Further phone scam

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Just to let other forum users know a new ruse - phone call usual delay indicating it is from overseas - offering me 190.00 that I was overcharged on my washing machine homecare policy. When challenged the caller hung up as we NEVER pay for additional warranties having been fleeced by a 'genuine' warranty company in days gone by!

Additionally there are a whole load of virus software scams that purport to be from Norton or McAfee ...your computer is at risk.... Thankfully I hear less from Amazon imitators lately so maybe everyone knows instantly that is a scam because it has been used countless times before!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Just to let other forum users know a new ruse - phone call usual delay indicating it is from overseas - offering me 190.00 that I was overcharged on my washing machine homecare policy. When challenged the caller hung up as we NEVER pay for additional warranties having been fleeced by a 'genuine' warranty company in days gone by!

Additionally there are a whole load of virus software scams that purport to be from Norton or McAfee ...your computer is at risk.... Thankfully I hear less from Amazon imitators lately so maybe everyone knows instantly that is a scam because it has been used countless times before!
Thanks for the update :D

Mar 17, 2022
Visit site
There was a show in the BBC a few weeks ago where they were listening in on scammers calling. One recommendation was to call them out. Ask them repeatedly if they are scammers. Eventually they will hang up. The companies that run these scams are massive, run out of call centres mixed with legitimate businesses. They also have databases, call them out and there is a good chance that they will mark you as a waste of time on the database and you might get fewer calls.

Even if it doesn't reduce the number of calls, venting at them is a good form of stress relief. I have a new sport of replying to the text message telling me my parcel couldn't be delivered. One even replied calling me a "cheeky punk".

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The alternative sport is to keep them talking for as long as possible. The quick rejection does not do any harm as they are used to that but wasting their time really makes them angry.

Mar 16, 2022
Visit site
The alternative sport is to keep them talking for as long as possible. The quick rejection does not do any harm as they are used to that but wasting their time really makes them angry.
I do this and try to make up the most unbelievable story as is possible..........:grinning:

Them: Hello sir I believe you have been involved in an accident recntly...........
Me: WOW, yes, that is correct, it only happened 5 minutes ago, this is exceedingly good service, how can you help me.........

Last edited:
May 12, 2019
Visit site
Normally I never buy an extended warranty, but at our house the washing machine is on every day and if it breaks down I am expected to replace it immediately, so when I bought an expensive £400 washing machine (Bosch) I paid the extra £100 to extend the warranty from 2 years for another 3.
And I am glad I did as at 2 1/2 years it packed up, and although it took 3 visits from their technicians and over £300 worth of parts its fixed and the warranty has another 2 1/2 years to go.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I do this and try to make up the most unbelievable story as is possible..........:grinning:

Them: Hello sir I believe you have been involved in an accident recntly...........
Me: WOW, yes, that is correct, it only happened 5 minutes ago, this is exceedingly good service, how can you help me.........

A friend of mine who is Partially Sighted answers the” accident” scam with “Was I driving? No wonder there was an accident!”
mel

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
If you want longevity in white goods look seriously at Miele. Yes they are not cheap but they often carry a 10 year warranty.
We have a friend in Germany who has a Miele over 40 years old and still going strong!

Reactions: Dustydog
Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I remember the old 1980's Miele vac we had when I was a kid. We didn't have a lot of money and had it as a "hand me down" from my aunt who worked there. It was still going strong in the late 90's . I'm always reminded of it when I drive past the HQ in Abingdon, the design of the building looks like the 1980's vac.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I tell them I am a foreigner and don't understand what they are saying and ask them if they can speak in my language. They normally hang up!

Reactions: Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts