first time

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to view a Carlight Casalette 1975 classic caravan 2 berth. I am completely new to caravanning. What should I look out for - especially in terms of rust or other potentially expensive repairs? Any advice greatly appreciated

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi, E H S welcome to the forum.
Carlights were the considered to be the Rolls Royce of caravans in their day and a good example in great condition can still command a very good price from enthusiasts.

First of all satisfy yourself that the vendor has the right to sell the caravan so make sure that you go to the vendors house. Check that the brakes and hitch are working and ask how long the tyres have been on the caravan. There might be plenty of tread but tyre sidewalls degrade after about five years exposure to UV light so beware of blowouts.

Check the road lights and look inside the lenses for signs of water ingress and note the condition and soundness of any exterior trim.
Check that the awning rails are not loose, check the mastic in the joints for signs of algae, dryness or cracking because this is the commonest cause of water ingress. Look along the body panels into the light for dents or signs of repairs.

Check the operation of the caravan door and the locking mechanism, and that the windows and rooflights are sound and show no signs of damp in the surrounding areas, especially the raised part of the roof with the small glass rooflights (windows) along the sides.

Check that the cooker, the water tap (which might be operated via a rubber foot pump) and heater work and any electrics if they are fitted. Damp is the main thing to watch out for on older caravans, check under bed boxes, in the corners front and back and inside the cupboards for spongy wall boards especially on the side where the awning is likely to have pulled the awning rail to allow water ingress. Have a look at the roof panels for mildew or signs of sagging and behind curtains, gently pull down window rubber surrounds for signs of black damp.

Ask the vendor outright if the caravan is damp, if the caravan is advertised as being free from damp then you could have redress if this claim turns out to be inaccurate.

A springy creaky floor is a sign of delamination where the ply has separated, it's repairable as a diy job for a reasonably competent person so factor in about £70 for materials.

Classic caravans are often bought as restoration projects by enthusiasts, if you feel that you are competent to takle any work and have the space to do it preferably under cover then go for it, a mid 70s Carlight in good condition should fetch around £1500+, I've seen one very recently which is currently £400 and for a good diy enthusiast this could be a bargain.

Incidentally Carlight undertake complete restorations of their classic caravans at the factory but you'd have to sell your family into slavery to be able to afford it
smiley-laughing.gif

There are other less expensive repairers who will tackle restoraton work and the Carlight Owners Club is still active I believe and I'm sure that they would be able to offer advice.

Good Luck, let us know how you get on.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
If it is the same caravan the seller has admitted that there is damp present in the front corners and at the back in the toilet.
For around £400 and some time and effort I don't think that you can go wrong really, you could always re-sell it to another enthusiast.
For advice on buying and restoring classic caravans have a look Here
Keep quiet about that caravan though until you have completed, you don't want to do anything that would force the price up
smiley-wink.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts