Delamination repairs?

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
2022 Swift Sprite Major EB. Just noticed some delamination of the inner skin in the bedroom. It’s a shallow blister 10” up from floor level, about 9” long x 2” wide, it “gives” when pressed so clearly delaminating from the sandwiched inner core. The Swift group use GRP inner and outer skins, outer skin looks fine.

It’s going in for it’s first service at the end of next month so obviously I’ll discuss with the dealer, but does anyone have any experience of delamination repairs other than floors?

IMG_6707.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
2022 Swift Sprite Major EB. Just noticed some delamination of the inner skin in the bedroom. It’s a shallow blister 10” up from floor level, about 9” long x 2” wide, it “gives” when pressed so clearly delaminating from the sandwiched inner core. The Swift group use GRP inner and outer skins, outer skin looks fine.

It’s going in for it’s first service at the end of next month so obviously I’ll discuss with the dealer, but does anyone have any experience of delamination repairs other than floors?
I would contact the dealer now and inform them of the issue otherwise you may get the excuse that it is our of warranty as a year has passed.

Reactions: GaryB
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I would contact the dealer now and inform them of the issue otherwise you may get the excuse that it is our of warranty as a year has passed.

Fortunately the manufacturers warranty is 3 years for structural defects but I emailed them photos earlier. Just curious if anyone else has experience of this as I can’t see how it can be fixed without injecting adhesive (which would leave a hole).

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I don’t know about the delamination but I suspect it can be fixed with adhesive. Re-decoration is a realistic concern.

My dealer made a mess of the wall behind the toilet when the van was about 3 years old. After I complained, they had it in a re-surfaced the wall. It looked as good as new.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We had our Lunar done for delamintation. They drill underneath a few small holes depending on the size of the delamination and then pump in some gunk and then cover the drilled hole.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Seems to be a manufacturing defect where the glues weren’t spread properly before compression of the boards. Shame. I doubt it’s life threatening but does question the integrity of the whole panel. Yes it can be fixed virtually invisibly if they are careful. However the long term is something I’d want a written assurance from The Dealer and secondly Swift that any further issues will be addressed even if the entire panel has to be replaced, ie the whole side!
Remember your Contract is with the Dealer.I mention Swift too because of their body integrity warranty , which I haven’t seen. Please let us know how you get on.Your experiences also help others👍

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I would get your dealer to sort that out when it has it first service as well

They’ve just rung me and both issues are noted for inspection at service. The microwave issue happened on our previous Swift and I sorted it myself by using new screws and Sikaflex adhesive, it worked well but as I get older I begrudge fixing things that shouldn’t fail in the first place!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
They’ve just rung me and both issues are noted for inspection at service. The microwave issue happened on our previous Swift and I sorted it myself by using new screws and Sikaflex adhesive, it worked well but as I get older I begrudge fixing things that shouldn’t fail in the first place!
Don't take this personally as too many other caravanners do the same - but having a caravan that falls apart needing the owner to fix it themselves is the problem when they then go and buy another caravan from the same maker - there's just no incentive for the caravan maker to up their game.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Manufacturers look on that as an optional extra that they supply free of charge so one should not be complaining! :sneaky:

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Don't take this personally as too many other caravanners do the same - but having a caravan that falls apart needing the owner to fix it themselves is the problem when they then go and buy another caravan from the same maker - there's just no incentive for the caravan maker to up their game.

You’re 100% correct, but like a lot of folks, I always took the easy route and did it myself rather than dragging it back to the dealer. Not now though. The dealers only 20 minutes away so will be doing any spannering for me.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When I get a problem with my caravan, (It is well out of warranty now), I tend to repair it myself rather than call in a service person , as 9 times out of 10 I will do a better job and will sometimes modify things to ensure the problem doesn't happen again.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When I get a problem with my caravan, (It is well out of warranty now), I tend to repair it myself rather than call in a service person , as 9 times out of 10 I will do a better job and will sometimes modify things to ensure the problem doesn't happen again.
But would you tackle this delamination on a caravan less than one year old? I wouldn’t. When the warranty expires then it’s a different ball game.

Last edited:
Reactions: toad a caravan
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
But would you tackle this delamination on a caravan less than one year old? I wouldn’t. When the warranty expires then it’s a different ball game.
Not if is still in warranty, but things like panels etc yes. The AWS lad I use for my servicing, mentioned two years ago that the floor was creaking and was probably delaminating. It turned out to be the panels from the floor to the side units all needing the screws tightening up. So one size up on the screw and a drop of wood glue in each hole. All creaks gone.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not if is still in warranty, but things like panels etc yes. The AWS lad I use for my servicing, mentioned two years ago that the floor was creaking and was probably delaminating. It turned out to be the panels from the floor to the side units all needing the screws tightening up. So one size up on the screw and a drop of wood glue in each hole. All creaks gone.
My Bailey S5 had the same problem with its floor beginning to flex. Same solution.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Just to give an update on this, despite struggling to take clear photos of the delamination problem, Swift have accepted it is faulty and will be taking the caravan back to the factory to sort it. They'll need it for 10 to 12 weeks so hoping they take it back soon so we don't miss any holidays next year.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Just to give an update on this, despite struggling to take clear photos of the delamination problem, Swift have accepted it is faulty and will be taking the caravan back to the factory to sort it. They'll need it for 10 to 12 weeks so hoping they take it back soon so we don't miss any holidays next year.
Gary , this is very good news.
However being a sceptic I’d like to see Swift’s schedule of required works prior to commencement and then the schedule of exactly what they did do.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Gary , this is very good news.
However being a sceptic I’d like to see Swift’s schedule of required works prior to commencement and then the schedule of exactly what they did do.
I know what you mean, being an engineer I naturally want to know what the problem was and how it’ll be rectified! The dealer has said they’ll ask Swift for an appraisal when they’ve got it back. I’ll be adding a discrete mark to that side of the caravan so I’ll be able to tell if it’s had a new side or been repaired in-situ.

Either way we’ve had to suspend looking at changing it anytime soon.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I know what you mean, being an engineer I naturally want to know what the problem was and how it’ll be rectified! The dealer has said they’ll ask Swift for an appraisal when they’ve got it back. I’ll be adding a discrete mark to that side of the caravan so I’ll be able to tell if it’s had a new side or been repaired in-situ.

Either way we’ve had to suspend looking at changing it anytime soon.
When I had a rear panel replaced by Coachman for cracks from the awning rail. They resealed all the roof and windows, But they would not commit to why the cracks had happened from the awning rails, but hinted that it was due to not having pilot holes drilled for the awning rails. 20160812_134248.jpg

Reactions: Dustydog
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Just an addition to this as I will be dropping the caravan off at the dealers on Friday for it to be collected by Swift the following Monday. I have had to completely gut the caravan, not only removing personal items as you'd expect but also all cushions, bed mattress, curtains and carpets. Don't underestimate just how much space in the house this lot takes up!!!! Our house looks like a showroom for Dunelm...........

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Haha, we had to do the same. We were allowed to leave the fixed bed mattress in though.
A lot of stuff we didn't put back in. Steam iron, mini ironing board, washing drier, saved about 40 kg in the end.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I suppose 8 weeks to get this far is not too bad by industry poor standards. Let’s hope Swift / Dealer give you a detailed schedule of works required and actually carried out!

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Haha, we had to do the same. We were allowed to leave the fixed bed mattress in though.
A lot of stuff we didn't put back in. Steam iron, mini ironing board, washing drier, saved about 40 kg in the end.

We've only had this one for just over a year but it seems to have been a magnet for junk! It'll be going on a diet when we get it back.........

TRENDING THREADS