Eurotunnel to France

MAM

Aug 16, 2006
Visit site
Hello there.

Has anyone taken a late night eurotunnel crossing to France? The cost for a 22:00 crossing is about half of a day time crossing.

Anyone with experience of the facilities on the French side - i.e. - anywhere to stop for a few hours before movng on?

Thanks.

G

I have used Eurotunnel a number of times, albeit during the day. Normally one is directed straight out of the complex on the French side to the motorway, so unless you return through the 'in' door and possibly park in the departures area, I suspect you will have to find another stopping point. It may be possible to get a site that has a 'late arrivals' area that would suffice. However, I suspect it is one of the 'downsides' of the cheaper night trips.

G

I avoid using the tunnel but have used it a few times when forced. You will find yourself out on to the A16 if you miss the Shopping area and with Caravan that is probably best.

Just a short way f heading south towards Boulogne on the A16 you will go up a long hill and at the top is Aire Des Deux Caps 24 hour manned service station with large truck stop and caravan and motorhome parking to the far right if you want a bit of a break.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I avoid using the tunnel but have used it a few times when forced. You will find yourself out on to the A16 if you miss the Shopping area and with Caravan that is probably best.

Just a short way f heading south towards Boulogne on the A16 you will go up a long hill and at the top is Aire Des Deux Caps 24 hour manned service station with large truck stop and caravan and motorhome parking to the far right if you want a bit of a break.
Why do you avoid it?

David

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mam

There is nowhere in the Tunnel complex. Some people head back to the ferry Port and use the car park there. Did an overnight crossing once, never again!

David

Aug 30, 2006
Visit site
Hello Mam.

We always go over to France through the tunnel as its so quick ( 35 minutes ) nor is it affected by the weather. Also, as is intimated by the comment made by 'euro', because you clear the French Customs immediately before driving onto the train - within minutes of the train coming to rest, you are out of the terminal and onto the motorway system.

As far as timing is concerned, dependant upon the price being charged, like you we opt to leave the UK around 10.00pm which puts us onto the motorway system at about 40 minutes later which, when you have put your watch forward by one hour to account for local time, means that you are then on clear roads and can have a traffic-free run for as long as you feel comfortable.

Though the idea may not suite everyone ( and dependant upon the distance / time involved in your journey to the terminal at Folkestone ), if you are lucky enough to be able to drive through the night without tiredness becoming a danger, like us you could make Annecy for mid-morning coffee as the first stop of your holiday.

Olly.

G

Apart from finding the tunnel claustrophobic we always seem to have a 2 hour plus drive to the tunnel and than a long drive the other side.

The tunnel gives you no real break from driving and the facilities are basic.

The ferry gives you a break and time to eat etc , after having a puncture on route to Dover there was no problem using a shower on the ferry either.

My wife waited all the way across once for a free toilet on the train and was none to pleased.

I appreciate full checks at borders but have found the British customs/immigration people at the tunnel the rudest I've ever encountered and twice when positioning the Car and van rig to allow others to pass into a lane I've had abuse from the shuttle staff thinking I'm not stopping and going to queue jump. Fat chance with an over 12 metre rig, the staff can't see from the front of the lanes how long the rig is so just go off on one if you leave room for other motorists to pass. I guess it must be due to the busy terminal and all the comings and goings.

I also fancy my chance more as a swimmer than as a mole should there be a nasty.

I avoid it unless pushed into it. Long live the ferries.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
MAM,

If you were planning to head into Belgium - for the toll free route into Germany / Switzerland / Italy or heading North into Holland - then there is a new motorway service station in Belgium almost exactly 20 miles past the French / Belgium border.

This has angled fuel pumps, with wide bays, so it's very caravan friendly for fuel, and well laid out parking places.

Eurotunnel vs. Ferries - fast and good on-land facilities but restricted on-train services vs. leisurely travel and an opportunity to relax, but restricted port services.

Robert

Jul 31, 2006
Visit site
MAM,

As SWMBO doesn't do boats, I have to use the tunnel & always take the late night crossing.

As Olivier says, once you get off the other side, you get a clear run with hardly any traffic, whichever way your heading.

I usually drive untill I start feeling tired then stop at an Aire & get my head down for a few hours before going on.

Whist I agree that you don't get a decent break as you would with the ferries, this is ofset by the time saved.

Unlike Euro, I personally have never experienced rudeness by any of the staff at Eurotunell, in fact quite the opposite.

As for waiting to use the loo on the train, why bother with it, apart from the fact that they're at either end of the train, and it's a long hike through the carriages if you're in the middle, you have a perfectly good one in your caravan or motor home!

All I can say, athough I'd prefer to use a ferry (cost saving of usually

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are thinking of using the tunnel in May/June next year as it will be a lot easier for my wife (Parkinsons) as she will be able to stay in the car and avoid getting on/off a ferry

We used it several times a few years ago and the only drawback for us was being shunted to one side for gas bottle checks and then having to get back into the queue of "lemmings" all rushing for the shuttle that we were all going to leave on !!

It was even worse getting back in travelling with another outfit as nobody wants 2 caravans in front of them!

Do they still have the same system?

MAM

Aug 16, 2006
Visit site
I'm planning to go to Euro Disney at Easter and I'm thinking of taking the tunnel, late evening on Good Friday. The last time I drove from the tunnel to Paris, it took me around 3 hours but that was without a caravan, I imagine that it could take me double that whilst towing. This would have me arriving in the early hours of the morning so a quick 3 hours sleep in a layby should see me through.

Aug 30, 2006
Visit site
I suppose that the journey with the van will take you slightly longer than the car but don't forget that there are no speed restrictions on towing in France and so, dependant upon your caravan / car combination, ith shouldn't make much difference.

Olly.

ed1

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
I'm planning to go to Euro Disney at Easter and I'm thinking of taking the tunnel, late evening on Good Friday. The last time I drove from the tunnel to Paris, it took me around 3 hours but that was without a caravan, I imagine that it could take me double that whilst towing. This would have me arriving in the early hours of the morning so a quick 3 hours sleep in a layby should see me through.
hello...just a quick question...are you taking your caravan to disney,,,and where are you staying...as we go to disney quite a lot but never with the van but will be doing as of next year after just picking up our new van.....thankyou

MAM

Aug 16, 2006
Visit site
hello...just a quick question...are you taking your caravan to disney,,,and where are you staying...as we go to disney quite a lot but never with the van but will be doing as of next year after just picking up our new van.....thankyou
Hi Edwina,

I'm looking for a site right now. I've had a recommendation from another thread that I'm searching back for - alternatively, I've found Camping Site Village Parisien and Le Parc de la Colline - both promise to be near Disney

TRENDING THREADS