Green? The tide may be turning!

Page 5 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yes but the Green generators are smart enough to know what they feed in and what their customers take out. Please give some credit to the intelligence of some who are trying to meet the challenge of climate change.
I think we are all aware that the green generators feed into the grid, but I how will they know how much actual green energy al electric customers take out as it is all mixed into the national grid.
No one is insulting the intelligence of anyone so not sure why you even think that as I was only pointing out the very obvious!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think we are all aware that the green generators feed into the grid, but I how will they know how much actual green energy al electric customers take out as it is all mixed into the national grid.
No one is insulting the intelligence of anyone so not sure why you even think that as I was only pointing out the very obvious!
I think they will know by a process called “metering “ either by smart meters or by customers submitting their monthly readings. It’s not that difficult. Green energy is bound to be mixed within the grid but the In-out equation still works.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think they will know by a process called “metering “ either by smart meters or by customers submitting their monthly readings. It’s not that difficult.
It is impossible for any meter to determine whether a household is receiving purely green energy or not. Fairly obvious that electricity is electricity whether green or fossil fuel.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Other Clive said,
Green energy is bound to be mixed within the grid but the In-out equation still works.

As an old dog I am struggling to understand how anyone can differentiate the type of electricity used🤔😵‍💫

Until earlier this year the Green levy on my bill was 25%. On investigation it seems the true figure is 7.8%. See the link below. I understand the points made but do wonder if there is some massaging of the numbers🤪🤪. Today I see no reason why any levy is necessary🤔🤔

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I used to use outfox the market. I now use Octopus energy. Moving right now today might not save anything as most retailers variable rate price cap is the limit. But it depends on your specific circumstances. For example, can you load shift and how much do you use?
I have a smart meter, so time of use tariffs are available. I also have solar and a battery, so load shift my usage from day rates to cheap (and Green ) overnight rates. Octopus have a referral scheme if you join. I thin there are charitable collectors of the referrer end if you are interested.
I am also with Octopus energy and have a smart meter and i have been thinking putting solar and battery on our roof of our bungalow would that advisable?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Other Clive said,
Green energy is bound to be mixed within the grid but the In-out equation still works.

As an old dog I am struggling to understand how anyone can differentiate the type of electricity used🤔😵‍💫

Until earlier this year the Green levy on my bill was 25%. On investigation it seems the true figure is 7.8%. See the link below. I understand the points made but do wonder if there is some massaging of the numbers🤪🤪. Today I see no reason why any levy is necessary🤔🤔

My comments only related to how kw are put in and kw are taken out from the grid, not related to the economics of the various levies. You as a user cannot differentiate the type of electrical energy you are using as there aren’t separate distribution networks for renewable/ green that would be impractical.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
However 100% for sure you probably only got about 10% green energy like everyone else as it is all fed into the National grid?
The actual energy you use may have come from anywhere. The energy you buy, is bought by the retailer from renewable generators. By buying from a renewable retailer, you support renewable generation. The percentage of renewable energy in the grid number varies to as high as 100%, with then average being around 40%.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
I am also with Octopus energy and have a smart meter and i have been thinking putting solar and battery on our roof of our bungalow would that advisable?
It’s a long term investment, but the payback is relatively short at the moment (as in 4-6 years as opposed to 10-12). You have to balance the cost of install against your usage and how much you might generate. If you have a large unshaded south facing roof, and space to install, you can put in a system that will generate sufficient electricity to power you all year round, with the batteries keeping you going over night. Electricity you dont use can be sold back to the grid at the 30min spot rate (sometimes measured in £ per kWh as opposed to pence). In the summer, this can earn enough to buy the extra energy you need in the winter. The difficult part is, as always, if you can afford a solar install, you can probably afford your electricity too, so it’s as much about your personal ethos as it is economics.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
It is impossible for any meter to determine whether a household is receiving purely green energy or not. Fairly obvious that electricity is electricity whether green or fossil fuel.
You are not thinking big enough. It’s impossible for a single meter, but not for an entire network of meters. You measure what goes in and what comes out, and the sum tells you what came from where and where it went.
The grid operates the same way as the banking system. In your account you don’t have specific physical coins or notes. Just an electronic representation. You measure what you earn by having a meter between you and everyone who pays you. You also have a meter between you and everyone you pay. Your account, like the grid, is a net representation of what goes in and out.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You are not thinking big enough. It’s impossible for a single meter, but not for an entire network of meters. You measure what goes in and what comes out, and the sum tells you what came from where and where it went.
The grid operates the same way as the banking system. In your account you don’t have specific physical coins or notes. Just an electronic representation. You measure what you earn by having a meter between you and everyone who pays you. You also have a meter between you and everyone you pay. Your account, like the grid, is a net representation of what goes in and out.
However as said every household will get the same ratio of green energy whether or not on green tariff. The only difference is the cost as the green used to cost more strangely enough. However I think that surcharge has now been dropped?

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
However as said every household will get the same ratio of green energy whether or not on green tariff. The only difference is the cost as the green used to cost more strangely enough. However I think that surcharge has now been dropped?
Yes and no. The energy you use may have come from anywhere. The energy generated, that balanced the grid, came from where you bought it. Thus, the energy you buy is renewable. The difference is subtle, but important.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It is obvious that a meter cannot differentiate between the source of the energy being metered. But it doesn’t matter as the supplier knows what they feed in and what is consumed by their customers. At present I may be using electric supplied by Norwegian hydro, Belgian wind and UK nuclear and gas. Sort that lot out ?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It is obvious that a meter cannot differentiate between the source of the energy being metered. But it doesn’t matter as the supplier knows what they feed in and what is consumed by their customers. At present I may be using electric supplied by Norwegian hydro, Belgian wind and UK nuclear and gas. Sort that lot out ?

All a supplier knows is that they pay a percentage towards a distribution company as no supplier generates electric. They only buy and sell it or simply put, they only generate the bills. The supplier along with other suppliers buys electric from a general pool and that pool consists of electric from different sources including mines.

The national grid knows the exactly the amount of green energy that is going into the grid. So if 40% is green energy then they have to assume that 40% will be used, but cannot define who is using it whether an individual or a business.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I think they will know by a process called “metering “ either by smart meters or by customers submitting their monthly readings. It’s not that difficult. Green energy is bound to be mixed within the grid but the In-out equation still works.
I’m really sorry Clive but I just don’t understand what all the last posts are on about😵‍💫.
Taking up Buckman’s last post can any of us truly know exactly what “type” of electricity we are receiving.
My supplier is BG. I doubt for one minute I can assume all mine comes from gas fired power stations?
Im sticking to caravanning and Calor Propane . I know what I’m getting🤪🤪

Reactions: Hutch and Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’m really sorry Clive but I just don’t understand what all the last posts are on about😵‍💫.
Taking up Buckman’s last post can any of us truly know exactly what “type” of electricity we are receiving.
My supplier is BG. I doubt for one minute I can assume all mine comes from gas fired power stations?
Im sticking to caravanning and Calor Propane . I know what I’m getting🤪🤪
That’s precisely my point and one that some find difficult to comprehend. The consumer signs up to a supplier that sources from renewable sources then inputs into the grid. Where yours comes from is not that relevant because if your renewables supplier is paid by you to supply 100 kw if that goes into the grid and is mixed with other non renewables sources your contract is still fulfilled. Anyone wanting to ensure that what appears at their meter is truly green from a renewable source might be better investing in a biogester system 😂

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
All a supplier knows is that they pay a percentage towards a distribution company as no supplier generates electric. They only buy and sell it or simply put, they only generate the bills. The supplier along with other suppliers buys electric from a general pool and that pool consists of electric from different sources including mines.

The national grid knows the exactly the amount of green energy that is going into the grid. So if 40% is green energy then they have to assume that 40% will be used, but cannot define who is using it whether an individual or a business.
They really do not need to define it do they? Your supplier of renewable energy knows your usage from meter readings. They know where they contracted their renewable supplies from which they sell on to you. It not the Grids role to monitor what type of energy each consumer has just used.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would liken the electricity supply to say a big reservoir which has several streams running into. The water coming out is a mix from all the streams and there is no way to say which stream any water comes from. With electricity the power generated from the different sources goes into the grid which is like the reservoir and what comes out is a mix in the same way and it would be impossible to say which electricity you receive. What is important though is the energy you pay for to get your power, and if that is renewable so much the better.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
They really do not need to define it do they? Your supplier of renewable energy knows your usage from meter readings. They know where they contracted their renewable supplies from which they sell on to you. It not the Grids role to monitor what type of energy each consumer has just used.
I give up as you seem very confused this morning! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I understand where OC is coming from. What is hard to understand is that we get told from our supplier that we are using 100% green energy. But if only say 40% is being put in. How can this be the case? I guess that industry are using non green to make up the shortfall.

I wonder if a calculation is actually done nationally to demonstrate that all those who are contracted for high % green really get it.

John

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I understand where OC is coming from. What is hard to understand is that we get told from our supplier that we are using 100% green energy. But if only say 40% is being put in. How can this be the case? I guess that industry are using non green to make up the shortfall.

I wonder if a calculation is actually done nationally to demonstrate that all those who are contracted for high % green really get it.

John
I know it is a moving feast but the reputable companies such as Octopus, and even BG have their performance audited , which gives some confidence that they are doing what they claim to be doing. But with the plethora of suppliers in the UK market, and the weak approach to regulation there are bound to be those that aren't really doing the job properly. Hopefully the regulation of the energy market may improve and like the banks came out of 2008 financial crash there will be periodic stress tests on suppliers in the future.

Its funny how the thoughts on energy and renewables aren't mirrored when it comes to petrol and diesel. Not heard anyone challenge if their fill of Esso from for example the Valero/Texaco refinery is actually Esso. :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I know it is a moving feast but the reputable companies such as Octopus, and even BG have their performance audited , which gives some confidence that they are doing what they claim to be doing. But with the plethora of suppliers in the UK market, and the weak approach to regulation there are bound to be those that aren't really doing the job properly. Hopefully the regulation of the energy market may improve and like the banks came out of 2088 financial crash there will be periodic stress tests on suppliers in the future.

Its funny how the thoughts on energy and renewables aren't mirrored when it comes to petrol and diesel. Not heard anyone challenge if their fill of Esso from for example the Valero/Texaco refinery is actually Esso. :eek:
Most cars are pretty clean these days with cats and adblue. Not quite the same as electricity . 😉Hey ho! Back to caravanning

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Most cars are pretty clean these days with cats and adblue. Not quite the same as electricity . 😉Hey ho! Back to caravanning
That’s not quite true. Any car that has an ICE emits carbon dioxide. Electricity can be renewable (solar, wind, hydro), clean (nuclear), carbon neutral (biomass), carbon intensive (fossil) or carbon intensive and dirty (brown coal, neat oil). The idea that a combustion engine is “clean” is referring to its CO, NOx and particulate output, all of which are present in combustion output. It’s conveniently ignoring CO2.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That’s not quite true. Any car that has an ICE emits carbon dioxide. Electricity can be renewable (solar, wind, hydro), clean (nuclear), carbon neutral (biomass), carbon intensive (fossil) or carbon intensive and dirty (brown coal, neat oil). The idea that a combustion engine is “clean” is referring to its CO, NOx and particulate output, all of which are present in combustion output. It’s conveniently ignoring CO2.
DD did say pretty clean so probably close on par with EVs taking in to consideration way EVs are built, but lets not go down that route. (y)

Reactions: Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts