Fuel Prices

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
O.K,

Let's stop going around the bushes and do somthing about it. I have not used Esso,B.P,Texaco and Shell for some time without detrement to my vehicle.I use the supermarkets. The more we sit on the fence the more this goverment will ignore us all.

They think they are in a position where they dictate,which they are at this time , but the last fuel blockades nearly brought them to their knees. Lets do it again.

I am sick of being ripped off.

Rob

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rob

Who do you think the supermarkets buy their petrol from?, BP, Texaco and shell it all comes from the same place it just get delivered in a different colour lorry.

No matter where you live in the country you petrol will be supplied by one of the major oil companies

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The high price of fuel is because there's a shortage! The normal laws of supply and demand apply - demand exceeding supply leads to higher prices.

We suffer in this country because of the high level of tax on fuel - as the price goes up, so does the tax. If any government cut the fuel tax, other taxes would have to rise.

The fuel shortage is caused by Arab resentment at the Iraq war and China's huge increase in energy consumption.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Well said Gill!!

Rob, of course the government can dictate whats happens that is what they do - I bet you were one of the people who voted Labour in the first place!!!

Everyone is in the same boat with regards to fuel prices - it is now becoming too expensive to run a car but they are a neccessity and of course we are going to pay whatever the price we all need to get somewhere. So stop going on about it it makes us all angry - gone are the days of 46p per litre!! If you are sick of getting ripped off - buy a bike - no I thought not!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well said Gill!!

Rob, of course the government can dictate whats happens that is what they do - I bet you were one of the people who voted Labour in the first place!!!

Everyone is in the same boat with regards to fuel prices - it is now becoming too expensive to run a car but they are a neccessity and of course we are going to pay whatever the price we all need to get somewhere. So stop going on about it it makes us all angry - gone are the days of 46p per litre!! If you are sick of getting ripped off - buy a bike - no I thought not!
No,

I have never voted for them and never will. Yes I have a bike AND use it.

Rob

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi rob

you could always buy LPG car I have a freelander and gas is only around 39p a litre towed my daughters small caravan couple weeks ago and thought it was great , went from home on the wirral to north wales only cost me

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Spot on Sarah! - My Range Rover has run on LPG since 1998 and its been great. The oil stays clean and it runs far smoother. Whatsmore you can run a great big "lumbering" 4x4 and be more enviromentaly friendly than ANY petrol or diesel vehicle!

Makes doing the school run or popping out for a pint of milk a real pleasure!! In fact I drive the car just for the pure pleasure of doing so knowing that the emmissions are VERY VERY low and its costing about half of what others are paying.

All that comfort, go anywhere ability - so much better for the grass on a site as a 4x4 will do less damage when towing in difficult conditions. And of course you have the greater visibility you get from sitting up that bit higher so you can look further ahead in such a vehicle all without having "footprint" bigger than say a 5 series BMW.

Congratulations on being a sensible and responcible car owner and of course by buying Brittish!!

My wifes car is a 1.8 Freelander - we do not use it for towing - the Range Rover is our preferred tow vehicle but mainly because it is older and the dogs have more room in it. Great car the Freelander - we will certainly buy another.

Did you get yours converted by LR under the Powershift grant?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Roger, there is one person who is benefiting nicely by the price rise and that is Gordon Brown. He is getting a nice windfall from the extra VAT which is of course also paid on the duty element of the fuel ( a tax on a tax). He had not budgeted for this additional income so of course he could cut the duty to compensate for the additional income from VAT.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I just find the whole question of oil price so so depressing! It is going to have a huge knock on in our everyday lives before long! I am worried about our own business we run a Guest house and our heating bills have doubled in 4 years and have just got a new contract price from our electric company from 4.23 to 7.17p per unit!. I know I will have to shop around but we run a 7 room guest house between the 2 of us and there are only so many hours in a day to get on a telephone!!!I will have to make a decision to up our prices and that has a knock on effect because it puts people off coming and the price of fuel makes people think twice about travelling!! Think we will just sell up, buy a camper van and sod off!! ( staying in one place of course we won't be able to afford to travel far!!)Oh well thats the moan for today off to clean the rooms, do the vat, ring round for cheapest car insurance, juggle the finances,etc etc etc!! Sigh!! can you get Monday morning feeling on Wednesdays?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Crikey! that sounds sad Caroline. Have you tried those websites that are suppossed to identify the cheapest fuel tarif for you in your area. Never used them myself but keep meaning to.

Our local Vet has just done what you say. Ok so he was near retirement age anyway but he sold his house and practice - bought a Motorhome and last we heard he was in Northern Spain heading for Portugal where he intends to live cheaply overwinter in his Motorhome whilst on the look out for a Villa to retire in.

As a small business he was plagued by the beurocrats and nearly wiped out financially by the Taxman.

When we were in Spain some years ago we looked at a Villa and asked what local taxes were payable - we were told c.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Crikey! that sounds sad Caroline. Have you tried those websites that are suppossed to identify the cheapest fuel tarif for you in your area. Never used them myself but keep meaning to.

Our local Vet has just done what you say. Ok so he was near retirement age anyway but he sold his house and practice - bought a Motorhome and last we heard he was in Northern Spain heading for Portugal where he intends to live cheaply overwinter in his Motorhome whilst on the look out for a Villa to retire in.

As a small business he was plagued by the beurocrats and nearly wiped out financially by the Taxman.

When we were in Spain some years ago we looked at a Villa and asked what local taxes were payable - we were told c.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Roger, there is one person who is benefiting nicely by the price rise and that is Gordon Brown. He is getting a nice windfall from the extra VAT which is of course also paid on the duty element of the fuel ( a tax on a tax). He had not budgeted for this additional income so of course he could cut the duty to compensate for the additional income from VAT.
Yeah, but he gives it to every country that come with a begging bowl instead of british citizens!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts