Does the policy holder have to be the “tower”?

Jun 19, 2024
Visit site
As title really, I’ve been getting quotes and doing them in my name, however I just realised that may not be right?
I won’t be the one driving the towing vehicle…

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
As title really, I’ve been getting quotes and doing them in my name, however I just realised that may not be right?
I won’t be the one driving the towing vehicle…

Are we talking caravan insurance or car insurance?

For caravan insurance it doesn't really matter.

For car insurance, the policy holder and any named drivers are the insured persons, but the car insurance doesn't cover the caravan for damage caused to it whilst it's being towed only damage to third parties.

Damage to the caravan whilst being towed is covered by the caravan insurance.

Reactions: redelf
Jun 19, 2024
Visit site
Are we talking caravan insurance or car insurance?

For caravan insurance it doesn't really matter.

For car insurance, the policy holder and any named drivers are the insured persons, but the car insurance doesn't cover the caravan for damage caused to it whilst it's being towed only damage to third parties.

Damage to the caravan whilst being towed is covered by the caravan insurance.
Caravan insurance - so it’s ok if it’s in my name?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not sure that’s what we want, the driver will be my husband and not me… and I’d want full insurance not just 3rd party….
Whilst towing your car insurance only gives cover for risk to third parties. If you require the caravan to be insured for possible damage when towing tand o other risks when stored or on site you insure it separately via Caravan and Motorhome Club, Caravanguard, Towergate etc. there are quite a number of insurers that cover caravan in their own right.

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
Caravan insurance - so it’s ok if it’s in my name?

I am not aware of this being a problem, but after my earlier post on checking our policy (with the caravan club) I've noticed the policy is in my name and Mrs. JRT is named as a 'Other permission holders:' so it may differ between companies.

As ever with insurance always worth double checking with the company you settle on if this would be an issue.

Jun 19, 2024
Visit site
Whilst towing your car insurance only gives cover for risk to third parties. If you require the caravan to be insured for possible damage when towing tand o other risks when stored or on site you insure it separately via Caravan and Motorhome Club, Caravanguard, Towergate etc. there are quite a number of insurers that cover caravan in their own right.
Yes, it’s caravan insurance I’m asking about ;)

Jun 19, 2024
Visit site
I am not aware of this being a problem, but after my earlier post on checking our policy (with the caravan club) I've noticed the policy is in my name and Mrs. JRT is named as a 'Other permission holders:' so it may differ between companies.

As ever with insurance always worth double checking with the company you settle on if this would be an issue.
Thanks

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Best way to do is to have both of you on the policy in case something happens to the OH.

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
Best way to do is to have both of you on the policy in case something happens to the OH.
Be careful. When my Sister in law passed away all the car insurance was in her name and ceased the moment she passed.
Brother in law had to get round and re-insure in his name before he could use the car.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Be careful. When my Sister in law passed away all the car insurance was in her name and ceased the moment she passed.
Brother in law had to get round and re-insure in his name before he could use the car.
Both our cars have both our names on the policy. Caravan also has both our names on the policy. Most contracts or subscriptions have both our names for the reasons stated above.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Both our cars have both our names on the policy. Caravan also has both our names on the policy. Most contracts or subscriptions have both our names for the reasons stated above.
Surely the cars have the policy holder and a named driver. If the policy holder dies are you sure the named driver can continue to drive even for a short period.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Surely the cars have the policy holder and a named driver. If the policy holder dies are you sure the named driver can continue to drive even for a short period.
Why wouldn't the named driver be able to drive the vehicle? They would need to update the insurance company that they are now the main driver.

With the Corolla, policy is in OH's name, but I am down as main driver and she is a named driver. On Jeep she is the named driver even though she has never driven this Jeep.

Jun 19, 2024
Visit site
Can I ask who you’ve used to insure your caravan? Caravan Guard won’t quote unless we put a tracker on… one of the club ones was £1500, one was £800, best price is £460 but only 3 star defaqto rating… seems wildly different from different companies

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Can I ask who you’ve used to insure your caravan? Caravan Guard won’t quote unless we put a tracker on… one of the club ones was £1500, one was £800, best price is £460 but only 3 star defaqto rating… seems wildly different from different companies
We are with Caravanguard, but we have a Phantom tracker fitted. Last year for new for old cover exceeding £50k premium was under £600. We have a recognised tracker for peace of mind.

If you are spending £30k on a caravan why skimp and get the cheapest insurance quote only to have hassles if you are unfortunate enough to submit a claim. Also if you have zero No Claims bonus the first year will be higher than usual. If you had a motorhome previously maybe you coudl transfer that No Claims bonus, but you would need to speak to a real live person.

Jun 19, 2024
Visit site
We are with Caravanguard, but we have a Phantom tracker fitted. Last year for new for old cover exceeding £50k premium was under £600. We have a recognised tracker for peace of mind.

If you are spending £30k on a caravan why skimp and get the cheapest insurance quote only to have hassles if you are unfortunate enough to submit a claim. Also if you have zero No Claims bonus the first year will be higher than usual. If you had a motorhome previously maybe you coudl transfer that No Claims bonus, but you would need to speak to a real live person.
Ok that’s useful to know - thanks!
Yes. Don’t intend to skimp, but also don’t want to pay too much. We are considering a tracker too but we haven’t made a decision yet.
£600 I’d be happy with tbh… but as you say, we have no caravan no claims but I will speak to them and see if they will accept the motorhome ones

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Why wouldn't the named driver be able to drive the vehicle? They would need to update the insurance company that they are now the main driver.

With the Corolla, policy is in OH's name, but I am down as main driver and she is a named driver. On Jeep she is the named driver even though she has never driven this Jeep.
Who is the policy holder? If they die can a named driver still drive the car? That was my question. By notifying and amending the insurance they then become the policyholder. But what happens in the intervening period?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

The point is the policyholder is the person who holds the policy. A named driver is not the policyholder. If the policy holder dies, the policy is legally cancelled, and thus the named driver would lose the cover afforded by the policy.

Similarly if the policyholder has a policy withdrawn (for whatever reason), the policy would also be withdrawn from all the named drivers.

A ever with questions like this the official answer can only be provided by the T&C's for the policy or by the insurer concerned.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Who is the policy holder? If they die can a named driver still drive the car? That was my question. By notifying and amending the insurance they then become the policyholder. But what happens in the intervening period?
Best ask your insurance company as they all have different T&Cs. However this is of no help to the OP.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I am not aware of any personal lines U.K. Motor Insurer who issues policies in joint names. It has has always been the Policy holder plus named drivers. In the event of the Policy holders death the cover ceases immediately and even a named driver will not , technically , be covered. A phone call to the Insurer will be essential if cover is required by the named driver.
Sorry to repeat a lot of what has been said but there are a ver good reasons in Law. Eg Motor Insurance is one of two that is mandatory by way of a Statute Law.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts