Electricity usage on site…what’s..

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I have a meter which records usage by the KWh in my van and I reset it each time I go away. Using a 2KW kettle, a 750watt microwave, the fridge, a 450watt Ultrastore (which is on a timer) and a 750watt heater when required and a few hours of laptop and TV, during the summer months, I use less than 70KWh over a 10day day period. During a 10-day stay last October, with chillier evenings the 10-day usage rose to 134KWh.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
By law sites cannot charge for the metered electricity at any more than cost; but presumably some could charge less than cost. It may be that the (same) site that DD and I were on had their meters set at a lower tariff?
Mel
That is correct a site operator cannot resale electricity at a profit. It cannot be more than the cost to them. Though how would a member of the public be able to find out what the operator is charged?

What they pay will depend on the tariff they have with their supplier, and that means adajext sites could be charged different amounts, and thus charge you differently.

With regards the accuracy of meters (if they are used) again trading standards would insist that if a customer is being charger per kWh then the meters used to measure the amount used must be as accurate as the supplier companies metering.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
That is correct a site operator cannot resale electricity at a profit. It cannot be more than the cost to them. Though how would a member of the public be able to find out what the operator is charged?

What they pay will depend on the tariff they have with their supplier, and that means adajext sites could be charged different amounts, and thus charge you differently.

With regards the accuracy of meters (if they are used) again trading standards would insist that if a customer is being charger per kWh then the meters used to measure the amount used must be as accurate as the supplier companies metering.
I asked ofgem about the sale of electricity for EV charging on caravan sites. They sent me this. See the last para (bold) for the interesting bit.

In short, we do consider accommodation used for holidaying purposes to be within scope of the reselling rules (see appendix 1 of the 2002 MRP decision document).

However, the MRP would not apply if an inclusive charge were made for accommodation with no specified charge for electricity. Nor would it apply in a situation where a dedicated EV chargepoint is used. Based on the information you provided, it would appear that neither of these conditions are present: EV charging is done via a standard plugged connection, and payment is via a fee separate to the accommodation charge. Consequently, the MRP would apply to the EV charging arrangement you describe.

As our 2005 Guidance on the MRP explains, there are no hard and fast rules about the way in which the reseller calculates the bill for each individual purchaser. Ultimately it depends on whether or not the purchaser’s consumption is measured by way of a meter. As I understand it, this isn’t the case in this situation. As such, the reseller is responsible for estimating the bill on the basis of a methodology which must be explained to the purchaser on request. The reseller should use reasonable endeavours to recover no more than they paid for the power from their supplier.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
There is an additional problem with EV's in that the wiring of the EHU posts on pitches was never intended for the high drain EV's require. The owner of the site in Cornwall I stayed at recently had a guy surreptitiously charging his EV, despite the signs stating quite clearly not to, and the socket in the EHU post melted destroying both the socket and the EV charging cable plug.
Whilst I don't condone the charging of EVs on sites without permission, (I _always_ ask and respect the decision), an EHU post melting because of the use of an appliance, is nothing to do with an EV and everything to do with a faulty or poor install (or the post, socket or plug).

Posts are rated for the current on the breaker, and should be wired accordingly. If more than the rated current is used, the breaker should trip. If less, the correctly wired post (and socket and plug) should supply the load without overheating. If overheating occurs, something is either under-rated (a installation fault) or under maintained.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
CAMC have very strict rules about electricity used at CLs. All must be professionally tested annually lol and where meter coin charging I believe calibration is checked too.
Charging an EV , with permission etc may prove problematic. A 16 amp EHU powering caravan item’s probably wouldn’t leave much for the EV?
Our current (sic ) location has zero mobile phone nor Wi-Fi. The owners have enquired about Wi-Fi installation. At the moment it is cost prohibitive. I doubt they would want the expense of a proper EV charge point. Would it pay for itself in day two years ? ?

Reactions: Paullus1959
Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Whilst I don't condone the charging of EVs on sites without permission, (I _always_ ask and respect the decision), an EHU post melting because of the use of an appliance, is nothing to do with an EV and everything to do with a faulty or poor install (or the post, socket or plug).

Posts are rated for the current on the breaker, and should be wired accordingly. If more than the rated current is used, the breaker should trip. If less, the correctly wired post (and socket and plug) should supply the load without overheating. If overheating occurs, something is either under-rated (a installation fault) or under maintained.
I don't doubt what you're saying, I only heard it from the site owner, I never saw it for myself so he could have been making it up. The installation is only two years old, it's rated at 16amp and it has the latest breakers which trip when the EHU plug is removed from the socket.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
CAMC have very strict rules about electricity used at CLs. All must be professionally tested annually lol and where meter coin charging I believe calibration is checked too.
Charging an EV , with permission etc may prove problematic. A 16 amp EHU powering caravan item’s probably wouldn’t leave much for the EV?
Our current (sic ) location has zero mobile phone nor Wi-Fi. The owners have enquired about Wi-Fi installation. At the moment it is cost prohibitive. I doubt they would want the expense of a proper EV charge point. Would it pay for itself in day two years ? ?
Most EVs or 13A plug leads to charge an EV, allow you to select the maximum current draw (as low as 6A, and usually top out at 10A). I have used a number of 16A, and a couple of 10A EHU - with permission and suitable payment - to add a bit (or in some cases a lot) of range. But whether there is "room" or not, is not relevant to safety. The car will either charge, or it will trip the breaker and it wont. That may leave a problem for the user, but not for the site.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
I don't doubt what you're saying, I only heard it from the site owner, I never saw it for myself so he could have been making it up. The installation is only two years old, it's rated at 16amp and it has the latest breakers which trip when the EHU plug is removed from the socket.
He probably wasn't making it up. It probably happened. But that doesn't change the fact that an EV is just an appliance. The melted bollard could just as easily (in fact more easily) been caused by a 3kW fan heater or 3kW cooking appliance. Its not an EV thing - its a maintenance thing.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
How to reduce consumption wasn’t really the question (however it’s good to know the shortcuts) I’m trying to find out what other people get through in case I’ve got a fault in the electrics.
We've just had 14 nights on a metered pitch in Northumberland - kept the Alde heating switched off during the day while we were out and off at night when we were in bed - apart from 3 nights when it was cold - consumption worked out at 9.7 units/day which was fine as 10 units/day was included in the site fee. Excess units would have been 29p

Reactions: Dustydog
Aug 14, 2019
Visit site
We've just had 14 nights on a metered pitch in Northumberland - kept the Alde heating switched off during the day while we were out and off at night when we were in bed - apart from 3 nights when it was cold - consumption worked out at 9.7 units/day which was fine as 10 units/day was included in the site fee. Excess units would have been 29p
Thanks, that’s pretty close to what we used except we never had our internal heating on (Alde) just the water.

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
We are averaging just over 5kWh a day according to the meter I have on board.
That's with Fridge, water heating only when needed at 2kW setting, TV and hairdryer🤔
Sadly it also records usage every hour, can't post that as it's a PDF 😟

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230817-121358.png
    Screenshot_20230817-121358.png
    119.3 KB · Views: 7
Aug 14, 2019
Visit site
We are averaging just over 5kWh a day according to the meter I have on board.
That's with Fridge, water heating only when needed at 2kW setting, TV and hairdryer🤔
Sadly it also records usage every hour, can't post that as it's a PDF 😟
What (watt) meter is it & how does it attach?

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
Its This Sonoff 20amp meter/switch, din rail mounted it has a display but since I mounted it in the consumer unit I just use the app/web interface. I can read it from anywhere provided my caravan wifi is on.
I just slid the mcbs/rcd along cut a longer slot in the faceplate and fitted blanks to cover the meter.
Power now comes in through it and to the rcd.
I use a similar item to control my immersion heater at home

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-08-17-21-32-31-703.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-08-17-21-32-31-703.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 5

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts