Finding correct tyres

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
So all you need worry about now is where the fitter positions the jack when the wheels are sorted. And maybe the torque used!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our Buccaneer had Ovation tyres fitted from new, they were C rated. I replaced the tyres on my Buccaneer back end of last year with Lassa tyres which are C rated. Not a bad price, but hopefully better quality then the Ovations.
Why are Lassa likely to be better quality than Ovation?

Reactions: Buckman
Jun 16, 2023
Visit site
I think the required tyre specs mean to unlikely be found in a consumer services designed for passenger car.
Think about a car with R14 and 2.4 tonnes max weight?
R14: Fiat Punto, Ford Fiesta & Ka, Hyundi i10, Kia Picanto, Nissan Micra - all of these I think around 1.5 tonnes max?

I guess LCV tires is the way to go

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Our Buccaneer had Ovation tyres fitted from new, they were C rated. I replaced the tyres on my Buccaneer back end of last year with Lassa tyres which are C rated. Not a bad price, but hopefully better quality then the Ovations.
I'm intrigued, in what ways were the tyres you had poor quality? What criteria makes the new tyres better?

May 18, 2006
Visit site
I'm intrigued, in what ways were the tyres you had poor quality? What criteria makes the new tyres better?
Ovation tyres do not do well in tyre tests, generally not performing in the various tests. The Lassa tyres do much better in the tests, so I think they must be better quality, or is that not right? I did not state that the Ovation tyres were poor quality, just that I think the Lassa must be of better quality to out perform the Ovation. If one tyre out performs another then surely the higher prtformer must be of better quality, or is that not correct?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ovation tyres do not do well in tyre tests, generally not performing in the various tests. The Lassa tyres do much better in the tests, so I think they must be better quality, or is that not right? I did not state that the Ovation tyres were poor quality, just that I think the Lassa must be of better quality to out perform the Ovation. If one tyre out performs another then surely the higher prtformer must be of better quality, or is that not correct?
How relevant are the tests to usage on a caravan compared to a car where performance can be more critical. Could you give a link to the website where the tests were carried out.

May 18, 2006
Visit site
How relevant are the tests to usage on a caravan compared to a car where performance can be more critical. Could you give a link to the website where the tests were carried out.

Just a couple of test sites I found quickly.

Why do you have a problem with me thinking Lassa tyres are better quality than Ovation?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

Just a couple of test sites I found quickly.

Why do you have a problem with me thinking Lassa tyres are better quality than Ovation?
When I looked at some German tyre testing sites Ovation had better performance than Lassa. But of course these are specific to the tyre models tested for comparison. They don’t rate quality which is quite different to performance. But thanks for the links.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Where are we going with this?
I‘m getting confused🤔
My Wyoming tyres specified in the Manual are 185/65 R 14 L 193 N.
I quote from the hand book.
Help if I have got this wrong🥴
185 width profile
/65 aspect ratio
R 14 diameter of rim
L Speed ratio? Slightly baffled on this one.
193 load index
N speed 87 mph

Buckman’s unit is a beast , heavier than my TA, so much so I am now puzzled why the tyre sizes are slightly smaller. I think some of his numbers are missing?
on my own not sure exactly what the L. 193 N means. It’s the L that puzzles me.
And all this before I have tried a tyre for sale web site.
Looks like the tongue and fingers will have to do the walking😉

Jun 16, 2023
Visit site
Could it be LT 93 (as opposed to L 193)? LT is Light Truck in US parlance, equivalent to the C we use.
chatgpt agrees with such interpretation:

LT: "LT" stands for Light Truck, a designation used primarily in the US to indicate tyres designed for vehicles capable of carrying heavy loads or for towing, such as trucks, SUVs, and caravans. In the UK and Europe, similar tyres might be marked with "C" for Commercial to denote their suitability for heavier loads than typical passenger tyres.

93: This is the load index, a numerical code that indicates the maximum weight the tyre can support when fully inflated. A load index of 93 corresponds to a maximum load of approximately 650 kg (about 1433 pounds) per tyre. This capacity is crucial for caravan tyres, which need to support the weight of the caravan and its contents.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It was an Ovation tyre on a previous caravan that blew up on us while parked on a site. Any thing has to be better than those tyres.

At 11 months they were showing cracking on the outside and this was in 2017. I think the age of the tyre at that point was about 2 years. Obviously in storage for several or more months!

Jul 12, 2023
Visit site
Ovations are popular with the trade I think as not only are they cheap but they are also very light. I removed some from a set of wheels and while I didn't weigh them I swear the tyres going on were as heavy for 1 as a pair of ovations.

Sep 2, 2023
Visit site
Being pushed for time I havn't had time to read every thread above so you may have received all the info you require. However FYI, only last week I changed both tyres on my Swift Challenger 480. I simply jacked up the van removed both wheels and left it on axle stands and a trolley jack while I took both wheels to Worcester Tyres (next to Jim Streffords). Importantly in addition to the full size printed on the tyre wall they also noted many other alpha / numerical codes that I wouldn't haven't even looked at. Its amazing how much data is on a tyre wall when you examine it properly and you need to use all the data to get an exact match. Anyway the long and short is that both tyres suppled and fitted for £160 and refitted sameday. I did consider using our resident AWS on site man but that probably would have been £260 and to be fair its a pretty straight forward job if you take your time.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Being pushed for time I havn't had time to read every thread above so you may have received all the info you require. However FYI, only last week I changed both tyres on my Swift Challenger 480. I simply jacked up the van removed both wheels and left it on axle stands and a trolley jack while I took both wheels to Worcester Tyres (next to Jim Streffords). Importantly in addition to the full size printed on the tyre wall they also noted many other alpha / numerical codes that I wouldn't haven't even looked at. Its amazing how much data is on a tyre wall when you examine it properly and you need to use all the data to get an exact match. Anyway the long and short is that both tyres suppled and fitted for £160 and refitted sameday. I did consider using our resident AWS on site man but that probably would have been £260 and to be fair its a pretty straight forward job if you take your time.
Some of the data relates to requirements in other countries and isn’t required to find a suitable replacement tyre for a car or caravan. The key ones are tyre size, speed rating and Load Index.

Reactions: RogerL and Banus
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We are using Protyres on the A44 as they have a large car park for the caravan however we have a twin axle. Balancing, disposal etc all included in the price. I am guessing that you use the same storage location as us?

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2023
Visit site
Yep, good ole Ridgeway. Serves us well. Having said that some of the stones on the roadways have razor sharp edges and could do with compacting down. I did consider going to that tyre place further up on the A44 on the right bend under the railway bridge as they have a huge frontage and ideal for pulling in with a van but in the end decided to have a go myself. Good job I did as that tyre supplier is now a We Buy Any Car dealership although on Google maps its still A44 Tyre shop!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yep, good ole Ridgeway. Serves us well. Having said that some of the stones on the roadways have razor sharp edges and could do with compacting down. I did consider going to that tyre place further up on the A44 on the right bend under the railway bridge as they have a huge frontage and ideal for pulling in with a van but in the end decided to have a go myself. Good job I did as that tyre supplier is now a We Buy Any Car dealership although on Google maps its still A44 Tyre shop!
Still is the A44 Tyre place as went past there only last week and address is still the same. "We buy any car" is a separate office on the end at right hand side?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We are using Protyres on the A44 as they have a large car park for the caravan however we have a twin axle. Balancing, disposal etc all included in the price. I am guessing that you use the same storage location as us?
I’ve used Protyre locally and in Penrith en route to Scotland. Always found them very professional, and excellent too for aircon refresh and four wheel alignment. Although I do tend to buy the tyres via. Blackcircles and have them delivered to Protyre for fitting.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
May I ask why you haven’t used a moblile firm who come to home or site? I use a local firm Save on Tyres , competitive, supply any tyre you want and fully fitted and balanced.

Reactions: RogerL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
May I ask why you haven’t used a moblile firm who come to home or site? I use a local firm Save on Tyres , competitive, supply any tyre you want and fully fitted and balanced.
I have never had a mobile person arrive at the appointed time and sometimes they can be a lot later than usual. Anyway as I have to go to the storage area anyway and pull the caravan out. At that point I might as well tow it to the fitter who are only a couple of miles away.

Reactions: Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts