Freelander 2

Feb 18, 2006
Visit site
Hi all, has anyone got the new freelander,i was wondering what they were like for towing and what the fuel consumption was, i have had a look on the landrover website about fuel consumption but would like to hear from someone that has actually got the vehicle, thanks in advance for any info.

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
If it's any help to you, the September issue of Practical Caravan magazine has done a tow test report of the Freelander 2 on page 122.

We've driven the Freelander 2, while our Freelander TD4 was in for a service and it's certainly got some ooomph!

Sep 23, 2006
Visit site
Anthony&Sharon,

I have had a FL2 diesel for 6 months now. Definately the best vehicle I have ever owned, I haven't towed with it for a while but when I last did (and the engine was still a bit tight) I think it was doing about 25mpg with a 1500kg van, and at the time it was only doing just over 30mpg solo. Now that it has loosened up (and had a software upgrade) mpg solo has improved to about 35 solo, so when I tow in 12 days and counting, I hope it will return the best part of 30 mpg with the van on the back.I cant praise this car enough for its towing ability, there is so much torque it pulls like a train and has excellent road manners as well.

Feb 18, 2006
Visit site
Anthony&Sharon,

I have had a FL2 diesel for 6 months now. Definately the best vehicle I have ever owned, I haven't towed with it for a while but when I last did (and the engine was still a bit tight) I think it was doing about 25mpg with a 1500kg van, and at the time it was only doing just over 30mpg solo. Now that it has loosened up (and had a software upgrade) mpg solo has improved to about 35 solo, so when I tow in 12 days and counting, I hope it will return the best part of 30 mpg with the van on the back.I cant praise this car enough for its towing ability, there is so much torque it pulls like a train and has excellent road manners as well.
hi john thanks for the info ,could you tell me what the nose weight of the FL2 is. thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Anthony&Sharon,

I have a FL2 TD4, and I agree with John. It's a joy to drive and tows superbly. It has a max towball weight of 150kg, and towing with 100kg on the hitch (my van's max) the outfit is rock solid. I got high 20's with the van on the back (with a tight engine), it has loosened up now and I expect this to improve - which has happened solo.

Sep 16, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

I have a FreeLander 2 which now has approx 7k on the clock, I average 35 mpg solo (mainly 65% town driving and 35% motorway)but when towing my 1324kg van, I am getting around the 30 mpg mark

Again best car that I have ever owned, just hope the reliability is there to back it up.

Sep 23, 2006
Visit site
Anthony & Sharon,

The Freelander can take a noseweight of up to 150kg, the same as a discovery.

Last time I hitched up, the van had a noseweight of just over 90kg, and the car didn't even move when I wound up the jockey wheel.

John.

Feb 18, 2006
Visit site
Anthony & Sharon,

The Freelander can take a noseweight of up to 150kg, the same as a discovery.

Last time I hitched up, the van had a noseweight of just over 90kg, and the car didn't even move when I wound up the jockey wheel.

John.
hi john, thanks for the info we shall be having a FL2 for the weekend in september ,many thanks , Anthony & Sharon

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Looks a nice vehicle if you don't mind paying the "carbon offset tax" which LR now include in the list price - but as if it is an option. This is supposed to fund some projects aimed at pmaking the plantet greener. If LR want to do this out of thier profits - then fine, let thme do so, but I don't think they should try to pass the guilt trip to the customer.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ok you Freelander 2 owners can you tell me if the vehicle is powerful enough to pull 6th gear when towing.?

I have had a Solo drive and find the overall gearing to be very high and suspect that 50 mph in 6th gear is well below the torque curve of this motor

Sep 23, 2006
Visit site
Yes, 6th gear is very high, but I found when towing that at about 55 it was fine, and that was when the engine was still a bit tight. I am now finding as it has got some miles under the wheels that 6th is more usable at the 50 mph mark than it was.

Sep 16, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

I find that on the Freelander 2, 6th gear is great when solo above 60 mph and you just want to cruse down the motorway, but when towing I would only go up to 5th gear - you just seem to get that better fuel economy and that little more power on demand quicker, but then I also found out that my old Honda CRV 2.2 diesel towed better in 5th despite having a 6 speed gearbox

Oct 10, 2006
Visit site
Looks a nice vehicle if you don't mind paying the "carbon offset tax" which LR now include in the list price - but as if it is an option. This is supposed to fund some projects aimed at pmaking the plantet greener. If LR want to do this out of thier profits - then fine, let thme do so, but I don't think they should try to pass the guilt trip to the customer.
Don't see any of the other so called "gas-guzzler" manufacturers trying to do something. In any case, it's about freedom of choice and us all having a responsibility to do our bit for the planet. Do you object to the bit of your council tax used for funding recycling?

Sep 16, 2006
Visit site
Update from my entry on 17/07007

Handed the car back today - after five trips in the garage and the last one, since 13/08 til date (hence why they have brought the car back) Had to had the following done in the last week to try and solve the recent problems:

1) Replace lower suspensions arms on both front wheels - due to excessive corrosion!!

2) Replace delaer fit tow bar - due to excessive corrosion

3) Replace Dashboard - due to display faults

4) Replace gear box linkages - due to the cables seizing up (dry rubber noise and difficulty getting into 1st & 3rd gears)

5) Format and reprogramme cars computer(s) - due to various software faults, non starting etc

Had to get a chap down from LR Head Office to wotk on the car for two days before they offered to but the car back

Despite my previous comments, would now think twice about this car evwn if I was given one for free

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Update from my entry on 17/07007

Handed the car back today - after five trips in the garage and the last one, since 13/08 til date (hence why they have brought the car back) Had to had the following done in the last week to try and solve the recent problems:

1) Replace lower suspensions arms on both front wheels - due to excessive corrosion!!

2) Replace delaer fit tow bar - due to excessive corrosion

3) Replace Dashboard - due to display faults

4) Replace gear box linkages - due to the cables seizing up (dry rubber noise and difficulty getting into 1st & 3rd gears)

5) Format and reprogramme cars computer(s) - due to various software faults, non starting etc

Had to get a chap down from LR Head Office to wotk on the car for two days before they offered to but the car back

Despite my previous comments, would now think twice about this car evwn if I was given one for free
Hmm, William All normal Freelander faults then? Landrover normaly take about 3 years to get it right.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts