Dogs and Italy

Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
I have tried to use the search facility as I'm certain there was a thread about this, but I couldn't find it. It concerns whether dogs should be muzzled in Italy in public places. Has anyone come across this?

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Mike

We took our border collie Max with us to Italy in 2007. We stayed at Camping Roma Sport near Bracciano and then on Lake Iseo. We had read somewhere that we did need a muzzle for Max and so bought one in a pet shop in Bracciano. We did, however, see a lot of other Italian dogs without muzzles so perhaps we got it wrong.

We did not actually take Max into Rome but left him in our caravan on our shady pitch - he's used to being left at home and just likes to sleep. Although Italy was very warm and despite his thick coat Max did not seem bothered by the heat - when we sat outside the 'van he just found a shady spot to lie down.

We had given Max worming tablets to deal with heartworm and other such pests, as well as his rabies treatment for his pet passport, and had no health problems with him. Max loves to caravan with us and had a super time. I'm sure your dog will tool

Unfortunately I've just realised that we've missed, only by a cople of weeks, the expiry date for his rabies jab and so we would have to start all over again with the blood tests and 2 inoculations costing a total of c

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
David, thanks for the link, it seems that only dangerous dogs need muzzles. The bugs sound frightening tho.
Frm a quick scan of that document (well found David), I imagine that most of the bugs live on the Continent generally.

Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
Tim, our dog likes the caravan as well because we are with her all the time. I play tennis with a retired vet so will get free advice about bug treatment. Thanks for your comments about muzzles, we'll see when we get there.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts