Gas weight

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Hello. We have a propane bottle with a silver disc stamped 1614. I assume this is 16 lb 14 oz.
This equates to 7.6 kg and I am assuming this is the empty weight.
I have weighed the bottle with the baggage scale and it weighs 12.4 kg.
Can I therefore assume I have 4.8 kg of gas left?
This was a 6 kg bottle when new.

Lots of assumptions here of course

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Steve

Yes you have it correct, weigh the bottle with gas, and subtract the tare weight will leave you with the weight of gas left.

What I could never fully understand is why suppliers sell gas by weight using metric units, but the measure the tare wights in Imperial!!

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
We got ours renewed 2 years ago before we went to Holland , we are away every 5th weekend and use oven when we are , I still got a little bit left now but tomorrow which is Saturday I am going down to exchange both the main gas bottle and the BBQ gas bottle ready for France in 4 weeks just in case the inevitable should happen... I mean run out whilst away .

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Just been down and replaced my 4.5 which is for the BBQ at £18 and my 6kg for the mains gas for £22 so all in all £4o which have lasted over 2 years , which have been used quite a bit as well , and mind you lifting them back into the front locker to strap them in i could feel the difference in the weight .

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Just been down and replaced my 4.5 which is for the BBQ at £18 and my 6kg for the mains gas for £22 so all in all £4o which have lasted over 2 years , which have been used quite a bit as well , and mind you lifting them back into the front locker to strap them in i could feel the difference in the weight .

Craig I might not get out as often as you do but I think we use more gas than you, as for the weight of them, well you are sitting around at work all the time. :p

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts