Draining on serviced pitches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Just thought I would share this which I learnt from another forum.

It is for use on a serviced pitch. It saves all the hassle of trying to get the drain pipe to fall evenly and the need to carry rigid pipe.

987791B1-700D-4DE5-A412-BA7239EB94C8.jpeg
6C884B02-1CAA-4916-86FF-9C6F7F945408.jpeg

The principle is simple and it works. The van drains into the bucket which fills to the pipe insert. It then would have sufficient head to run the water to the drain.

The water will never go uphill, obviously, but will cope with the undulations of the pitch.

The seal I have used is from the rear of a high level toilet flush pipe connection. The convoluted pipe just pushes in.

This is my second, the first became a bit grotty. But worked well.

All I,need to do now is to find a paint that will stick to it.

John

Reactions: Parksy
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I cannot understand what it achieves. It doesn't raise the head.

Technically it doesnโ€™t โ€˜raiseโ€˜ the head higher than the vans outlet. But it allows the waste to be fed into the drain at its own pace, something not practical to do directly from the van as it might back up and could blow the joints. So it would be more accurate to say effectively raises the head.

Believe me it works, and works very well.

These weโ€™re being made and sold by a person on the forum I got the idea from. He did it for cost. Nevertheless he got accused of profiteering from a stupid system which could never work.

I gave it a go, and am happy with the result.

69F21190-B652-48A2-AAF3-85C3A63808EC.jpeg

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Technically it doesnโ€™t โ€˜raiseโ€˜ the head higher than the vans outlet. But it allows the waste to be fed into the drain at its own pace, something not practical to do directly from the van as it might back up and could blow the joints. So it would be more accurate to say effectively raises the head.

These weโ€™re being made and sold by a person on the forum I got the idea from. He did it for cost. Nevertheless he got accused of profiteering from a stupid system which could never work.

View attachment 2188

John
I would give it try out on my van and like what you say if it works i would be a happy bunny (y)

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We use these pegs which seems to sort out any issues. https://colapz.co.uk/collections/flexi-waste-pipes/products/flexi-waste-pipe-metal-pegs Invariably drain is at rear of the pitch and higher meaning water has to run uphill. Therefore on our caravan the drain outlets are now closer to the ground due to the slope of the pitch so a bucket would not fit under the outlets anyway. Pegs normally sort out the issue. :D

Pegs and rigid pipe are bound to work and will always be best. This just save a lot of bother.

John

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site

View attachment 2188

John
The only possible effect is that of allowing air into the tube. That could be done by introducing a tee with a vertical air inlet stack open to atmosphere. Houses have stench pipes which also prevent toilets from throttling.
Throttling in a shower tray can be caused by soap bubbles blocking the grid (and preventing air entering) in the tray. Press the ball of your foot onto the grid and it will clear.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The only possible effect is that of allowing air into the tube. That could be done by introducing a tee with a vertical air inlet stack open to atmosphere. Houses have stench pipes which also prevent toilets from throttling.
Throttling in a shower tray can be caused by soap bubbles blocking the grid (and preventing air entering) in the tray. Press the ball of your foot onto the grid and it will clear.

A McAlpine vent. Would let air in, but would not help in feeding the waste into the drain at a slower rate while allowing unrestricted flow from the van. Canโ€™t think where it might be fitted and at 100mm min, not too practical.

If anyone has tried running a convoluted pipe directly into a drain or ditch. from the vans outlet, they will know that although the height of the van might provide sufficient head, the flow is abysmal and can back up. With this, the flow from the van is unrestricted. The bucket feeds into the outlet at its own pace. Also. If too slow. It builds up a reservoir in the upper third both storing waste and providing extra head and weight to push through the pipe.

A simple solution which I promise, works.

I did worry about storage, particularly as it only gets used occasionally. But the fact is, it is useful for storing bits and bobs and keeping the front locker tidy.

John

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
A McAlpine vent. Would let air in, but would not help in feeding the waste into the drain at a slower rate while allowing unrestricted flow from the van. Canโ€™t think where it might be fitted and at 100mm min, not too practical.

If anyone has tried running a convoluted pipe directly into a drain or ditch. from the vans outlet, they will know that although the height of the van might provide sufficient head, the flow is abysmal and can back up. With this, the flow from the van is unrestricted. The bucket feeds into the outlet at its own pace. Also. If too slow. It builds up a reservoir in the upper third both storing waste and providing extra head and weight to push through the pipe.

A simple solution which I promise, works.

I did worry about storage, particularly as it only gets used occasionally. But the fact is, it is useful for storing bits and bobs and keeping the front locker tidy.

John

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Forget McAlpine, which I didn't mention. I referred to a tee with up-stand to permit air entry (which is what that gadget does).
The laws of physics cannot be changed, and you cannot drain a bucket from an outlet near the top, as gravity will hold any water below the exit, down. The only water which will run from the bucket is at or above the exit port, which must be lower than the caravan outlet (unless you go out, mid-shower, and kick the bucket over). :D If your gadget was workable, thousands of people would not have spent centuries building locks with gates in canals.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Forget McAlpine, which I didn't mention. I referred to a tee with up-stand to permit air entry (which is what that gadget does).
The laws of physics cannot be changed, and you cannot drain a bucket from an outlet near the top, as gravity will hold any water below the exit, down. The only water which will run from the bucket is at or above the exit port, which must be lower than the caravan outlet (unless you go out, mid-shower, and kick the bucket over). :D If your gadget was workable, thousands of people would not have spent centuries building locks with gates in canals.
I can see that JC's device can't alter the water head but it does have merits in water storage

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

Your logic is wrong, it works for all the reasons provided. I believe you need to try it, or dismiss it. Simple.

You are of course correct, the only water which will exit the bucket is from ABOVE the outlet. I never suggested differently. But that is rather the point of it. That is in fact what makes it work. At the end of your stay, you will need to empty the bucket, but just the once.

John

Reactions: Anseo
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I can see that JC's device can't alter the water head but it does have merits in water storage

Exactly, it is the reseviour above the outlet which is what generates the head and allows it to work. I think Ern could be missing that aspect.
It is not rocket science and only works within what physics will allow.

John

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Been watching this thread whilst on a site with grey water drainage, so basically the bucket is a temporary holding tank with outlet, slow drainage this would mean the sink ect would empty as if using a wastemaster (no backup to shower tray). Always a bonus

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Been watching this thread whilst on a site with grey water drainage, so basically the bucket is a temporary holding tank with outlet, slow drainage this would mean the sink ect would empty as if using a wastemaster (no backup to shower tray). Always a bonus

Good explanation.

John

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I use serviced pitches as often as I can and Iโ€™m on serviced most of the time, and in 10 years Iโ€™ve never had a problem with waste drainage, might be a bit slow but give me slow every time if it means I donโ€™t have to drag the waste master to empty it, most Iโ€™ve ever done is to put something heavy enough to lower the flexi pipe on an odd time, Iโ€™m away in the caravan to relax and enjoy myself not to spend my every waking moment worrying about how fast the water drains, I prefer to enjoy life.

BP

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I use serviced pitches as often as I can and Iโ€™m on serviced most of the time, and in 10 years Iโ€™ve never had a problem with waste drainage, might be a bit slow but give me slow every time if it means I donโ€™t have to drag the waste master to empty it, most Iโ€™ve ever done is to put something heavy enough to lower the flexi pipe on an odd time, Iโ€™m away in the caravan to relax and enjoy myself not to spend my every waking moment worrying about how fast the water drains, I prefer to enjoy life.

BP

You might be missing the point somewhat. The advantage of this system, for me, is that is saves any messing with rigid pipes or propping a pipe to gain a fall. It is simple, effective and extremely easy.
A decent serviced pitch should require minimal setting up anyway. But for those who make more use of basic pitches with variable layouts simple and easy is a benefit. Particularly, if, like us you use the caravans shower and having good drainage is then a definite advantage.

I did mention that it also suited sites which allowed drainage into a hedge or ditch.

Genuinely sorry now that I tried to make a suggestion that might be of help to some.

John

Reactions: JezzerB

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
I am with you all the way, John. We use CL's a lot and occasionally find that we have the possibility to drain the shower water away, and the nearest hedge/ditch is close enough, too close to bother with a Wastemaster. A simple hose would be all that is needed, but ........... Been there, got the tee shirt.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Well, I succumbed ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž. If they donโ€™t work Iโ€™m sending them to Buckman for a refund๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ

D853F761-D2A4-4EE3-B5BD-8AB325A3A9A4.jpeg

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Well, I succumbed ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž. If they donโ€™t work Iโ€™m sending them to Buckman for a refund๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ

View attachment 2249
We had to use ours last week for water to drain into hedge which as the other side of a fence and the grass under the bottom wire had not been cut for awhile as water would have had to flow uphill. Pegs solved that issue. :D .

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

View attachment 2249

I hope they work well for you, seem very well made. Will you be using with rigid pipe? When I tried using pegs the convoluted just sagged between pegs and the rigid a pain to achieve the right length. Hence why I use the bucket solution. Perhaps the Colapz own flexible pipe kits will work OK, but bit of a price.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts