Extra electricity in the van

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I go abroad a lot and many sites only have 6/10amps. Out of season there are lots of empty pitches and the site owners are happy if I use two hook ups, some charge extra some don't. At the moment I use a separate lead into the van for the extras' I don't then have to turn things off and on if I use the kettle, central heating etc. Is there a way you can join the two inputs through the vans control box, or is it just a case of having to keep using the extension lead?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would be very careful with this as it may be possible that the 2 hook up cables you are using maybe on different phases. therefore giving 400volts between the 2 leads. Just stick to 1 lead. from an Electrical engineer with 40 years experience.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Cannot see why 6A is a problem. It just means being wise as to what takes what power so as not to be too greedy. Fridge, battery charging, and TV can essentially be ignored, so it means one item at once, be that water heating, room heating, or kettle.

If the limit is 10 amp then two items can be used at the same time. Doesn't strain the little grey cells too much really.

It sometimes pays to have a look at the breakers in the post if accessible and if there is more than one socket. We sometimes stay on a site in Normandy where they tell you the limit is 6A, but each box has six outlets and six breakers rated 16A. If six people can use 6A then the supply must be rated at 36A or higher, so if there are only one or two users they can each pull 16A with impunity, if three users then 10A each etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts