Fault with Thetford N series fridge

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Since new last August it has become progressively more difficult to select different fuels on this fridge. Following the instructions carefully the fuel source lights do not flash as the book says they should, but I did manage to select mains electricity and get the fridge working on mains shortly after arrival on site Spain early January.
However, now find fridge is not cooling at all. There is, however, warm air from the top outside vent suggesting that the heating element is still working. Cannot try fridge on gas as unable to select. Vanes under fridge compartment are bare clean and dry.
Any suggestions please, currentl I have disconnected all supplies for some hours and will try a restart from scratch.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Ray, our Thetford N series (electronic control)2013, in Coachman 560. would run ok on Electric and whilst hooked up to the car, but failed to start on gas, had to get a bloke in to replace circuit boards at the back of the fridge, but as it now comes as a "Repair" kit the front panel was also replaced.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Happily Iv'e got it working again althugh still not able to select other fuels.
I pulled the 20 amp 12v supply fus and turned off ac at beraker. Left for an hour and it restarded and cooled as it should. This should get us home.
The control circuits obviously need attention and Thetford has promised replacement components.
Did you get it fixed at home or at the dealer ? If at home was it a Thetford man of mobile AWS .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Another related question. We use the fridge on the 4 light setting as Thetford do not recommend 5 excpt exceptionally. We find this only just keeps ice cream hard, even when placed directly on the floor of the freezer. The fridge is on the shaded north side of the caravan with shade temperatures up to 22C sort term but usually with light breeze and good circulation.
Is this normal, or should we expect a colder result on this setting. We have tried the 5 setting for short periods but it did not seem to make any difference.
Appreciate this is a bit unscientific but actual measurements will have to wait until back at home when warrenty work on control panel will be done. If this performance does appear below par, then I may 'suggest' the complete fridge is replaced

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
RayS said:
Happily Iv'e got it working again althugh still not able to select other fuels.
I pulled the 20 amp 12v supply fus and turned off ac at beraker. Left for an hour and it restarded and cooled as it should. This should get us home.
The control circuits obviously need attention and Thetford has promised replacement components.
Did you get it fixed at home or at the dealer ? If at home was it a Thetford man of mobile AWS .

It was my local Mobile service man , he looked at it in storage then ordered the parts, and as we were going away a few days after repair he done it at home. Took about 1 1/2 hours, and cost about £175. New rear control circuit board and front control panel , all as repair kit.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We run ours on about 3 or 4 , otherwise the salad freezes, but beer nice and cold, and this has been fine even at a 6 week trip to South of France at 30 to 38c.
Oh and new fridge about £1000 plus fitting. Ouch. But if under warranty.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts