F.A.O Taff(Old Oaks Glastonbury).

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi Taff.

Arrived here today and it a fantastic site.

Staff cannot do enough for you.

So quiet you can here a pin drop.

Lots of caravanners here have dogs but apart from the odd bark,you wouldnt know they had them.

Toilets/showers etc.. spotless with unlimited free hot water.

Weve reserved a daily paper and a hot loaf of bread evey morning.

we came down the M5 and followed the route past Street and turned left after the footbridge by the school.

After turning left,the last mile to the site is a little narrow so go careful.

If you look on their website there is a map of the site and we are up in "Top Oaks".

Oh..a good carp lake too.

Pitches are hardstanding so you will need some decent pegs and a good hammer.

Plenty of room on the pitch and lovely views over the countryside.

The whole site is very well landscaped with well manicured lawns.

there is a well stocked shop here for basic groceries,or theres a Morrisons about 3 miles away

Must be the best site ive stayed on so im sure you will have a lovely time here Taff.

Hope this helps.

Adrian

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Adrian

Thank you ever so much for the feedback on the site. I am really looking forward to our stay. I am aware of the narrow road as I have been on Google street maps which I find really useful.

I realise you may not be a fisherman but should I bring the carp gear or normal coarse fishing gear. I have the margin pole and feeder rod packed but I could always change these for my carp rods. Nothing like sitting back watching the world go by waiting for the buzzers to go off.

Thank you once again. Any further tips much appreciated.

Enjoy your stay.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Havent been fishing for a few years now Taff(used to be a bit of a carp man myself).

The owners said that the biggest landed so far was 15lb.

We did have a walk around the lake this morning and noticed that almost everyone fishing was using a bubble float with dog biscuits,bread etc on the surface.

About the biggest we seen caught must have been about 3-4 lb.

There are a few big areas of lily pads there with an overhanging tree near the island so i suppose a pole would be handy.

The sessions are

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
We are regular users of this lovely site. We always take the route via the A39 (if you're coming from the Street direction) if you keep following the A39 follow the signs for West Mendip hospital, when you come to the last roundabout the first exit is in the direction of Wells and the second is towards the hospital - head in this direction and then take the left hand turning marked "Wick & Brindham". It's a very quiet country road and quite wide in places and have never had any problems meeting traffic.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi Trucker.Im Adrian by the way(george,georgina is the wife)

Yes its a great site and im sure that Taff will give some more tips/advice after his trip.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi Adrian

Thanks for the update. Cannot wait. I have been up to the storage site this evening and washed the van, checked nose weight and tyres ready for the off.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Hi Chelsea

Thank you for the directions. I did intend coming in from the other end of Wick Lane as it looks shorter. Is this a bad idea as the lane looks narrow which ever way you use.

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
Hi Adrian

Thanks for the update. Cannot wait. I have been up to the storage site this evening and washed the van, checked nose weight and tyres ready for the off.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Hi Chelsea

Thank you for the directions. I did intend coming in from the other end of Wick Lane as it looks shorter. Is this a bad idea as the lane looks narrow which ever way you use.
We've always used the lane by the hospital so cannot comment on coming from the other direction. The lane has a few bends but has a reasonable view of what is coming - we've visited this site several times a year for the past 4 years and have never encountered a situation where we needed to reverse or pull in for traffic. You will be fine, have a good time!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts