Damp in 3 year caravan

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi all
Any opinions or thoughts on what age a van should reach before you would expect damp to be found.
2 years ago we bought our first van which at the time was just 1 year old and hardly used. It received it's first service when we bought it and has been serviced each year since. Then at this years servive damp was found. The dealer is being very good about fixing it, no complaint there (so far). However we feel a bit disappointed about the damp as we've not used the van loads, about 50 nights 9/10 trips, especially as we bought a newish van to reduce the likelyhood of a damp problem for a few years.

Oh well, these things happen I suppose just hope its ready forcollection next week so we can get away

John

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Our first van (2007) was a brand new Swift. Loved it. No faults or problems like you read about on here, at all. Except....First annual service; damp under side window. Repaired under warranty. Second annual service:damp under rear window. Repaired under warranty. Third year; no damp! Traded it in last year for an Eldis because we wanted a fixed bed and different layout. Not had an annual service yet.
smiley-undecided.gif
mel

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
You lucky that the dealer is not quibbling however when you bought the caravan did you arrange to have the 6 year damp warranty transferred into your name. I believe that this can be done with a number of caravan brands.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello John,

I think it is a great shame that more effort has not been put in by caravan manufactures to resolve the problems of damp. The same basic manufacturing techniques have been used for 30 or more years and damp has always been an issue.

The damage that damp can do not only to the structure of the caravan but also to the residual value of the caravan seems to have been a Cinderella subject for manufactures over that time. With modern materials and fixings, the advantages of CAD CAM in both the design and the manufacturing of components, damp issues should have been consigned to the bin years ago. I cannot understand why they have not paid more attention to it years ago.

It is only in the last couple of years that one major manufacture has made an real design effort to change caravan construction - hopefully for the better. There is still some scepticism about the new system which was fanned by the manufactures requirement that the body fixings will need to be checked at a number of times during the life of the caravan, and at some not inconsiderable cost to the owner - that does not show major confidence in their product!

The new system is still to young to have masses of information in the public forums about the systems reliability - but we can live in hope.

The worst aspect of most current caravans is that it is almost a foregone conclusion that most caravans will start to suffer with damp at some point in their lives, and sadly reports like yours continue to to show that the manufactures are far from preventing the problem even with relatively young caravans.

It seems it is a sad fact of life.

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Doing the day job I see my fair share of damp vans but I have to say there are more dry vans than damp one's, I've been in the trade for over forty years now and to be fair the situation has got better, but getting better is not good enough, there are sealant manufacturers which are used by the leading manufactures that will guarantee their products for 10 years PROVIDING their application procedures are followed, that in my opinion is where the problem arises, having been on a few caravan production lines over the years (as an observer) it seems to me that the piecework method is the crux of the problem, only takes one slip, toilet break, incorrectly cleaned substrate and you have a potential leak, as regards the latest method of construction the same applies, one missed gasket you have a leak.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have to agree with Metz that the piece rate production methods employed by manufacturers is the root cause of damp caravans.

If more time was spent making SURE sealant was applied correctly there would not be a problem, but time costs money I guess.

May 26, 2011
Visit site
We also have just had our 3yr old Elddis Avante Club serviced by an NCC approved service centre & been told it has up 80% Damp in 3 separate places,the dealer we purchased it from is no longer operating in the south of England so we were told by Explorer Group to take it to their closest approved workshop, they to have confirmed the damp,Our concern is that its the o/s floor,n/s roof & n/s midfloor so the whole van would have to come apart-is this van going to any good after this ? After investing best part of £15,000 + in this van we are bit downhearted so say the least.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I concure entirely with Metz and Damian, piecework employment has it's place but only where the design prevents incorrect assembly.

Where skill has to be used in ans assembly operatoin but there is limited time, there is always the risk that the job will not be completed or ity will be poorly completed.

It is very easy to get the wrong impression about the reliability of of product if you rely of forums for your source of data, as forums will be populatd with more complaints than praise - human nature, But especially with damp any caravan that is affected loses more value than those that are dry, so whilst the issue may be low numbers as far as the manufacturere are concerned the impact of the fault is felt very harshly by the owner of the caravan. Manufactures should be even more empathic towards this sort of failure adn do something about stopping it from happening at all.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The use of robotics in the car and other industries over the last 30 years has clearly improved the quality and longevity of the product. Many robotics apply gasket sealants etc.
We keep hearing how the UK caravan manufacturers are investing millions in their factories , yet do any use robotics for guaranteed 100% application of the crucial sealants??

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Whilst it may come as a bit of a shock it is not unusual. I have had damp picked up twice in a Bailey S5 Pageant (2005). This has resulted in the dealer replacing the whole front and rear panels of the van under warranty. There was a weakness during manufacture that led to panel cracking/deformation and the damp was picked up during annual service. The rework has been done very well and the overall view seems to be that since the panels are less stressed now then the repair should be pretty well permanent. It is now 2 years since the rear was done and 3 since the front and no further signs of damp. It would be nice if vans were less susceptible to damp but I guess that is one of the joys of our hobby. I have a 100 percent record of every van we have owned having to have some repairs for damp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts