Fiamma Zip Awning v Privacy Room

Mar 30, 2006
Visit site
Hi folks,

We are considering changing our porch awning for a Fiamma Canopy/Zip Awning/Privacy Room. The whole thing seems so versatile even if it is a bit expensive.

The Zip is quite a bit more expensive than the Privacy Room, and the only difference I can see is the system of connecting the sides to the canopy . . . . either a zip system or a clip/clamp system.

Thinking about it, the clip on system seems to me to be a more waterproof way of doing it, but then there is more kit involved.

Can anyone advise me on the best system and why it is so please?

Are there any major drawbacks or problems with either system ?

We have a Swift Challenger 540, and we are considering the 4.1 size for maximum benefit, but after measuring it a number of times, I think it will be a bit close for the size because of the slope of the roofline in front and above the door, but I believe it will fit ok.

Does anyone else have a 410 on this size of van please ??

We are watching Ebay etc for a good used one at a reasonable price, but so far have not taken the plunge.

HELP !!

Kind regards

James

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
We have the Zip, we find it very easy to erect/dismantle, and totally waterproof. I have seen the clip/clamp type, but they look awkward to use to me.

Have you considered the weight of the roof part when you want to roll it up? We have the 3.6m one and find it heavy enough. If getting a second hand one try to get a recent model as they roll up "overhand", which is much easier to do than the earlier ones that roll up "underhand".

As to size, only you can figure out whether it will fit the curves, will your chosen size also clear all windows and lockers?

We have the 3.6 on a Sterling Searcher (big twin axle) and find it a good size.

Mar 30, 2006
Visit site
We have the Zip, we find it very easy to erect/dismantle, and totally waterproof. I have seen the clip/clamp type, but they look awkward to use to me.

Have you considered the weight of the roof part when you want to roll it up? We have the 3.6m one and find it heavy enough. If getting a second hand one try to get a recent model as they roll up "overhand", which is much easier to do than the earlier ones that roll up "underhand".

As to size, only you can figure out whether it will fit the curves, will your chosen size also clear all windows and lockers?

We have the 3.6 on a Sterling Searcher (big twin axle) and find it a good size.
Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for your reply.

I have had my tape measure on the side of the van so many times, I am demented. I was thinking the same as you about the weight, and the 3.6 seemed a good option.

We have a Swift Challenger 540, so the door is just to the rear of the lounge window. I measured from the rear edge of the window, and 3.6m lands dead centre of the bedroom window, so which ever way we move it, it decends on a window. The 4.1m goes from the same place at the front to well clear behind the bedroom window, so that is the reason I am opting for that size. A smaller version than tghe 3.6 would be just too small for us.

As for the issue of the curve at the front, I am nearly convinced that the bag/roller will be tolerant enough to take it. I saw an ad for a 4.1m full set zip awning on ebay recently, and asked the chap what van it was on, and it it was a Sterling of the same dimensions as our Challenger, so that has given me new confidence.

You have a very valid point about the roof/canopy which is the most important element of the awning really. I think we will take the plunge and purchase a new one, and look for a second hand set of walls etc which is probably the best of both worlds.

I was unaware of the issue of the roll up technique though and take your point about how easy or difficult it would be, thank you.

So all we need to do now really is to find a set of 4.1m walls for the zip awning. I assume it is possible to purchase the roof with the zip facility on its own ??

Thank you again Jennifer.

James

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for your reply.

I have had my tape measure on the side of the van so many times, I am demented. I was thinking the same as you about the weight, and the 3.6 seemed a good option.

We have a Swift Challenger 540, so the door is just to the rear of the lounge window. I measured from the rear edge of the window, and 3.6m lands dead centre of the bedroom window, so which ever way we move it, it decends on a window. The 4.1m goes from the same place at the front to well clear behind the bedroom window, so that is the reason I am opting for that size. A smaller version than tghe 3.6 would be just too small for us.

As for the issue of the curve at the front, I am nearly convinced that the bag/roller will be tolerant enough to take it. I saw an ad for a 4.1m full set zip awning on ebay recently, and asked the chap what van it was on, and it it was a Sterling of the same dimensions as our Challenger, so that has given me new confidence.

You have a very valid point about the roof/canopy which is the most important element of the awning really. I think we will take the plunge and purchase a new one, and look for a second hand set of walls etc which is probably the best of both worlds.

I was unaware of the issue of the roll up technique though and take your point about how easy or difficult it would be, thank you.

So all we need to do now really is to find a set of 4.1m walls for the zip awning. I assume it is possible to purchase the roof with the zip facility on its own ??

Thank you again Jennifer.

James
I am sure you will be able to buy the sides seperatley but will probably work out more expensive.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts