Getting the thing level

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Was at a site at the weekend and the pitch was in the corner of the site with the van at 45 deg backed into the corner if you get the idea. The pitch rose towards the corner so the back of the van didnt need the legs down as much.
I have a level gauge on the front and the van was perfectly level on this, yet it blatantly wasnt level. Only fractionally but enough to niggle at me. It was even worse at the back, even to the point where i crawled underneath to check nothing had collapsed etc.

The only thing i can think is the big tow hitch casing where the gauge is fixed isnt fixed totally true with the rest of the van.

1) Where do other people have theirs fixed? and;
2) do you actually use a gauge or just do it by eye?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Andy
The tow hitch casing is not necessarily level or in plumb with the caravan because it's just a bolt on part which is quite flimsy.
I use a small caravan level like this one which I place on the side worktop near to the caravan door to get a true reading.

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
We used the same level as Parksy, placed on the floor in the centre of the van, opposite the door. Or a glass half full of some appropriate liquid on the worktop
smiley-wink.gif

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Ive got one of those builders levels,about 2 foot long which I throw in back of car when we set off.I put it on the caravan floor to get it level wheel to wheel,then on the awning skirt rail to get the van bang on level from front to back.
Cheers Richard

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I use the same type as Parksy. What I did was to get the caravan level at home using wheel wedges/jockey wheel with a builders level on the sink unit worktop. When level all round, I stuck the 3-way level just inside the door with a thick bed of decorators caulk, to take up the imperfections on the floor. Really important with double bed- don't want wife rolling down on to me during night!
Norman

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Soozegg has the right Idea fill aglass with the apropriate liquid and by the time you have drank it you wont care if the van is level or not
Sir Roger

Jan 11, 2009
Visit site
After serious niggles, like you, i bought a cheap spirit level, with four"bubbles". Then took the level apart, retrieving the bubble glass indicators.
I then got the van level, using another level, then with some epoxy glue, discreetly glued the individual bubbles to the four sides of the van, where i could see the levels as i site the van. i.e A frrame, either side on the mover housing and under the number plate on the back!
Simples!!!

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
I carry a spirit level in my "bits and pieces" kit. It is made out of alluminium and about 18 inches long. I use it on the caravan floor.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
A caravan fitter once showed me that as caravans age, they may suffer a 'jacking effect'. Because the sides are heavily loaded with furniture, cooker, fridge and so on, the floor around the edges of the van can bend slightly downwards from the position of the chassis, becoming more evident with time. It may be slight, but you may be able to see that there is no longer a right angle between a worksurface and the wall. Consequently using virtually any 'flat' surface for a spirit level is only good at that point.
The only place to take a measurement is at the door. The door frame would have been at a right angle to the floor direction fore/aft when cut in the factory. The door wall would also have been at a right angle to the floor across the van. Therefore using a plumb bob hung on the door wall with its top hook and bottom point spaced equally from the door frameand door wall will set the van correctly in both axes. There is no need to find a piece of level ground to set it up either. Having done this first,it is then handy to have a bubble on the A frame as quick reference as you pull up on a pitch, but not very accurate.

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
As a Caravan fitter i have noted a lot of caravaners fit the 3 way level on the pot shelf just behind the front window, which makes sense as you can easily see it from outside of the van at the hitch, and saves walking around to the door all the time to keep checking it.
Pete

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts