gardeners question time

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
As it isn't raining, snowing, freezing or blowing a gale where I live, I declared it a lovely afternoon and went out to do a bit in the garden. This set me to planning a bit of planting, but I am not a very good gardener so I need some help.

Two issues:

1. The ground floor of my house is lower than the road so my kitchen window looks out onto a wall about 3ft away. There is a shelf on the wall for some containers, but it is very shaded and collects moisture as it is so sheltered. The thing that grows best is moss! What can I plant in pots that will brighten up the view but will survive the conditions.

2. In the main bit of the garden, I took out a lavender bush that was huge. But the bees did seem to like it. What can I plant that the bees will enjoy?

Please give me specific instructions so that I can go into the garden centre and ask.

Thanks in advance

mel

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
For covering the wall you might try Jasmine which is pleasantly scented and will thrive in moist shaded areas.This would be best grown in a terra cotta pot to allow drainage and trained over the wall. Pansies or Violas give a splash of bright colour and they do well in the shade too in pots or baskets.

For the garden you could try a dwarf variety of Lavender which will attract bees, just prune lightly in the Spring and again in the Autumn to prevent the plant from becoming too big and losing it's shape.

Lavender goes well when planted among roses, dwarf patio roses are available for smaller areas.

Hebes are another plant that bees will like when in flower, again a light trim (I use old scissors on mine) will help to retain the shape.

Most purple coloured flowers attract bees as do roses.

Be careful if tempted to plant a Buddleija (Butterfly bush)

These undoubtedly attract bees and butterflies but they need to be kept well pruned and the dead flowers cut off and burned to prevent the bush becoming too big and the seeds from the flowers from spreading everywhere and creating problems.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Thanks boys I'll make a list for a trip to the garden centre next week. Hope this nice weather(!) continues.

mel

TRENDING THREADS