Dash cam positioning.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
With my love for gadgets just boosted by getting a cheapie Dash Cam, I'm wondering where you folks position them.

My Qashqai has a large blind spot around the rearview mirror area... cameras and sensors etc. and the shaded area.

I tried to find somewhere where it wouldn't block my view and so far, for this mornings trial, it's behind the mirror on the passenger side.

It's out of my sight but there's a downside. It comes with a rear view camera that can act as a reversing aid... something I don't currently have. So where it is now isn't it any use for that.

I'll play around some more later if Mrs V. allows and try a few other places.

So where's yours?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Mine is just left of the rear view mirror, I have it set to show speed, not the camera view, and I can see it "Just".
A Nextbase 320 GW.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
With my love for gadgets just boosted by getting a cheapie Dash Cam, I'm wondering where you folks position them.

My Qashqai has a large blind spot around the rearview mirror area... cameras and sensors etc. and the shaded area.

I tried to find somewhere where it wouldn't block my view and so far, for this mornings trial, it's behind the mirror on the passenger side.

It's out of my sight but there's a downside. It comes with a rear view camera that can act as a reversing aid... something I don't currently have. So where it is now isn't it any use for that.

I'll play around some more later if Mrs V. allows and try a few other places.

So where's yours?
Mine sits to the left of the drivers mirror on plain glass not the shaded/dimpled glass. I can see it if I wish but during driving I am not even aware of it being installled. It doesn’t affect any area of driving visibility through the screen. It’s pretty small thing, Nextbase 520 GW. I don’t have the rear view feature. If required the cars rear camera can be set to continuous but there’s no capture facility.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
My Nextbase 520GW is also to the left of the mirror and does not interfere with my view. I have the rear view camera so could use it for reversing. I don’t though for these reasons. The rear view picture is tiny. Switching pictures is a chore and I would need to get the manual out. Not ideal while reversing. But mainly because the car is already fitted with a rear view and 360 degree camera. 😊

John

Oct 31, 2022
Visit site
Mine is on the left behind the mirror. I cannot see it at all, but don't have any issue with that as there is no need for me to see it as I can rely on the various beeps.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Mine is behind the mirror. I have been told that it is a MOT fail if the examiner sitting in the driver's seat can view the screen on the dashcam. It may also be an offence if the driver can view the screen while driving as they might as well be watching a DVD. Maybe someone with better legal knowledge on this can advise better than myself?

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
My Garmin Dash Cam mini 2 sits just to the right of the rear view mirror.

But it doesn't have a screen - everything is done via. a mobile phone - so no issue with distractions whilst driving.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There are a number of guides to positioning dashcams that take into account the safety aspects of its positioning. Mine I can see from the drivers seat but it’s high up and in my peripheral vision unless I want to see it. But there are no reasons to look at it when driving. The car has now had two MoTs and passed okay.

IMG_3469.jpeg

Reactions: DaveA1
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Mine is the same as others it's to the left of the rear view mirror.
A Next base 320 the screen is small, but I can see it.
Have had a couple of dash cams with bigger screens in the same place, nether been a problem as far as MOT's go.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
There are a number of guides to positioning dashcams that take into account the safety aspects of its positioning. Mine I can see from the drivers seat but it’s high up and in my peripheral vision unless I want to see it. But there are no reasons to look at it when driving. The car has now had two MoTs and passed okay.

View attachment 6791
Exactly the same position as mine. Had this motor 7 years, and motors before that all with dash cams in the same position. Never had problem as far as MOT,s go.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

Passenger side of rear view mirror seems the best place and if the reversing function isn't worth it, then that's where it will stay out of sight.

The rear camera view is recorded and that may be worth using but on a hatch back it's not easy to find somewhere to mount it so haven't tried it yet.

Did a run a short a while ago and it worked ok. The G Force Sensor was on its lowest setting but some videos were still locked just by going over our rough roads. Even the manual recommends turning it off, so that's what I'll do. It could be of use if recording was 24/7 and you got bumped when parked but you need a hard wiring kit which costs extra. I thought £20 was enough for the camera anyway😉

Playback on screen looks ok but later I'll load the videos onto the PC and take a better look.

Ssontong A16 if you're interested.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

Passenger side of rear view mirror seems the best place and if the reversing function isn't worth it, then that's where it will stay out of sight.

The rear camera view is recorded and that may be worth using but on a hatch back it's not easy to find somewhere to mount it so haven't tried it yet.

Did a run a short a while ago and it worked ok. The G Force Sensor was on its lowest setting but some videos were still locked just by going over our rough roads. Even the manual recommends turning it off, so that's what I'll do. It could be of use if recording was 24/7 and you got bumped when parked but you need a hard wiring kit which costs extra. I thought £20 was enough for the camera anyway😉

Playback on screen looks ok but later I'll load the videos onto the PC and take a better look.

I found Nextbase instructions for mounting led to it falling off within short while. So I. averted to tried and trusted methods using a 3M pad. I cleaned the screen using isopropyl and let it dry. Then applied the camera mount with the pad in place to the screen. Kept hand pressure on it for quite a while. Then left it for 24 hours for the bond strength to develop. Then fitted camera to mount. No further self removals to dangle like a fluffy dice!

Just a though I am tall and I can see the dash cam if I turn my head. My wife is 5ft 3 in and when the seat is forwards and raised she cannot see the dash cam. So anyone who might have concerns over an MoT failure should present the car to a test center who employ Hobbits.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DaveA1
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I found Nextbase instructions for mounting led to it falling off within short while. So I. averted to tried and trusted methods using a 3M pad. I cleaned the screen using isopropyl and let it dry. Then applied the camera mount with the pad in place to the screen. Kept hand pressure on it for quite a while. Then left it for 24 hours for the bond strength to develop. Then fitted camera to mount. No further self removals to dangle like a fluffy dice!

Just a though I am tall and can the dash cam if I turn my head. My wife is 5ft 3 in and when the seat is forwards and raised she cannot see the dash cam. So anyone who might have concerns over an MoT failure should present the car to a test center who employ Hobbits.
Our Nextbase 622 came with the 3M stickers and within weeks was falling off. Replaced with another 3M sticker and the same again even in the cooler months and the windscreen was sparking clean. Eventually I was able to obtain the suction mount and it has stayed on ever since. (y) :D

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I was brave, my rear dash cam is fixed to the top of the screen. I removed the door lining so the wire could be fished through then threaded through the concertina tube and fed behind the head lining to come out next to the rear view mirror. There are You Tube examples.

Meet, but time consuming to do.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our Nextbase 622 came with the 3M stickers and within weeks was falling off. Replaced with another 3M sticker and the same again even in the cooler months and the windscreen was sparking clean. Eventually I was able to obtain the suction mount and it has stayed on ever since. (y) :D
Did you just bond the mount to the screen without the camera installed, and how long did you let bond strength develop for before mounting the camera on to the mount? When I bought mine the suction mounts were out of stock, but I would have preferred to use one.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Did you just bond the mount to the screen without the camera installed, and how long did you let bond strength develop for before mounting the camera on to the mount? When I bought mine the suction mounts were out of stock, but I would have preferred to use one.
It was allow to bond for over 24 hours as I forgot about it. It was fitted by a representative of Nextbase and they advised not to connect up the camera until the next day. The second time as we were away on holiday, it was basically over night so about 12-14 hours. Our SIL had the same issue with their Nextbase 622 and the sticker.

Reactions: otherclive

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I just use the sucker cups. My phone holder has been on for years.

I looked at the video output just a while ago. What you'd expect from a £20 camera. Useable but no Oscars. Contrasty, over sharp and a little under exposed. All of which could be corrected.

Oh yes - makes me look somewhat overweight but then cameras do that. Mrs V wondered how many cameras there were on me.

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch and Buckman

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Return to Sender.....

After some more test runs last night I decided that even for £20 the video output was not acceptable, so its on its way back.

I don't think I'll bother trying another one.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Our Nextbase is mounted using the sucker. It did fall off once but seems OK now. It is mounted on the windscreen just clear oof the sat nav screen where it does not block my view. Never had a problem with MOT though I now some examiners have been known to fail cars because of them. Possibly best to remove them when you go for one.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our Nextbase is mounted using the sucker. It did fall off once but seems OK now. It is mounted on the windscreen just clear oof the sat nav screen where it does not block my view. Never had a problem with MOT though I now some examiners have been known to fail cars because of them. Possibly best to remove them when you go for one.
If you have a bonded mount then removing it isn't practicable.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Return to Sender.....

After some more test runs last night I decided that even for £20 the video output was not acceptable, so its on its way back.

I don't think I'll bother trying another one.
We had the dashcam installed with front and rear cameras after having an extremely near miss while towing the caravan. It may be worth spending a bit extra and getting a decent basic dashcam.

Reactions: JRT

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
We had the dashcam installed with front and rear cameras after having an extremely near miss while towing the caravan. It may be worth spending a bit extra and getting a decent basic dashcam.
I had an accident a few years back, a chap ran a red light, wiped my motor out, all on dash cam, wouldn't be without one now.
Did the Dashcam footage actually help the police or insurance company?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts