Deboning meat

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have some very good, but not excellent knives however need something decent for deboning i.e. chicken or a joint. Any suggestions for an amateur chef. With OH spending a lot of time in hospital and when out of hospital OH is not too mobile, I have got back into doing the cooking and doing a bit of experimentation. So far we are still alive! LOL! :LOL:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have some very good, but not excellent knives however need something decent for deboning i.e. chicken or a joint. Any suggestions for an amateur chef. With OH spending a lot of time in hospital and when out of hospital OH is not too mobile, I have got back into doing the cooking and doing a bit of experimentation. So far we are still alive! LOL! :LOL:

Pro cook do a wide range even as far as very expensive Japanese steel.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My set of six Sabatiers have lasted very well for 30 years. Keep their edge getting sharpened every week or so. Ask your local butcher who supplies his knives . His tool of trade.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My set of six Sabatiers have lasted very well for 30 years. Keep their edge getting sharpened every week or so. Ask your local butcher who supplies his knives . His tool of trade.

What do you use to sharpen your blades. I have something that I regularly use to sharpen them, but can never get the knives razor shar plus they seem to blunt quickly.

Pro cook do a wide range even as far as very expensive Japanese steel.

We have one of their pots for making gravy or custards and it is better than those non stick pots although the pot is not cheap.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What do you use to sharpen your blades. I have something that I regularly use to sharpen them, but can never get the knives razor shar plus they seem to blunt quickly.

We have one of their pots for making gravy or custards and it is better than those non stick pots although the pot is not cheap.

I use a steel to sharpen the knives. Much depends on the type and quality of the knife steel blade. Hugh F-W reckons he only has two knives that he uses the majority of the time. A 6 inch prep/ filleting knife and a 9 inch cleaver type. Think they were Laigioule. We have some of their table and steak knives bought in France. Top notch.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
A sharpening steel (if that is what you choose to use) likewise needs to be of the very best quality. A cheap steel will certainly not sharpen a good quality blade.

These are pretty decent knives.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
As a butchers son I can do it and use a Sabatier boning knife. It does need to be very sharp and you need to know how to do it. If you have any doubts let the butcher do it, it is safer. Where it is done commercially they should use chain mail metal gloves which indicates the point.
My father used a steel before every use and a carborundum block weekly to get the sharpness to the maximum.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
When gutting fish or buck we used a 6* hunter's knife. Was also used to skinning the animal. However hunter's knives are not allowed in the UK hence the quest to find something suitable for deboning. Very sad to leave my rather expensive knife behind in SA as it was ideal for many uses.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When gutting fish or buck we used a 6* hunter's knife. Was also used to skinning the animal. However hunter's knives are not allowed in the UK hence the quest to find something suitable for deboning. Very sad to leave my rather expensive knife behind in SA as it was ideal for many uses.

You can possess a hunters knife in U.K. but there are restrictions on where you can take it. Using it in the home is not illegal. Why should it be given most kitchens have large knives.

I have a Helle Fjellkniven No 4 and Opinel folding knife but both are illegal in a public place without good reason. Even the car is deemed a public place so i only take them out when camping as their usage in camp could be supported. If I didn’t take them then it would be two or three kitchen knives in the crate.
227ABB4D-CD6A-414D-B32A-CDF9AD4E893A.jpeg

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Seems I may have misunderstood the regulations, but surely bringing the knife into country even in a locked suitcase it is in a public area. My son in SA has it at present. Cost me an arm and a leg when I bought it as it was a highly rated knife at the time.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Seems I may have misunderstood the regulations, but surely bringing the knife into country even in a locked suitcase it is in a public area. My son in SA has it at present. Cost me an arm and a leg when I bought it as it was a highly rated knife at the time.
That’s the dilemma re what is a public place. My son bought me the Helle knife from Norway in a suitcase within the baggage hold. So no threat to the flight. The Opinal I bought at the Game Fair. It’s one of the few laws where the citizen if stopped has to show just cause. So a carpet fitter, electrician, etc have no problem if at work or travelling between jobs. I’ve got a Japanese gardening Hori Hori with an eight inch blade but the only time it leaves the house is if it is with other gardening tools for use at my daughters. Absolutely brilliant piece of kit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts