Eldiss Solid construction

Page 6 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It certainly is not a laughing matter, and fundamentally caravan manufacturers must address this issue otherwise they are basically producing expensive ornaments that shouldn't be driven on UK roads!

According to the The NCC web site:-

the NCC is supposed to offer:-
  • Informal Dispute Resolution Service (IDRS) between members and consumers
There are no public records to show the results of the IDRS but the reality is the NCC is set up and funded by the industry to try and protect the interests of the UK industry, and to lobby government on behalf of the industry, and so its independence as a mediator is very much suspect, and it is a toothless organisation, It cannot force any manufacturer member to follow through with a suggested resolution.

Ironically both the major "caravanning clubs" are members of the NCC. It makes you wonder if the adedge of "keep your friends close but keep your enemy's closer" is at play here.

For a caravan to be "fit for purpose" it must be capable of being towed over UK roads which may contain potholes.

It's unacceptable for a UK caravan manufacturer to produce a product that has no listed restrictions about what roads it may be used on, and for them to later rely on such a limitation to decline a warranty claim.

Caravanners, the "caravanning clubs" and magazines and consumer organisations should be jumping up and down making a real stink about the way some manufacturers are effectively failing to make their caravans suitable for use on the UK road network, and whilst its slightly off topic the same applies to other subjects like:-
  • Water ingress
  • poor quality and inconsistencies of quality.
  • Unfit upholstery.
  • High cost of caravans (due to profiteering, and having to fund the warranty costs).
  • Heavy weight of caravans with meagre pay load capacities.
  • Inconsistency of what is essential, habitation and pay loads.
  • Poor after sales performance of dealers and the manufacturer.
  • Unfair warranties that disadvantage customers. There should be an independent and binding warranty assessment procedure.
  • Misinformation about the real MTPLM of caravans.
  • Poor (sometimes illegal) advice concerning tow matching.
  • A Change to the CRA to allow challenges to manufacturers about the content of literature and advertising materials they produced for their a dealerships to entice customers to their products.
I think the UK public on balance are not aware of their statutory rights and how to insist on their application as covered by the CRA and other consumer based legislation, and many manufacturers and retailers rely on that ignorance to deliberately evade (not avoid) their legal obligations.

I honestly think it should be compulsory for every retailer to have a statutory notice prominently displayed that tells ( in short, simple terms) what every customer is entitled to under the CRA. and that whenever a customer has a problem the retailer must assume the customer wants it managed under the provisions of the CRA unless the customer elects and has it recorded to use the manufacturer's warranty.

There are too many retailers ( and manufactures dealers) who are making extra profit by evading customer rights.

Aug 28, 2021
Visit site
Well the response is back, the Eldiss say the failure is classic pothole damage and therefore not subject to warranty. Which leaves an insurance claim as the only way forward.
I accept that due to poor maintenance some of the roads we've been on (and the A617 is terrible) have had potholes and we can recall one occasion where we had no option but to go through one. However aren't these caravans supposed to be tested on rough test tracks - at least that what the SoLiD sales stuff says.
One way or another we'll get it fixed, sold and walk away from anything Eldiss.
Wish we'd never sold the Bailey now.

Hi Mandarin

Elddis's stock answer to any warranty claim is to blame everyone else except themselves ( e.g. the poor roads ; your driving technique etc etc) so from our (now considerable experience) of Elddis' s correspondence, I would be v careful about totally believing what Elddis write to you. For example, Elddis have actually lied to us regarding an inherent fault and we have now documentary evidence to prove it (using SAR).

Personally, I think you may be wise to get an independent expert report as the damage is serious - a report of this nature costs around £350, but may prove decisive.

The other thing to note (I would suggest) is to not let the 3 year anniversary pass (just in case the insurance company claims that it is an inherent fault after all!)

Additionally, I believe Elddis do have an obligation to you i.e. the end user, not to produce caravans negligently (i.e. this is a "duty of care" type case) - but this is a long shot and besides hopefully your insurance company will pick up the costs of your claim.

Hope all goes well for you. We will never buy an Elddis again either....

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi Mandarin

Elddis's stock answer to any warranty claim is to blame everyone else except themselves ( e.g. the poor roads ; your driving technique etc etc) so from our (now considerable experience) of Elddis' s correspondence, I would be v careful about totally believing what Elddis write to you. For example, Elddis have actually lied to us regarding an inherent fault and we have now documentary evidence to prove it (using SAR).

Personally, I think you may be wise to get an independent expert report as the damage is serious - a report of this nature costs around £350, but may prove decisive.

The other thing to note (I would suggest) is to not let the 3 year anniversary pass (just in case the insurance company claims that it is an inherent fault after all!)

Additionally, I believe Elddis do have an obligation to you i.e. the end user, not to produce caravans negligently (i.e. this is a "duty of care" type case) - but this is a long shot and besides hopefully your insurance company will pick up the costs of your claim.

Hope all goes well for you. We will never buy an Elddis again either....

As stated on many previous occasions the contract is between the dealer and the consumer and not between the manufacturer and the consumer. Therefore any issues should be addressed to the dealer and not the manufacturer.

We did this and pursued it and were succesfull in having an expensive repair for a crack done by the delaer with a small contribution from us. The law is on the side of the consumer and the consumer should use the legislation to the full extent for a successful claim without the need to involve expensive solicitors.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
As stated on many previous occasions the contract is between the dealer and the consumer and not between the manufacturer and the consumer. Therefore any issues should be addressed to the dealer and not the manufacturer.

We did this and pursued it and were succesfull in having an expensive repair for a crack done by the delaer with a small contribution from us. The law is on the side of the consumer and the consumer should use the legislation to the full extent for a successful claim without the need to involve expensive solicitors.
I agree. Several of us have been pushing the point but many people seem reluctant to proceed. As long as you are within the small claims limit the procedure is straightforward and cheap for you and the law while not favouring the claimants is certainly likely to put pressure on companies trying to defend the indefensible.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Its an interesting saga, and as the options are to laugh or cry I'm getting to the point of maniacal laughter now.

We need a quote for the insurers, no problem I thought. However very few repairers out there know how to repair anything connected with SoLiD construction, so after getting a list or workshops from Eldiss I'm working through them, so far all but one have said 'no way' and I'm now going out to 200 miles from home. I only want to use an Eldiss reccomended workshop, otherwise I can see the 6 year damp warranty being voided.

Happily the one saying 'yes' is the workshop who does our servicing and who's been helping throughout this saga (and they didn't even sell it to us). Its now back with them for a thorough check to enable them to quote. If they sort this one for us there will be a huge shout out for them on this forum.

So next lesson is do not buy a caravan with a unique and innovative method of construction. Eldiss may have tested to ensure its repairable but very few companies are prepared to do it, and Eldiss seem completely unaware of that fact.

PS. I really, really appreciate the thoughtful and constructive suggestions on here, I'm working on one or two of these as a back up plan just in case. THANK YOU !!

Reactions: otherclive and Mel
Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Update. The insurance assessor has assessed and confirmed pothole damage is most likely. Also advised that we must not use the van. However we now have the go ahead so fingers crossed we may have a usable van sometime in April.

Can't help feeling that SoLiD caravans should be able to withstand the rigors of UK roads, but apparently not despite the video the produced about 2014 where they tested them 'crashing through pothole and up kerbs' with no ill effect.

Anyway happy this is moving forward, but no more Eldiss products for us.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Many other brands suffer with the same issue of cracked panels. The manufacturers probably all use the same source.
This is not a cracked panel, the side is separating from the floor where the glued joint has failed, a process unique to Eldiss SoLiD production.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for all the updates Mandarin. Hopefully between your insurers and the approved repairer there will be a happy ending.
As an aside , a point Clive raised regarding Commercial vehicles as tugs. Only a few weeks ago I saw a low loader with a medium sized Swift on board and a large Single axle in tow. All the way from Cottington to Wiltshire. Could be the start of problems?

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Update, (as I hate not knowing the end of a story, and I hope this is the end.)

Very happy to say that after an 8 week wait for parts our dealer says the repairs should be done by mid June. Looking forward to our first trip in July after 8 months off the road. Another, booked since last year, in August then the Eldiss van will be traded in.

Pretty fed up that a 2 year old van has this happen and the manufacturers wash their hands of it.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Many thanks for sharing your result Mandarin. A real roller coaster nightmare. Whilst this matter is now resolved it beggars belief you have been without the caravan for 8 months. Good luck with your future choice

Reactions: Mandarin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts