Direct water hose to caravan

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, I’ve read numerous threads on here regarding using either the hose that goes from the tap on a fully serviced pitch to the caravan or using the float in the aqua roll, although I’ve read plenty of topics I’ve never been able to be decided as to which is the safest.
1st. Float in aqua roll system, if a pipe in the caravan leaks then due to the pressure drop the aqua roll will refill endlessly and the water will leak in the caravan with the van getting flooded.

2nd using the other system which I believe has a pressure lowering system so that the water pressure in the van is lowered, so again if I’m right, if a pipe in the caravan was to leak then due to the pressure was to drop, the pump would again keep pumping so as to try to bring up the pressure, same result as I see it both systems would flood the caravan endlessly.
Is there any benefit in one system above the other, any input as to which is most reliable and why.

BP

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
1. Possibly - which is why you switch the pump off when not in use?
2. As above.
Note that you should use food grade blue water pipe from tap to Aquaroll. You will get 7m of it if you buy the Aquaroll tap kit.
Suggestion: get a BRASS double push-fit (i,e, Hozelock-type) adapter to go on the tap. Then if you want to get fresh water rather than using it out of the caravan water system it means not having to disconnect the barrel.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have not used the pressure reducer system but as I see it, no pump is needed. So how it would work with an internal pump I don't know.

In both systems, if there is an internal leak, you will get flooded!!!!

To be safe, the pump, or outside tap, could be turned off when not in use. Too much bother for me though.

John

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
With a direct feed via a pressure reducing valve, you only need a particle of debris to get across its valve seat for the van's pipework to be subjected to the mains pressure. Water is effectively not compressible, when static everything sees the supply pressure.

The UK regulations allow that to be between 40 and 80 psi, but the caravans items such as the Alde are rated to 28 psi, so every chance of blowing something and ensuring an uncontrolled leak.

So, you base your decision on how perfectly the pressure reducer will always operate, and on never getting anything from the water supply or your hose into the valve.

In industry where we value the product, aircraft or ships for example, there is always some relief function backing these pressure reducer valves. There is a bigger impact than just writing off a caravan. Plus, we don't use a few £s worth of plastic valve as our pressure reducer.

As few of us worry a caravan pipe etc will fail in conventional use of our Aquaroll, unless we have a pressure switched system; keeping the Aquaroll filled by a float system adds little risk to the van, just to getting a soggy pitch.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Also not use the pressure reducer system i preferred my Aquaroll float system with the blue pipe to the tap and leave it open but slowly so far everything ok

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Not sure whether there is some overthinking going on here - as I would imagine that spontaneous leaks in the caravan are pretty rare? I have a generic float system to the aquaroll which has worked well - it is transferable if I swap my caravan for one with different fittings - much cheaper than a direct link - and as someone else suggested you can turn the pump off when the van is unattended as i do normally. I do like the idea of the brass double outlet adaptor like this Solid Brass Double Hose Connector for Outdoor Tap And Garden Hoses – Screw On Y Garden Tap Fitting : Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors when either system is in use to allow tap usage without disconnecting.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If a caravan does flood and you get rid of the water straight away, you probably will not have any issues. I may be wrong, but I think it would take a couple of days for the wood to be affected with damp.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
If a caravan does flood and you get rid of the water straight away, you probably will not have any issues. I may be wrong, but I think it would take a couple of days for the wood to be affected with damp.

That would be one of those very rare caravans where the furniture is not finished in a vinyl film or the deck a bonded vinyl floor covering, then? ;)
Did you mean, "if you get rid of the caravan straight away?"

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That would be one of those very rare caravans where the furniture is not finished in a vinyl film or the deck a bonded vinyl floor covering, then? ;)
We have a Lunar and a Buccaneer caravan flood due to poor fitting of internal pipes. No issues with damp on either when checked at annual service. When yours flooded what was the damp reading.Water flooding1.jpgWater flooding5.jpg

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Even with a pressure reducer I never felt safe connected direct to mains pressure. The caravan plumbing isn’t used to it😉. So I continue with Aquaroll mains adaptor and switch off pump on the way out.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
We have a Lunar and a Buccaneer caravan flood due to poor fitting of internal pipes. No issues with damp on either when checked at annual service. When yours flooded what was the damp reading.

In the 50 years, we have not actually had a flood.

It was not "damp readings" at annual servicing I had in mind. And it is not something that necessarily you can get rid of the water straight away.

It was the capillary attraction and wicking into the cut edges, with only those edges the surface there to dry that water out. Many of these cut edges at risk not being in open well vented locations.
That inevitably slowly drying water, potentially rusting steel screws, swelling the wood composite.
It can't be anything but something best avoided, zero positives.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
In the 50 years, we have not actually had a flood.

It was not "damp readings" at annual servicing I had in mind. And it is not something that necessarily you can get rid of the water straight away.

It was the capillary attraction and wicking into the cut edges, with only those edges the surface there to dry that water out. Many of these cut edges at risk not being in open well vented locations.
That inevitably slowly drying water, potentially rusting steel screws, swelling the wood composite.
It can't be anything but something best avoided, zero positives.

How often did you use yours before you had your caravan flooded which changed your mind about using the system?

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Well I think having read these comments or should I say arguments I’m going to stick with the float in the aqua roll as said by DD, easy to flick the switch off the pump as it’s right by the door, thanks for all the input.

BP

Reactions: otherclive

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
How often did you use yours before you had your caravan flooded which changed your mind about using the system?

I have never used a caravan direct water pressure reducer valve based feed, nor any indirect feed,
I have never had a water flood in a caravan.
I have never changed my mind on using any caravan pressure reducing valve based system.

I have extensive experience in this subject having designed and specified many potable direct water systems for capital projects.
I have knowledge of reducer valve failures and the causes.
For me an unnecessary risk too far.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all, I’ve read numerous threads on here regarding using either the hose that goes from the tap on a fully serviced pitch to the caravan or using the float in the aqua roll, although I’ve read plenty of topics I’ve never been able to be decided as to which is the safest.
1st. Float in aqua roll system, if a pipe in the caravan leaks then due to the pressure drop the aqua roll will refill endlessly and the water will leak in the caravan with the van getting flooded.

2nd using the other system which I believe has a pressure lowering system so that the water pressure in the van is lowered, so again if I’m right, if a pipe in the caravan was to leak then due to the pressure was to drop, the pump would again keep pumping so as to try to bring up the pressure, same result as I see it both systems would flood the caravan endlessly.
Is there any benefit in one system above the other, any input as to which is most reliable and why.

BP
In the scenario you suggest where you have a leak inside the caravan due to a failed fitting, as you suggest the outcome is exactly the same, a flooded caravan. But what you need to do is to look

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Beehpee, I use the aquaroll and float system, I bought a pressure reducer to fit on a tap, but saw how flimsy it seemed went back to the Aqua roll.
Mel has the pressure reducer system and it works well for them.
I did have a pipe disconnect once flooded under the front bench seat,with a full aqua rolls worth of water, had the heater on for a full 24hours to dry it out. Since then went around all the pipes making sure they were firmly pushed together.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Beephee,

The scenario you describe where regardless of the source of the water the caravan floods is indicative of faulty pipework in the caravan and not of the difference between a pressure reducer or a floatation valve in a water barrel, and both would have the same outcome.

But the main difference of concern between the pressure reducer and the floatation valve, is the risk of failure of the mains water pressure reducer compared to a floatation valve.

If a floatation valve failed all that would happen is the water barrel would overflow. If its an external tank then there would be no risk the the caravan. If the tank were internal, then yes there would be a flooding risk. But as the floatation valves are basically a domestic float valve, just consider how we rarely give them a second thought in our domestic water tanks and cisterns. They are basically very reliable, and there is no reason why the versions used in caravans would be any less so.

By comparison, the pressure reducing valves connect directly to the caravan, and if they begin to leak internally then as has been stated already that will allow the static head pressure of the mains water to be applied to the caravans pipe work. If the various Pressure Relief Valves (PRV's) normally associated with water heaters, but in teh event of a catastrophic Pressure reduction valve failure its would likely exceed the flow capacity of the PRV's and pressure in teh water system could build up to dangerous levels beyond the pressure rating of the appliance's and fittings.

For that reason alone I do not suggest using mains water pipes and pressure reducers.

But there is another aspect of them which can cause annoyance. Some pressure reducer valves not only reduce the pressure but they also begin to restrict the flow of water, and there have been some reports where users complain about low water flows compared to their submersible pumps.

In addition if you are on a site where water pressure is very variable when others are using water, it might make your supply less than adequate for some things like showers.

Having you own water barrel can be big advantage.

Reactions: otherclive and JTQ
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I do not read that JTQ has had a flood.
He seemed to be the expert on whether to use the float or direct feed to the caravan so assumed that at some point his caravan had flooded using one of these methods.
Your caravan can flood just as easily using a normal pump and aquaroll so in essence it is not different to using a direct supply.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
We have used both. The Watermaster is pricier but far quicker to set up. Pressure maybe a tad less than the float and pump which can be had very cheaply off flea bay or similar . If you're worried about leaks switch the tap and pump off when you go out . Simples.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have used both. The Watermaster is pricier but far quicker to set up. Pressure maybe a tad less than the float and pump which can be had very cheaply off flea bay or similar . If you're worried about leaks switch the tap and pump off when you go out . Simples.
On both occasions when we were flooded, we were in the caravan and did not know it was flooding. On both occasions we were using the aquaroll and normal pump.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
On both occasions when we were flooded, we were in the caravan and did not know it was flooding. On both occasions we were using the aquaroll and normal pump.
But as said by others above if your pipework in the caravan is faulty you will get a leak from either external system. I preferred the aqua roll as it still gave the option to go back to the basic makers supplied system and switched the pump off on leaving the caravan. Fortunately we never had a flood in the van, but three in our previous house caused by mains and heating pipes buried in the substrate and not protected. House must have been built by a NCC affiliate 😱

• Haha
Reactions: JezzerB and Buckman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts