Dealer Specials

Dec 7, 2006
Visit site
At the NEC we ordered a dealer special version of the Abbey 495 which virtually takes it to GTS 418/Challenger 540 spec at a couple of thousand less. Is there a catch or are dealer specials just good value?

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Dealer specials are good value - I do not know why.

When we bought our Mendip Magnum (which is an up-specced Compass Corona) we could not even get a matching price deal on the Corona at the NEC show last winter.

It was no contest and we now have the Magnum.

Dec 7, 2006
Visit site
Dealer specials are good value - I do not know why.

When we bought our Mendip Magnum (which is an up-specced Compass Corona) we could not even get a matching price deal on the Corona at the NEC show last winter.

It was no contest and we now have the Magnum.
Thanks,

It seems only Baily owners use the forum. Strange.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Glossop caravans sell a good range of dealer specials from coachman plus a few from ace and avondale. We personally have had a coachman pastiche golden 520/4 and a golden laser 590/4 both of which where superb vans and far better spec than standard, we then had a golden vip which again was very well specified. we then had a Ace celebration 590 2005 but we will not talk about that heap of junk too much so we swapped it for another coachman vip 530/4 but this time we just bought the standard van as the golden version this year has an awfull interior colour. overall dealer specials are very good value for money and well worth a look.

G

I think it may be helpful if we defined what is a 'Dealer Special'. To my mind there are 3 options, and there may even be more.

If you buy a certain model of van and as part of the deal it is 'swopped' for a superior van in the same maker's stable then you have indeed a good deal.

Also if you buy a certain van and the dealer includes a number of manufacturer's options free of charge then again you have a good 'Dealer Special'

Alternatively one has the situation where a dealer takes a a batch of standard models and issues them as 'Dealer Specials' by adding some options and changing the fabrics and logos. There may be a price premium to pay for these.

The first ones are in my mind excellent deals for the purchaser. I am not so sure about the last one as it seems that the van's resale value is either the same as, or even slightly less than the equivalent standard model. This is due to 'purchaser suspicion' regarding dealer modified vans.

So, yes I think 'dealer specials' can be good value, but as with anything in life, make sure it is really a good deal and not something masked as such. Of course if you want a bargain, then buy a van at the end of a season as that can save you a lot of money against the next year's model.

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
I think it may be helpful if we defined what is a 'Dealer Special'. To my mind there are 3 options, and there may even be more.

If you buy a certain model of van and as part of the deal it is 'swopped' for a superior van in the same maker's stable then you have indeed a good deal.

Also if you buy a certain van and the dealer includes a number of manufacturer's options free of charge then again you have a good 'Dealer Special'

Alternatively one has the situation where a dealer takes a a batch of standard models and issues them as 'Dealer Specials' by adding some options and changing the fabrics and logos. There may be a price premium to pay for these.

The first ones are in my mind excellent deals for the purchaser. I am not so sure about the last one as it seems that the van's resale value is either the same as, or even slightly less than the equivalent standard model. This is due to 'purchaser suspicion' regarding dealer modified vans.

So, yes I think 'dealer specials' can be good value, but as with anything in life, make sure it is really a good deal and not something masked as such. Of course if you want a bargain, then buy a van at the end of a season as that can save you a lot of money against the next year's model.
At the NEC in 2003 we bought a dealer special,it was a FREELANDER LEXON EW and I must say it was really special it had all the extras.Unfortunatley very few of them worked all the external doors and acess points leaked when it rained,it was a friday afternoon build alright, as we had bought it at the nec from a company near weston super mare and we live in newmarket,you can imagine the problems. Luckily a bailey dealership who I had bought from before for a small fee put most of it back together for me and I sold it privatley after 6 weeks of ownership.we then bought German and never looked back.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have had 2 dealer specials in the past, both from Michael Jordan in Surrey, one was an Impresssion, the other was an Expression, they now only do the Expression range. Both were based on Abbey models with added features, but in each case were cheaper to buy than the standard Abbey model on which they were based, unlike some dealer specials that charge more than the base model. Both the caravans we had were well built and finished, and we had no problems when we came to part exchange them even though both went to dealers other than Michael Jordan, in fact in both cases the dealers seemed more than happy to acccept them. In both cases the dealers had sold the vans within 2 weeks.So my advice to anyone considering a dealer special is to look at the van like any other, do you like it, do you like the upholstery, is it a fair price, are you happy with the cost to change,is the layout what you want, if you answer yes, then buy the van, if not keep looking until you find a van you do like.

Dec 7, 2006
Visit site
We have had 2 dealer specials in the past, both from Michael Jordan in Surrey, one was an Impresssion, the other was an Expression, they now only do the Expression range. Both were based on Abbey models with added features, but in each case were cheaper to buy than the standard Abbey model on which they were based, unlike some dealer specials that charge more than the base model. Both the caravans we had were well built and finished, and we had no problems when we came to part exchange them even though both went to dealers other than Michael Jordan, in fact in both cases the dealers seemed more than happy to acccept them. In both cases the dealers had sold the vans within 2 weeks.So my advice to anyone considering a dealer special is to look at the van like any other, do you like it, do you like the upholstery, is it a fair price, are you happy with the cost to change,is the layout what you want, if you answer yes, then buy the van, if not keep looking until you find a van you do like.
Thanks to all the above . You,ve helped put my mind at ease.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts