FULL SIZE AWNING

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Hi all, when we got our van we also got a Dorema full size awning , i have never actually used it yet.

My question is how long do these take to erect and is it a one man job.

The awning is nearly new as the last owner used it for a 1 week outing.

Cheers.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Lots depends on how fit and able you are, the bigger an awning is the heavier it is, also different makes vary in weight plus air awnings and poled awnings vary so it’s almost impossible to give a definitive answer, I’ve recently purchased a 330 length air awning and I’d probably say that it’s the biggest I’d want to erect on my own but I’ve done full size awnings when younger, I’d say the best thing is to attempt it and see for yourself, or sell it while awnings are in demand and use it to buy a smaller one if that’s all you need, no point having a huge awning if it’s not needed your just making unnecessary work for yourself, I’ve only erected mine the once as it’s a recent purchase, I’d estimate I will do it including all the pegging down in about 30 to 45 minutes .

BP

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A full size awning is nearly impossible to erect on your own, but it can be done however set aside a couple days of your holiday for erection and recuperation. LOL! 😆

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi all, when we got our van we also got a Dorema full size awning , i have never actually used it yet.

Cheers.
It can be done but it’s hard graft and any breeze risks potential damage to the caravan. We sold our full size one and bought a second hand Isabella Magnum. Larger than a porch, smaller than a full size. It then didn’t need a new awning every time you change Caravan. Most leading companies make “ midi” awnings.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When we were Seasonal caravanners use to help each other we got a full size awning for our Twin Axle and got help I don"t think I could do it on my own .

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It can be done but it’s hard graft and any breeze risks potential damage to the caravan. We sold our full size one and bought a second hand Isabella Magnum. Larger than a porch, smaller than a full size. It then didn’t need a new awning every time you change Caravan. Most leading companies make “ midi” awnings.
Our Magnum was one of the best investments we have made on caravan accessories. Easy to erect and can stand gale force winds however we avoid using it in winter due to damp issues when packing away.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We used our Magnum throughout the year as we could dry and air it in the garage. Never had any mould issues doing that. Final airing then is in the lounge overnight.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We used our Magnum throughout the year as we could dry and air it in the garage. Never had any mould issues doing that. Final airing then is in the lounge overnight.
In the winter we have an old Kampa 220 air awning. Goes up quick and covers the door. Thought we would be lucky to see 3 winters with it, but it is still going strong.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site

Cheers.
Hi,
We're knocking on a bit now and decided struggling to put up an awning spoiled the holiday so we don't have an awning anymore.Still,if your young and fit enough they do double your living space and handy for keeping things in.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
If you trawl you tube there are various videos of folks putting up an awning single handed. I think there is an Isabella one showing a helpful method. I have seen folks on site doing so as well. However we find it tricky enough with two of us and if you drop a pole you can ding the van. Would suggest you practice with a helper the first couple of times.
Mel

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

Cheers.

35-40 years ago we would go away nearly every weekend to Eastnor castle, about 30 mins away. I would leave work early and try to get there for around 5:30 on the Friday. I could be set up with a full awning erected with minimum assistance. All that done and ready for a meal with friends.

But I was reasonably fit then.

We now have and make do with a Fiamma, but even that’s hard so we are now considering one that’s rolled out with a cranking handle.

So the answer has to depend on how fit and able you feel you are.

John

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The number of people needed probably depends on the size. Hopefully you will have the instructions as the larger ones can be complex. Not sure about yours but some makes will have the instructions on line and watching others erect them on you tube should help. If you keep it somewhere with the room to do a couple of dry runs before using it on site this should help. Do remember the jokers among us call them divorce in a bag as some are just too complex for easy erection. You may need patience and a clear head for the first couple of goes.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
This is what we have now just brought
2021 Vango Capella 220 Air Porch Awning
We got it for one reason it lightweight and easy to put up ;)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My first caravan, a 2nd hand Sterling came with a full sizeDorema awning , lovely thing. Took me about 2 hours on a dry windless day to put up two of us. Took it down after the weekend and put it straight on E bay, it was worth £600 I sold it for £50.
We went through very lightweight porch awnings, now I use a Sunncamp Air awning 220. Takes me about 30 minutes to fully peg down. We dont sit out in it at nights it is to store the seats and tables if it is going to rain.

Reactions: Lizzie003
May 2, 2020
Visit site
We have a full Dorema awning that we use occasionally as we usually put up the porch awning, to make putting it up easier I colour coded each pole end to save time and grief putting up, no more crossed words putting up the divorce in a bag

Jun 1, 2021
Visit site
the van i bought came with (on the offside) a caravanstore awning in a bag, a full size awning with tall annex and sleeping annex none of it in bags, on my own i stand no chance of sorting it out and errecting it. I have bought bags to put the various bits in and it looks to not have the ends of the origional awning so they must of always put up the 2 annexes everytime, which poles belong to which bits i have no idea so they are lumped together into 2 bags.
So i have bought a large porch awning which uses just the one pole at the front think its a suncamp 390 or very similar to that, that i can easily put up. I also have a quest romany 400 porch awning which will probably need reproofing that i can put up on my own in the past that has withstood snow, winds and rain when i used it

May 24, 2014
Visit site
First thing, have a look on youtube at the kampa Awning Puller. Whilst there, have a look at the Isabella Ambassador awning erection video. It will answer all your questions. Most awnings follow the same routine and we found we learned a lot from the izzy video.

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
Cheers all, some good advice thanks.
I think we will put it up one time and see as its brand new , not sure of the model but it all looks ultra clean and the poles are nit the steel ones fibre i presume.

It might go up once the get sold lol, i do also have a kampa porch awning wich is a breeze to fli

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
After using it last week I’d definitely give a thumbs up to the Kampa awning pulley system, I made one mistake of not lubricating the awning rail but even with not lubricating it I was able to pull a 330 awning through, if anyone knows what is the best lubricant, I’ve got various things to try, my worry is it needs to be something that dries but still helps the awning to slide in the rail, the awning I’ve just bought cost me £950 so I don’t want anything that is not going to dry as it might stain the awning material.

BP

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Beehpee, we usually spray some Aquatex in the rail. Its not a lubricant but it works well enough and is probably better for the awning. Glad you got on well with the pulley.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I didn't find pulling the awning through, a problem. And I had colour coded the poles, It was just a huge Faff, and we put down the rubbery awning flooring, After a year we threw away the good caravanning book, by the CC, ( Oh, you can't dry your towels from the windows, Tut Tut, ) and done our own thing. Why spend 1.5 Hours putting up a full awning for a long weekend, and the same maybe the day before you leave, and the weight of the thing.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Cant fault you on that sentimeet Hutch, cant be bothered to put the porch up for a weekend. One of the reasons we go less times but for longer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts