Draining down the water,

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The time of year or at least the cold weather is coming, to make me think about the best way to drain down the water systems, I have normally just open up the drain taps and open the sink taps. But I think maybe blowing back through the sink taps with an airbed type pump might help drain the last little bit out, only had one burst pipe in 10 years.
Your thought please folks,

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Same as you , I normally open the dump valve as I am leaving this site , open all the taps then just drive and let it all filter out when driving . I've never had a problem yet in the last 5 / 6 year .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I always just used to open the taps and drain valves, and remove the drain plug from the Cascade heater on final journey before winter storage. The motion of the towed caravan was very effective at removing the water from the system, I never had a a problem with frost damage, though I have dealt with many that have.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Same as you , I normally open the dump valve as I am leaving this site , open all the taps then just drive and let it all filter out when driving . I've never had a problem yet in the last 5 / 6 year .
same here.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
I'm another that opens the dump valve and taps before towing, mainly as a weight saving measure but it does help prevent frozen pipes at this time of year. I also drain the toilet flush tank and toilet cassette.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dodger524 said:
I'm another that opens the dump valve and taps before towing, mainly as a weight saving measure but it does help prevent frozen pipes at this time of year. I also drain the toilet flush tank and toilet cassette.

I too do as you. But add a small dose of windscreen wash fluid into to flush tank, and down the bathroom and kitchen sinks.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
otherclive said:
Dodger524 said:

I too do as you. But add a small dose of windscreen wash fluid into to flush tank, and down the bathroom and kitchen sinks.

Same here, Put enough windscreen wash in toilet so it pushes all water out, the washes that smell of apple are nice. B) B)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
DaveA1 said:
otherclive said:
Dodger524 said:

Same here, Put enough windscreen wash in toilet so it pushes all water out, the washes that smell of apple are nice. B) B)

I should also have said pump a small amount of windscreen wash through the toilet flush pump to protect the pimp too.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
otherclive said:
I should also have said pump a small amount of windscreen wash through the toilet flush pump to protect the pimp too.

Why does that Gendarme from 'Allo 'Allo who thinks that he can speak French spring to mind?
I'm guessing that you meant 'pump' Clive :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A pointless fact...

Arthur Bostram, The police officer in Allo Allo was engaged to open Carver's stand at an Earls Court caravan show in the 1980's

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Parksy said:
otherclive said:

Why does that Gendarme from 'Allo 'Allo who thinks that he can speak French spring to mind?
I'm guessing that you meant 'pump' Clive :lol: :lol: :lol:

Parksy
It’s not that I suffer nits quite regularly is it? :)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, Looks like we nearly all do the same, I might try the blow through and see i I can get any more water out, I have also realised that I have the outside shower unit, which I haven't removed the cap, as this holds water as well as the filter , its the Truma Sureflow system.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
For the bit where yous are saying you put screen wash into the tank do you put it into this bit you mean where you would normally put the flush water ? (obviously the top one)

Craig

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
For the bit where yous are saying you put screen wash into the tank do you put it into this bit you mean where you would normally put the flush water ? (obviously the top one)

Craig

Craig
Yes then I pump some through into the cassette. Then empty cassette. Beat intellitext thos tome :)

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
otherclive said:
Craig
Yes then I pump some through into the cassette. Then empty cassette. Beat intellitext thos tome :)

Understood - apart from the last sentence :unsure:
So is it everytime you drain down and leave standing or for people that leave for months at a time parked up unused over winter , does it make a difference if I don't do it saying that we are out every 5 weeks in ours through the winter anyway ? I've never done it before I never had a problem but dont want a problem either .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
otherclive said:
Craig

Go back to Parkys post and it should become clear. I will stop deliberately doing it now, but cannot rule out hitting 'i" instead of 'o' when I use my phone.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We remove the shower head and blow down it to remove any excess water. It works for us. Any water left behind will be minute quantities and have plenty of room to expand without causing any damage. Cheaper that spending £30 or more quid on some gadget that does the same. LOL! :cheer:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
otherclive said:
Craig

So is it everytime you drain down and leave standing or for people that leave for months at a time parked up unused over winter , does it make a difference if I don't do it saying that we are out every 5 weeks in ours through the winter anyway ? I've never done it before I never had a problem but dont want a problem either .

In answer to your extra question I tend to do it during winter even if the van is being used. The weather can change quickly and drop down below freezing. Some just keep a pink solution in the tank but I don’t know what it’s anti frost properties are but anyway I drain down water before a journey and just leave 1-2 litres in the flush for on journey breaks. But that gets drained down on arrival home.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts