fridge or car electrics

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Connecting fridge to car with ignition off and the fridge rightly shows fault 10 with spanner. Start the engine and the fault sign disapears BUT
The fridge is clicking and continues to do so is this normal as I can't recall hearing it on my last tow car. As you may know just changed tow car. Also checked all the wiring in the 13 pin socket as that was 7 pin 12s and 12ñ . had to rewire most of them as the bodgers from the garage had a couple of strands connected In most of them and the white and black earth wires were in the opposite pins

OOpps sorry wrong section, did this on phone as cant get on on laptop!!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The problem is the setting of the car relay, it is cutting in and out as the fridge draws power.
There is usually an adjusting screw on the relay and it needs setting to cut out at a lower voltage than it is set to now.
What is happening is when the engine is running with no fridge load on, there is around 14v at the pins.
Switch the fridge on and it takes 8 amps and the voltage drops to below the normal operating voltage of 14v and cuts out, the voltage rises again, the fridge cuts in,,,,,,and out,,,,,,and in and out,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Damien, (back on laptop now)
Do you know where this the relay will be as i tried to trace the wires back under the car and it disappears above the fuel tank and under the back seats somewhere, couldn't find the feed near the battery as I was trying to find the fuse in case it was that, last car had fuse next to battery.

On another note if any one can help the audible buzzer for indicators is very faint , hear it when car is stationary but not when revving/driving, any suggestions?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Kev

On ours I think the relay is under one of the covers next to the battery,it is pouring down outside but I will go and have a look in the morning,our electrics were fitted when we had the towball fitted and we changed to 13 pin a couple of years ago by wiring the grey and black cables in to one plug

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
woodsieboy said:
Hi Kev

On ours I think the relay is under one of the covers next to the battery,it is pouring down outside but I will go and have a look in the morning,our electrics were fitted when we had the towball fitted and we changed to 13 pin a couple of years ago by wiring the grey and black cables in to one plug

Many thanks Woodsieboy.

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi Gagakev. Recently had new towbar fitted with electrics. Same problem with the audible signal, which I couldn't hear in the driving seat and which was driving the dog mad in her cage at the back. Resolved by getting the installer to relocate the beeper in the door pillar against beside my head.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Kev

Just looked at ours and the grey cable runs to the front of the car in the engine bay,then looks as if the relay is about 3'' long and 3/4 '' wide with connections to the battery earth on one side and fused feed on the other, it is fitted next to a back box marked fusible link, ref the bleeper ours is loud enough to hear at most speeds perhaps yours needs moving or is covered by insulation etc. hope this is of use.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Thanks again Woodsieboy, will have another good look tonight but I am pretty positive there are no extra cables connected to the battery as that was what I was looking for yesterday. So dont really know at this stage how it is even being powered :unsure:
May have to take the rear carpets up anyway to get to the bleeper so will see if I can trace any thing from there.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Had a good look again tonight to no avail.
Can see the fuselink box but thats about it,
Took the back lights off, lifted carpets around back seat area, and crawled around under neath

Booking it in to Western towing attachments tomorrow, spoke to them today and if they find it they will try and adjust if not a new one for £30.00 fitted. If new heavier duty cable required total of £80.00.
Also spoke to garage where I bought the car from and they will do it under warranty but 2.5 hour return journey plus fuel!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts