5 tonnes actually. Trying to drag something like that using grab handles is just not realistic. Old hands at caravaning will say you should only push a caravan. I now have an even heavier twin axle - but I have a motor mover and I don't use the grab handles!
Hi Chris,

I note your observations, and to some extent I agree, however why do manufactured fit "Grab Handles" if they only expect you to push? It is my opinion that the handles should be capable of being used to pull or push the van by a person without sustaining damage to the panel. This is a case of a failure, where the designer has not ensured the strength of the structure to withstand the forces. In other words not fit for purpose. For those who have caravans older than 1 year I think you still have a case to claim for a repair from your supplier.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Keith,

I have just had a similar problem with my 2yr old Elddis Typhoon.

When it in for its 2nd service the service eng. noticed stress cracking in the rear panel top roof corners, they said it was due to the internal timber frame shrinking and thus causing excessive stress on the panel.

I am waiting confirmation from Elldis to have the panel replaced.

Its quite worrying that the money you pay for these things problems like this would not arise.

If they had not picked it up on this service it would have been on the next service which would be out of warranty - how much then to replace.

In my particular place who looks on the roof for stress cracking.

Other Elldis owners beware.

Regards, John
Hello John,

Ask yourself, why has the internal frame shrunk? Should it shrink? or more to the point shouldn't the manufacture have ensured that the material they use is fit for purpose. A caravan should last well over two years if used correctly. If any part shrinks in normal usage and causes damage to other parts as a result, in my opinion the materials or the design are defective. If the designer knows the structure will change, they should design to accomodate changes that will not cause damage, so in either case the caravan has a manufactured fault. Regardless of how the dealer feels they are legally responsible under the sale of goods act to sell products of merchantable quality. The dealer cannot avoid responsibility for the caravan by hiding behind a manufactures inspection. Seek advice from Trading Standards or the CAB.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
OMG after reading these posting I am in a bit of a panic we have a new 2005 Abbey aventura 317 being delivered about 20th June is it happening on the new ones does any one know? if so I think i may be having a word with the dealers.

Caroline

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
OMG after reading these posting I am in a bit of a panic we have a new 2005 Abbey aventura 317 being delivered about 20th June is it happening on the new ones does any one know? if so I think i may be having a word with the dealers.

Caroline
Hello Caroline,

I don't think that the cracks people are reporting are dangerous or likely to allow water in at least when they first occur. If your new van does develop cracks, keep a record, take some photos etc.

If you are using a Hire Purchase/credit agreement to purchase the van, write to the finance house and tell them its faulty and ask them to advise on replacement or repairs. Otherwise do the same to your dealer.

Keep names and dates and notes of people you speak to, Insist on written confirmation of all contact or promises.

Do not accept a "gel coat" repair that only covers up a fundamental problem. Do ensure that you get a full additional warranty on the repairs. Do not be afraid to contact Trading Standards or the CAB for clarification.

I do hope your caravan is fine and you have many years happy caravanning. but please bear in mind my suggestions.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is clear to see that this problem is commonplace through out all makes of caravans or most of them any way. I was informed by a service agent that if you carefully scrutinised even new caravans the chanes are that you may find stress cracks in the gel coat.

I understand that the gel coat technology is taken from boat manufacture and in that industry the compound thickness is 5-6mm and on a caravan it is much thinner (1mm). On a boat hull the stresses are slightly different and the gel coat will not crack but with a thin film as on a caravan in some more stressfull areas the gel coat will crack. GRP is also very thin and under normal stress levels this is fine but where stress is increased this too will crack usually at point of fixing. Avondale have now modified fixing points and strengthened the rear panel. No one manufacturer is any worse or better than the other it really depends on the reason and explanation given and how gullable the owner of the van is and what they can get away with. I was told that a good old shin kicking of the manufacturer seldom does little to expedite their decision to repair or what ever and that they will work at their own speed...hey ho !!!

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Somewhere at the back of my mind is the thought that although the caravan may be out of warranty the customer can stil claim for up to 6 years for a design fault. I refer to the Land rover Discovery issue. This ccan probably be checked via Trading Standards.

May 19, 2005
Visit site
reject the van send it back . we had the same problem with an abbey 318. the dealer wanted to repair the van, a new van .we insisted on a new van after a few words and phone call a new one was ordered i suggest you do the same regards kelv

hi the problem with grp is the way it is instaled in most cases most manufactrers use small panel pins around the windows

to hold the panel in plase the pins are then hidden by the window seals the only way to stop the craking is to drill tiny holes to acomerdate the pins prior to instaling them if you look close at some sligtley older vans you will see it is very comon but the drill dose work i have spent many years working with glassfiber on caravans cars & bikes if you drill a hole it wont split if you poke a hole no matter how small you will split it every time the same applies if you want to put a screew in always drill a hole one size down from the size of the screew best of look with the new front

Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

We have had similar problems with an avondale argente (we picked it up a couple of weeks ago - a ex demo 2004 so brand new) and it has a few cracks in the front panel. The dealer picked it up on the PDC and has told us too book it in after the season is over - I'm not sure if the panels are made by the same suppliers as Abbey but its a known fault on the avondale and the dealer says that the repairs don't work - they even got out the panel makers to try the repair - and it looked good but failed before it even left the dealership. So they now replace the whole panel first time and don't bother with repair.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
this one worries me, we bought (incidentally also from Colins Caravans) a 2004 Abbey Expression (Michael Jordon) modified Abbey...I have not noticed anything but will be giving it a good look over when we pick it up from storage in the next few weeks...as we have not used it for the past 2 months.

May 18, 2005
Visit site
I have a 2 year old Aventura 315 and whilst washing it this weekend I noticed the dreaded cracks appearing above the front locker,I also found one at the front end of the nearside sill where I wouldn't have expected stress cracks. I wonder if anyone has contacted the manufacturer direct and got a response?

Regards

Rob

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Robert,

Legally your cracks are the responsibility of your supplier. Under UK law the supplier cannot evade, avoid or divert responsibility for the merchantable quality of goods they sell They must also be fit for purpose, these are the 'stautory rights' that the consumer has and all warranties say 'This does not affect your statutorystatutory rights'.

As a courtesy a manufacture may accept responsibility, but they are not obliged to.

Contact a solicitor or the CAB or Trading Standards fro advice in your specific circumstances. Even at 2 years old there may be some chance of having the repair done - especially if there have been well documented incidents of similar faults occurring - suggesting faulty design, materials or workmanship.

I personally believe it is unreasonable to claim that cracking in moulded panels on two year old caravan is reasonable wear and tear.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As this is such a major issue and each day more of us are reporting cracks, can we get the help of 'Practical Caravan' to maybe try to speak to Abbey to see if they are aware of the problem...may get a better response than individuals going to them, especially of there is a juicy article to print next month on faulty GRP panels on what seems to be a lot of Abbey's....just a thought....come on PC what do you think?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Caroline
Caroline - further to Johns comment, if you are paying cash then pay with a credit card NOT debit card and then pay it off. That way the credit card company is also liable.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When reporting a problem you should do this in writing and give the supplier a reasonable amount of time to carry out the repairs - and a reasonable amount of time is not several months in the future. It is not your concern that 'it takes several months to get from the caravan manufacturer'. If not complete in the time then you demand your money back.

May 18, 2005
Visit site
When reporting a problem you should do this in writing and give the supplier a reasonable amount of time to carry out the repairs - and a reasonable amount of time is not several months in the future. It is not your concern that 'it takes several months to get from the caravan manufacturer'. If not complete in the time then you demand your money back.
As I stated earlier, my Freestyle had a supposedly modified new front panel fitted in October last year. Within 5 months this one cracked again in the same places. Abbey have agreed to supply a second one - I'm now awaiting a date. They seem to work in multiples of months rather than weeks and I wonder if this is policy to minimise cost before the guarantee cut-off. I've considered asking for a replacement but I don't like the latest model.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts