Fuel pricing rip off continues.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I read that the CMA have concluded that fuel prices are still higher than they should be. In particular supermarkets profit margins have doubled since 2019 to 8% with independent retailers about the same. It suggested that more pressure should be put on retailers to advertise prices on an app. But in our area it would only show independents only about 1 pence more than supermarkets. Hardly a saving worth chasing.

Yet 8 miles away a Sainsbury’s is charging 5p per lt less than our local Sainsbury, and local independents reflect that difference too. But I’m hardly likely to drive 16 miles just to pick up fuel, although I do top up when passing. I suspect the difference in the two Sainsbury’s is due to location. One is by a number of retail and food outlets on the junction of two main trunk routes. The other Sainsbury’s sits out of the public eye in a sleepy town center.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I read that the CMA have concluded that fuel prices are still higher than they should be. In particular supermarkets profit margins have doubled since 2019 to 8% with independent retailers about the same. It suggested that more pressure should be put on retailers to advertise prices on an app. But in our area it would only show independents only about 1 pence more than supermarkets. Hardly a saving worth chasing.

Yet 8 miles away a Sainsbury’s is charging 5p per lt less than our local Sainsbury, and local independents reflect that difference too. But I’m hardly likely to drive 16 miles just to pick up fuel, although I do top up when passing. I suspect the difference in the two Sainsbury’s is due to location. One is by a number of retail and food outlets on the junction of two main trunk routes. The other Sainsbury’s sits out of the public eye in a sleepy town center.
You can use Nectar points to get 5p off litre of fuel and you can bet your bottom dollar that they are still making a profit! Fuel is definitely over price, but expect it to increase due to increased duty and taxes.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You can use Nectar points to get 5p off litre of fuel and you can bet your bottom dollar that they are still making a profit! Fuel is definitely over price, but expect it to increase due to increased duty and taxes.
We use Nectar points for the Christmas shop. I’ve not seen anything wrt increases in fuel duty etc.

Reactions: Mr Plodd
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I made a supposition based on a couple of headlines this morning so guess it will be coming?
Could be, but I’d rather pay extra tax than inflated profit margins to the supermarkets and retailers. Pity they can’t be hit with a windfall, tax as CMA have looked at fuel pricing before and concluded its higher than it should be, but apart from suggesting an app precious little has been done to effect change, Bring on home charging and PHEV/EV. 😱

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I use the Petrol Prices website/app to check prices before each refuel - works at home and while we're away - strangely enough rural Scotland is about 4p/litre cheaper than urban Midlands at home at present - ridiculous when you consider the distance from a fuel distribution depot and the lack of local competition.

IMO the cause of the problem is the purchase of Asda by the Issa brothers who already owned Euro Garages which is a big player in the local filling stations - their decision that Asda would cease to be market leader has allowed all the other supermarkets to increase their margins, and therefore their prices.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I use the Petrol Prices website/app to check prices before each refuel - works at home and while we're away - strangely enough rural Scotland is about 4p/litre cheaper than urban Midlands at home at present - ridiculous when you consider the distance from a fuel distribution depot and the lack of local competition.

IMO the cause of the problem is the purchase of Asda by the Issa brothers who already owned Euro Garages which is a big player in the local filling stations - their decision that Asda would cease to be market leader has allowed all the other supermarkets to increase their margins, and therefore their prices.
We have an ASDA Esso fuel station in the local town and they are always more expensive than the other Esso station less than 1/4 mile away and the Tesco which is also less than a mile away.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
On the Northbound A12 about a mile and a half short of Copdock interchange is an Esso station at Capel. ALWAYS cheap. Now 135.9 for unleaded, our local supermarkets are 142.9. I try to go there as I also have the CAMC fuel card giving me an extra 3p per litre off!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It’s even worse Clive.
Tesco Cirencester are consistently 5p more than their Swindon store. It doesn’t stop there. Most food at Swindon is cheaper, less luxurious brands ,than Ciren. I definitely see Tesco and others pricing according to the affluence of the local demographic. 🙀

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
On the Northbound A12 about a mile and a half short of Copdock interchange is an Esso station at Capel. ALWAYS cheap. Now 135.9 for unleaded, our local supermarkets are 142.9. I try to go there as I also have the CAMC fuel card giving me an extra 3p per litre off!
I thought it was 4p a litre as I have not been notified it is now 3p?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It’s even worse Clive.
Tesco Cirencester are consistently 5p more than their Swindon store. It doesn’t stop there. Most food at Swindon is cheaper, less luxurious brands ,than Ciren. I definitely see Tesco and others pricing according to the affluence of the local demographic. 🙀
It’s solely because Cirencester has more Subarus and Rangie/Landies as Jeremy once commented. 😱

• Wow
Reactions: Dustydog
May 2, 2020
Visit site
I thought it was 4p a litre as I have not been notified it is now 3p?
Used mine a week ago 4p of diesel however its 3p off unleaded

Fuel type
Discount (Inclusive of VAT)
Synergy Unleaded
3p
Synergy Diesel
4p
Synergy Supreme+ 99 Unleaded
5p
Synergy Supreme + Diesel
6p

So you are both correct.

Gra

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Used mine a week ago 4p of diesel however its 3p off unleaded

Fuel type
Discount (Inclusive of VAT)
Synergy Unleaded
3p
Synergy Diesel
4p
Synergy Supreme+ 99 Unleaded
5p
Synergy Supreme + Diesel
6p

So you are both correct.

Gra
I use Diesel supreme and for some reason I have been getting 12p off a litre? I have not argued about it. :D

Reactions: Gralay
May 2, 2020
Visit site
I use Diesel supreme and for some reason I have been getting 12p off a litre? I have not argued about it. :D
Nice one
I had an email from wex about a month ago giving me 14 days double discount, luckily we were away in caravan at the time and Esso stations were very reasonably priced plus double discount, did I take advantage of this?
O yes, when we left north Yorkshire filled up to gunells.
Gra

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Nice one
I had an email from wex about a month ago giving me 14 days double discount, luckily we were away in caravan at the time and Esso stations were very reasonably priced plus double discount, did I take advantage of this?
O yes, when we left north Yorkshire filled up to gunells.
Gra
Just double checked and it is now the 6p. Seems it went down to 6p in May.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
At our Asda Diesel 143.7 / Petrol 138.7
Sainsburys Diesel 143.9 / Petrol 138.9 , Premium Petrol 150..9

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts