DashCams

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I've got the Nextbase 522, plus the rear attachment which plugs in the side - I can't fix a camera on the rear window as I have a fabric shade permanently fitted - the issue with the plug-in rear attachment as that it shows mostly the rear headrests and rear passengers!

Reactions: Jcloughie
May 7, 2012
Visit site
The advantage if the video on the crash was quite simply the other driver could not argue he went through the lights at green, which could easily happen otherwise.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Can these Nextbase dash cams be bought with a rear view for the caravan??
Although not designed to work with a trailer, I suppose it can be rigged up to be used as a rear view for the caravan, but you would need an awfully long lead with C connectors or whatever connector they use.

Reactions: DaveA1
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Can these Nextbase dash cams be bought with a rear view for the caravan??
My rear view came with a 10 metre cable which could easily be extended. The picture is excellent as is the angle of view. But there are two problems.

The camera is not designed for outside use.

The screen I think can be switched to show full rear view. But it is a very small screen, so perhaps not suitable.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
On our way to the vet this afternoon driving down a rural road in OH's car, we were just leaving the village which has a 30mph zone. An approaching vehicle was definitely going over the speed limit and more than halfway across the road.

I had no choice except to take evasive action which meant driving into the hedge to avoid a head on collision. Hedge battered the nearside door and mirror as it scraped along the nearside. Frightened the hell out of OH as she thought we were going to crash. The other car carried on as if nothing had happened.

Not even 1/2 mile later a similar thing happened with a Mini who cut the corner on a bend and again was totally on the wrong side of the road. We suspected that they may have been following the first car. This is normally a quiet rural road with very little traffic. The road is wide enough for two vehicles in opposite directions to pass safely.

If we had been driving the Jeep the approaching first car more than likely would have hit us even if the Jeep was stationary and as far left as possible. I need to check the dashcam footage.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I also had a minor incident today, nothing much, but could easily have been very bad for the cyclist concerned.

I was turning right, clear to my right, from my left, just a cyclist in Lycra. It seemed clear he would be going straight on.

He was on his left of the road.
He made no attempt to look over his shoulder to see if a car was overtaking him.
He made no signal.

I could have gone quickly, but that would have been tight to get ahead of the cyclist, so I went slowly so I could get behind him ready to overtake on the straight.

At the last second he turned right across my path. I avoided him easily. I don’t even think he realised how close we were. If I had chosen to *** out, he could easily be under the car.

I went to check my Dashcam. But I did not put the SD card back in after looking at it yesterday. 😡

Had there been an incident, a Dashcam would have been invaluable.

There is a lesson there.

John

PS, re the asterists. I really did not use a rude word but the forum clearly thinks I did. It just seemed to be the most appropriate word.

I wonder if it is considered to be rude in American English.

John

Last edited:
Reactions: Hutch

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I also had a minor incident today, nothing much, but could easily have been very bad for the cyclist concerned.

I was turning right, clear to my right, from my left, just a cyclist in Lycra. It seemed clear he would be going straight on.

He was on his left of the road.
He made no attempt to look over his shoulder to see if a car was overtaking him.
He made no signal.

I could have gone quickly, but that would have been tight to get ahead of the cyclist, so I went slowly so I could get behind him ready to overtake on the straight.

At the last second he turned right across my path. I avoided him easily. I don’t even think he realised how close we were. If I had chosen to *** out, he could easily be under the car.

I went to check my Dashcam. But I did not put the SD card back in after looking at it yesterday. 😡

Had there been an incident, a Dashcam would have been invaluable.

There is a lesson there.

John

PS, re the asterists. I really did not use a rude word but the forum clearly thinks I did. It just seemed to be the most appropriate word.

I wonder if it is considered to be rude in American English.

John
Did you write n.i.p. out?
It's an algorithm that's caught me out.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I am all for DashCams and have a Nextbase 522. I recently added the rear view module, it all works nicely with little intervention.

I have never needed to make use of the videos but it is nice to have them if needed.

About 10 days ago this happened. Not over-dangerous but stupidity in action.

It took me ages to blur out the number plates, really hard to do.

Let me know if the videos don't work, please.

John

PS

This is a Dropbox link, fingers crossed.

it works great but i have never use Dropbox before now

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have the dashcam but have never had to produce the video. I did have one accident where the other driver was clearly at fault but he admitted it to his insurer so there was no problem. If he had tried to deny liability though it could be produced to defeat his allegations.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have the dashcam but have never had to produce the video. I did have one accident where the other driver was clearly at fault but he admitted it to his insurer so there was no problem. If he had tried to deny liability though it could be produced to defeat his allegations.
I sent dashcam video of very clearly dangerous driving to the police and never heard anything more. Obviously they have better things to do they take a dangerous driver off the road.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't think they are local, but travel nationwide to do fitting at your home. Very nice gentleman took about 2 hours to do ours although we had the front connection fitted for the previous camera. Running cable for rear camera a bit of a hassle on Jeep otherwise I would have done it myself. Very neat job and |I think worth every penny. See here. (y):D
Just looked at the forward facing Nextbase 522GW. Including fitting Next base is £269, Kia £250, and Halfords £199. All offer the front rear bundles too. Need to discuss with Mrs OC as her car goes in for service tomorrow.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just looked at the forward facing Nextbase 522GW. Including fitting Next base is £269, Kia £250, and Halfords £199. All offer the front rear bundles too. Need to discuss with Mrs OC as her car goes in for service tomorrow.
As said we now have the 622 bundle with rear view camera. Rear view are almost as essential as the front facing camera. Sometimes you can get a code for a small discount as do some Googling. LOL! :D

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As said we now have the 622 bundle with rear view camera. Rear view are almost as essential as the front facing camera. Sometimes you can get a code for a small discount as do some Googling. LOL! :D
Up to quite recently the 522 GW was probably the top rated dash cam, and took the 2022 Which award. So I think I will stick to my old adage “ the better is the enemy of the good enough” and preserve my bank balance. If someone smacks the rear I’m sure a front mounted one would tell if I was stopped or reversing. 👍

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Referring back to my original post. The front-facing camera shows the BMW cutting in front of me. It could be argued that they were already on the roundabout, and I pulled out into their path. But the rearview cam shows different and that they were on my offside even when joining the roundabout,

I have had a dash cam for many years, but only recently added the rearview camera. At least Nextbase do models which allow for this making them future proof.

Wiring in the front camera is easy if the cigar lighter is used. To hard wire into the car is mostly fairly easy by following the many YouTube videos. The rear can be a bit tricky to thread through the concertina rubber tubes, Not everyone does that bit.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Referring back to my original post. The front-facing camera shows the BMW cutting in front of me. It could be argued that they were already on the roundabout, and I pulled out into their path. But the rearview cam shows different and that they were on my offside even when joining the roundabout,

I have had a dash cam for many years, but only recently added the rearview camera. At least Nextbase do models which allow for this making them future proof.

Wiring in the front camera is easy if the cigar lighter is used. To hard wire into the car is mostly fairly easy by following the many YouTube videos. The rear can be a bit tricky to thread through the concertina rubber tubes, Not everyone does that bit.

John
Our vehicle was very tricky for the tech to wire in the rear camera. The 1996 Corolla needs the wiring for the front camera, but it is not easy as the moulding runs from top of dashboard right to rear of car. I have it plugged into cigarette lighter at present.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just bought the Nextbase 522GW for £224 including hard wire kit and fitting, less !0% discount via their bank holiday promotion, so £201 not a bad price. . Booked in for Friday for the little Rio runabout, which gets used the most in terms of journeys.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dashcam goes in later today. I was reading the Nextbase Owners Manual and it advises removing the Dashcam from the car, or putting in glove box in hot conditions. yet it has a Parking mode for when the car is unattended.

What do Forum owners of dash cams do? seems a bit of a pain to keep installing and removing in summer.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I don’t bother with that but there is a problem with heat affecting the sucker. Occasionally, it comes unstuck, and the camera drops down. It is often saved by the lead. But to be on the safe side, it’s not a bad idea, to attach a lanyard secured to the mirror, just in case.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I don’t bother with that but there is a problem with heat affecting the sucker. Occasionally, it comes unstuck, and the camera drops down. It is often saved by the lead. But to be on the safe side, it’s not a bad idea, to attach a lanyard secured to the mirror, just in case.

John
Thanks for the “safety” tip wrt lanyard but what don’t you bother with? Removing dash cam in hot weather when parked or parking mode?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Dashcam goes in later today. I was reading the Nextbase Owners Manual and it advises removing the Dashcam from the car, or putting in glove box in hot conditions. yet it has a Parking mode for when the car is unattended.

What do Forum owners of dash cams do? seems a bit of a pain to keep installing and removing in summer.
We never remove ours. As per John, very occasionally sometimes on a hot day the sucker will come loose and camera will drop down and trigger the car alarm.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts