Eldiss Solid construction

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am in that situation at present and it is the supplier's responsibility to resolve the issue even though the warranty is with another company. The vehicle was only 6 weeks from delivery when the issue was spotted.
The supplier are resolving the issue at present although intially I was told to chase the warranty company. Soon put them right however need to give the supplier their due, no more issues and a loan car is being supplied.
Have they diagnosed what caused the aberrations in the cars windows? Was its previous owner's post purchase actions, or an incipient fault in a batch of glass? Either way it is not a cheap repair.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Have they diagnosed what caused the aberrations in the cars windows? Was its previous owner's post purchase actions, or an incipient fault in a batch of glass? Either way it is not a cheap repair.

Not yet as there was a delay with collecting the vehicle due to the driver contracting Covid. It now appears that in addition to the issue with the windows, there could be an issue with the paintwork as it has white specks all across the vehicle.

I thought that it was normal and the colour for Jeep which is Diamond Crystal Black, but others on the Jeep forum have said it should be black with underlying sparkles in the paintwork and not with white flecks?

Jeep paintwork.jpg

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not yet as there was a delay with collecting the vehicle due to the driver contracting Covid. It now appears that in addition to the issue with the windows, there could be an issue with the paintwork as it has white specks all across the vehicle.

I thought that it was normal and the colour for Jeep which is Diamond Crystal Black, but others on the Jeep forum have said it should be black with underlying sparkles in the paintwork and not with white flecks?

View attachment 4176
That doesn't sound too good, as the last thing that you would want is a full respray. With windows and paintwork makes you wonder if it has been exposed to some chemical aerosol at some time. Hope it gets sorted.

Reactions: Buckman
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
That doesn't sound too good, as the last thing that you would want is a full respray. With windows and paintwork makes you wonder if it has been exposed to some chemical aerosol at some time. Hope it gets sorted.
Do you know the full history of the Jeep? Previous owner etc?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That begs the question who is the “Seller”?
Without seeing the specific details of the documentation I cannot say precisely, but if the dealer is acting as an agent for the warranty company, (edit) then the seller is the warranty company then the warranty company is the seller not the dealer.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am in that situation at present and it is the supplier's responsibility to resolve the issue even though the warranty is with another company. The vehicle was only 6 weeks from delivery when the issue was spotted.
The supplier are resolving the issue at present although intially I was told to chase the warranty company. Soon put them right however need to give the supplier their due, no more issues and a loan car is being supplied.
Because the goods are still within the CRA time window, and the fault was present at the time of purchase, the seller is still responsible. If the CRA time scales had expired that is when you would need to address the problem to the extended warranty company if the matter was covered by warranty policy you had signed up to.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Without seeing the specific details of the documentation I cannot say precisely, but if the dealer is acting as an agent for the warranty company, (edit) then the seller is the warranty company then the warranty company is the seller not the dealer.
Thanks, but warranty companies probably do not sell goods as such, only contracts.

Because the goods are still within the CRA time window, and the fault was present at the time of purchase, the seller is still responsible. If the CRA time scales had expired that is when you would need to address the problem to the extended warranty company if the matter was covered by warranty policy you had signed up to.

The seller has accepted responsibility so no issue there. I never signed up to any warranty. It was the dealer that supplied the warranty with the vehicle so technically the contract is between the dealer and the warranty company and not between the consumer and the warranty company.
The dealer did initially refer me to the warranty company until I pointed out that it was their responsibility to contact the warranty company. As it turned due to the nature of the issues or faults, as they are not mechanical they are not covered by the warranty anyway.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks, but warranty companies probably do not sell goods as such, only contracts.
The "goods" I referred to was your caravan which you clearly stated was 6 just six weeks from purchase, and so is still well within the terms of the CRA with your seller.

As you should also be well aware of is the CRA covers all retail contracts and that includes physical goods but also services collectively these can be referred to a "products".

If you sign up to an extended warranty that is a "product" supplied by the warranty company, and as such that contract is also subject to the CRA.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The "goods" I referred to was your caravan which you clearly stated was 6 just six weeks from purchase, and so is still well within the terms of the CRA with your seller.

As you should also be well aware of is the CRA covers all retail contracts and that includes physical goods but also services collectively these can be referred to a "products".

If you sign up to an extended warranty that is a "product" supplied by the warranty company, and as such that contract is also subject to the CRA.

Sorry for the confusion. OC asked about the issue with my 2nd hand 2018 motor vehicle which was purchased in Aug 2022 and I responded.

Nothing to do with caravan although we did make a claim for a cracked panel on a caravan that was nearly 5 years old and we were successful.

However as said I did not sign up for any warranty as basically they are worthless when trying to make a claim. The warranty was supplied as part of the goods and contractually would be different to a warranty that you go out and buy as an individual consumer.

Has the original OP Mandarin come back and given us any update as the thread has been hijacked along the way by others including myself?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Nit so
Sorry for the confusion. OC asked about the issue with my 2nd hand 2018 motor vehicle which was purchased in Aug 2022 and I responded.

Nothing to do with caravan although we did make a claim for a cracked panel on a caravan that was nearly 5 years old and we were successful.

However as said I did not sign up for any warranty as basically they are worthless when trying to make a claim. The warranty was supplied as part of the goods and contractually would be different to a warranty that you go out and buy as an individual consumer.

Has the original OP Mandarin come back and given us any update as the thread has been hijacked along the way by others including myself?

Not so much “hijacked”, more “ meandered” like a conversation in the pub 😊

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckman
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site

We need to be careful here without going off at a tangent.
A Warranty of any sort is still subject to CRA.
The Seller of that Warranty, Guarantee , Policy etc is subject to CRA..
We have seen hundreds of so called extended Warranties sold by the High Street Electrical Stores. Most cases have been found against the Seller for lots of reasons, primarily SOGA and the CRA.
The same is true of PPI. It was the Banks who sold the Insurers PPI policies. The Banks picked up the tab for the mis selling of the policies that weren’t worth the paper .
Similarly any policies purchased via a Broker, it is the Broker who is liable for failing to provide the correct Policy wording.

Looking at the Caravan , we all accept it is an assembly of numerous individual preassembled items, cooker fridge etc. Why are they treated differently to a water ingress warranty? IMO CRA applies across the board. I have seen nothing in the CRA that says otherwise?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We need to be careful here without going off at a tangent.
A Warranty of any sort is still subject to CRA.
The Seller of that Warranty, Guarantee , Policy etc is subject to CRA..
We have seen hundreds of so called extended Warranties sold by the High Street Electrical Stores. Most cases have been found against the Seller for lots of reasons, primarily SOGA and the CRA.
The same is true of PPI. It was the Banks who sold the Insurers PPI policies. The Banks picked up the tab for the mis selling of the policies that weren’t worth the paper .
Similarly any policies purchased via a Broker, it is the Broker who is liable for failing to provide the correct Policy wording.

Looking at the Caravan , we all accept it is an assembly of numerous individual preassembled items, cooker fridge etc. Why are they treated differently to a water ingress warranty? IMO CRA applies across the board. I have seen nothing in the CRA that says otherwise?
However if a warranty is inclusive and part of the deal it will not be covered by CRA 2015 unless the purchase was completely separate to the purchase of the goods and done by a consumer.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
But the original is part of the original purchase?? Well all the new caravans I bought never had anything to say otherwise??
The Manufacturers Warranty is not part of the product you buy, it is a separate offer from the manufacturer not the dealer. That why its called the "Manufactures Warranty" its not owned or offered by the dealer, The dealer is simply acting as an agent to set it up, but the actual warranty is controlled by the manufacturer. If the manufacturer offers and extension that you pay for again the dealer is only acting as an agent on behalf of the manufacturer. (edit) or the warranty company.

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
The dealer cannot opt out of his responsibility for repairs to a faulty product by buying you a guarantee. Basically he paid for this and it is more to protect him than you, although it would be useful to you if the dealer went out of business. There may be an argument that you pay for the warranty indirectly because the dealer would have to increase the price to pay that, but I would not have thought that would hold water in court. The dealer is responsible and if the problem is covered by the guarantee then that is between him and the guarantee company.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The dealer cannot opt out of his responsibility for repairs to a faulty product by buying you a guarantee. Basically he paid for this and it is more to protect him than you, although it would be useful to you if the dealer went out of business. There may be an argument that you pay for the warranty indirectly because the dealer would have to increase the price to pay that, but I would not have thought that would hold water in court. The dealer is responsible and if the problem is covered by the guarantee then that is between him and the guarantee company.

Your missing the point. Some manufacturers warranties and extended warranties afford the consumer with certain rights that go beyond the scope of the CRA. For example, most manufacturers warranties enable the customer to access repairs using other organisations without reference to the seller. Where as the CRA only has to be accessed through the seller. The manufacturers warranty can also include faults that were not present at the point of purchase where as the CRA does look for linkage to the condition of the product at the point of purchase. extended warranties may enable cover that goes beyond the time limits set by the statute of limitations.

Its details like this which can sometime make manufacturers or extended warranties more user friendly than opting for the CRA. route.

But in both cases of the Manufacturers Warranty, and extended warranties, are offers which are not binding on the dealer because the dealer is only acting as an agent for either the manufacturer or the warranty policy company.

The dealers liability rests with communicating the customers details and funds to the relevant company to set up the policy.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I’m still not comfortable with the Agents role described.
Manufacturers' agents or representatives are independent contractors who work on commission to sell products for more one or more manufacturers.
Some sell Bailey and Swift etc. I can see nothing in CRA that says an “Agent” can sell things and be exempt , even a warranty.
It is further noteworthy that the Warranties I have seen specifically tell you to consult your Dealer not the Manufacturer.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Your missing the point. Some manufacturers warranties and extended warranties afford the consumer with certain rights that go beyond the scope of the CRA. For example, most manufacturers warranties enable the customer to access repairs using other organisations without reference to the seller. Where as the CRA only has to be accessed through the seller. The manufacturers warranty can also include faults that were not present at the point of purchase where as the CRA does look for linkage to the condition of the product at the point of purchase. extended warranties may enable cover that goes beyond the time limits set by the statute of limitations.

Its details like this which can sometime make manufacturers or extended warranties more user friendly than opting for the CRA. route.

But in both cases of the Manufacturers Warranty, and extended warranties, are offers which are not binding on the dealer because the dealer is only acting as an agent for either the manufacturer or the warranty policy company.

The dealers liability rests with communicating the customers details and funds to the relevant company to set up the policy.

An issue is that at point of sale a panel looks okay and is okay, but 15 months later the panel cracks and both supplier and manufacturer deny any responsibility. Onus is on consumer to prove that fault existed at point of purchase and that can be very difficult, but not impossible.

May 7, 2012
Visit site

Sorry but I do not think I have said anything different to you.
Yes if the dealer pays for an extended warranty for the purchaser then the purchaser can use either that or the CRA assuming they would both apply to the fault. If either the CRA or the warranty give better protection you can use that one. It is possible a fault will develop which was not there or cannot be shown to exist at the date of sale and only the warranty would normally cover this.
The warranty is only binding on the company providing it and the CRA on the dealer although in most cases you would expect both to apply.
We do seem to be going off course here though as this was a 2020 model so the CRA will apply as should the warranty and the claim should be made using both.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The warranty is only binding on the company providing it and the CRA on the dealer although in most cases you would expect both to apply.
Generally when puchasing from a dealer the warranty is between the dealer and the manufacturer and not between the consumer and the manufacturer. In all cases first point of call is the supplier whether a dealer or a finance house even if a warranty was purchased after point of sale.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Generally when puchasing from a dealer the warranty is between the dealer and the manufacturer and not between the consumer and the manufacturer.

Its decades since we purchased a UK made caravan, but what you state did not apply to the warranty with our Hymer, a German van.

The warranty, did not involve the dealer, it was between us and Hymer and valid both in the UK and throughout at least a whole listing of European Hymer dealerships; I received a booklet naming countless numbers of these. In all obvious ways just like our two new cars purchased over the last decade have been.

In other products than caravans I have registered the purchase to instigate a warranty with the maker's European branch; LG, Western Digital & Opticron as example in the last year. I no case was other than declaring where purchased was the reseller involved.

Last edited:
Reactions: ProfJohnL

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts