Dvd to Usb pen ?

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Just had the dvd player go :angry: in the tv at home, now i know most things can be put onto a usb pen and viewed through the tv,

Question is what program do you use to do it, so that the format is compatible for use on a tv or laptop i seem to remember reading about some one doing it to save having to carry a lot of dvds when away in the van. ( but can't remember if it was just for laptop use ) :unsure:

Cheers...

Nov 17, 2005
Visit site
Greetings Sir Sproket,

There are a number of suppliers for the necessary software and this is but one of them www.newcyberian.com/dvd-on-usb.html, who also have some info on their web site. Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, this only works on systems which have an operating system, such as Windows or Mac OS and therefore excludes your standard TV even if it has USB inputs.

Regards

Firkle

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
If it's just for home use why not connect with a HDMI cable and use your laptop Dvd driver.
If it hasnt got HDMI you could use a VGA cable See tips here

Or you can use a streamer like the Google chromecastGoogle chromecast
Son got me one of these for christmas and connects the tablet, havent used it to it's full potential yet though.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Sproket said:
Cheers Kev

We already use a mini hdmi to normal hdmi cable to the tv so that we can watch films online from Amazon, it's the dvd's that the OH requires to watch, I know it's doable.
Might have to look for a new dvd drive to replace the old one as it might work out cheaper...

So are you saying the Laptop/computer DVD Driver doesnt work through the HDMI cable?
Or are you just using a tablet with no DVD driver?

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
When we watch films off Amazon we use a playbook & a Hdmi cable, that setup will come in ok when we are in the van & there's nowt on the box ....
I have seen it being done on You tube, I think I will have to have a mess about tomorrow ....

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi Sprocket, a USB drive will not play DVD's as it is the wrong format to play on the TV in the USB slot.
the format supported in that slot is Jpeg, mp3 and mp4.only
you can play films but only if they are in mp4 format.
bear with me while the brain engages,,,,,,,, it has been a long time since I did this but from memory you have to.
1. download a file converter to the laptop or PC.
2. put the stick in to laptop, make sure it is a empty one,
3. format the stick to mp4.
4. load the film on to the desktop in a new folder
5 then using the file converter change the folder from DVD to mp4.
6. then transfer the film onto the stick by grab and drop.
7. put the stick in slot on TV
8 with remote go to source and click USB/Storage.
9. a sub menu should come up showing. photos. music. films/movies.
10 click films/movies. when box comes up press play.
I think I have everything in right order but it has been a long time , good luck and enjoy.

ps if you want to use the stick for anything else later, it is a simple task to re convert it by formatting.
colin

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
DeliDave_ said:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/myffvideoconver/

This is the free converter I use for avi,DivX to MP4 etc

Thanks Dave,
Sadly it did not have the right format, i could get the sound but not both ...
What I have found out though is that Hitachi has got a different format to Sharp as we have one of each & it was the Hitachi's dvd drive that had gone bust. I have lost count how many times & different formats i have tried today.

colin-yorkshire said:
hi Sprocket, a USB drive will not play DVD's as it is the wrong format to play on the TV in the USB slot.
the format supported in that slot is Jpeg, mp3 and mp4.only
you can play films but only if they are in mp4 format.
bear with me while the brain engages,,,,,,,, it has been a long time since I did this but from memory you have to.
1. download a file converter to the laptop or PC.
2. put the stick in to laptop, make sure it is a empty one,
3. format the stick to mp4.
4. load the film on to the desktop in a new folder
5 then using the file converter change the folder from DVD to mp4.
6. then transfer the film onto the stick by grab and drop.
7. put the stick in slot on TV
8 with remote go to source and click USB/Storage.
9. a sub menu should come up showing. photos. music. films/movies.
10 click films/movies. when box comes up press play.
I think I have everything in right order but it has been a long time , good luck and enjoy.

ps if you want to use the stick for anything else later, it is a simple task to re convert it by formatting.
colin

Thanks for the tips, Colin but on the two tv's that we have, neither will not play a video direct from Mp4 :angry: they must have changed.
Anyway after quite a while of trying & not getting anywhere I downloaded Freemake & they have a format that I found that will transfer it direct from the dvd to avi ( tv standard ) having tried numerous ways of doing it, in the end it worked :woohoo: :woohoo: strait from the dvd rather than from a Mp4 file that i had converted earlier ( i have lost count how many times i have tried different combinations of format ) but at least i have now got it to work :p :p

Thanks again to both of you..

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
your welcome. glad you got it sorted,
it was quite a while ago so they must as you say have changed the format. originally when we first got the flat screen. I pondered why the tv would not play videos from my card reader [usb] it was fine with stills and would happily play music but not the video. found out it was recorded as a AVI file by the camera. but converting it to mp4 worked fine.
now it seems AVI is the file to use. funny old game this technology.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts