Grey water disposal!!!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
I've seen people using home made filters consisting of a short length or soil pipe stuffed with straw and suitable drainage holes drilled to allow the liquid to drain out. After use the straw was spread in the hedgerow for the wildlife to use as they saw fit.
Not a 100% solution but better than nothing.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
No steps! Surely it hasn’t always been like this ? Double hernias on the horizon🤪.
More importantly all sites have a duty of care to protect the public from injury😜.
As an aside most the newer CLs have super clean waste disposal,points not much higher than the position in the caravan👏👏

Reactions: Buckman

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
We were told in the very first post that is the "Elsan disposal point", ie the chemical disposal point, and as such it should be raised. In that respect, there is no issue in it being the hight it is. Both the main clubs use raised CDPs, and their exempt 5 van sites are actively encouraged to have raised CDPs.

The issue is that it is not suitable for grey water dumping specifically where user have such high volume and thus weighty containers as Wastemasters.
Not a big issue for those using a standard 3 gallon bucket, which realistically users would not allow to get full, nor really for my "slide under" waste container or the waste container supplied with our Hymers.

Given the size and range of units the site caters for then they ought to better accommodate users of the popular Wastemaster; or possibly just the staff need training on where a better point is for Wastemaster and similar high volume waste container users.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
There are four Elsan points which are all raised as-per-usual and they are also the designated grey waste points, we have just watched a young couple man-handle a full Wastemaster into the one in my photo to empty it. Not easy and not a dry exercise. There is a MH service point on the other side of the site.

Like I said earlier, it’s not a bad site, especially if you have a boat, but the lack of thought over grey waste tainted it a bit for me. I will write to them when we get back but given its popularity I don’t expect a reply. I have voiced concerns with four members of staff but given the impression that no one has ever complained before!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
There are four Elsan points which are all raised as-per-usual and they are also the designated grey waste points, we have just watched a young couple man-handle a full Wastemaster into the one in my photo to empty it. Not easy and not a dry exercise. There is a MH service point on the other side of the site.

Like I said earlier, it’s not a bad site, especially if you have a boat, but the lack of thought over grey waste tainted it a bit for me. I will write to them when we get back but given its popularity I don’t expect a reply. I have voiced concerns with four members of staff but given the impression that no one has ever complained before!
Hi Gary looking at that you would have be very strong to throw the wastemaster in or take some steps with you

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Thought it was just me :D
Got to love a CL that says just throw it in the hedge
Plenty of CLs which aren't on mains drainage either ask you to empty grey water along the hedge or provide a drain which is just a soak-away, so the same thing really.

It's standard practice in times of drought or water shortage to recommend that households water the plants and garden with domestic washing up water.

Reactions: Challenger
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Plenty of CLs which aren't on mains drainage either ask you to empty grey water along the hedge or provide a drain which is just a soak-away, so the same thing really.

It's standard practice in times of drought or water shortage to recommend that households water the plants and garden with domestic washing up water.
If using Fairy dishwashing liquid in the waste water apparently that can be good for eliminating some bugs or issue?

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Update. Success with only partial wetness. Balanced the Wastemaster on its end/handle and we both lifted it up by the wheels and emptied it. Awkward but doable. I suppose some folks use the shower block but we prefer the caravan bathroom so 3 x showers a day soon fills it up. Still, at least the rain washes any overflowing soap-suds away…..

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Update. Success with only partial wetness. Balanced the Wastemaster on its end/handle and we both lifted it up by the wheels and emptied it. Awkward but doable. I suppose some folks use the shower block but we prefer the caravan bathroom so 3 x showers a day soon fills it up. Still, at least the rain washes any overflowing soap-suds away…..

You are lucky to be fit and able as no way could the wife and myself manage lifting the wastemaster that high without causing either of us an injury.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The plot thickens.It struck me as very odd that a multi award winning site with 500 pitches has no easily usable Grey waste disposal.
This is a copy from a Trip Advisor review last month. See item 3.
Gary , I wonder if you have been pitched on an area where the drains between the pitches don’t exist? Or the staff are just plain thick??

Date of Visit: June 2023Unit: Touring CaravanRating:
7_star_rating.png
Nights stayed: 14Travelling as: Mature couple
Reviewer: Pixie_Hez99 reviews from this member

quote_open.png
This was our second visit to Pentewan Sands, the first being a few years ago, and on the whole, we had an enjoyable holiday. A few pros and cons of the site that we noticed this time around.

Pros.

1. The location is excellent. Very easy to get to with no narrow roads if you go via St Austell. There are loads of places on both the north and south coast of Cornwall that can be reached easily for days out.

2. The pitches are very spacious, ours was about 13x13 metres, so much more spacious than other sites we have stayed at.

3. There are loads of water and waste points, very close the the caravan. In our case, 4 pitches in a square shared one tap and drain in the middle. This meant that while you couldn’t remain hooked up to the water permanently, we never had to move our aquaroll but used a hose from the tap to keep it topped up.

4. The shop on site is excellent with great croissants etc at breakfast time and other baked goods and pastries etc throughout the day along with an extensive range of beach supplies, food, camping equipment and ice cream!

5. We didn’t use it but if you like a swimming pool, the one on site looked excellent.

6. There are lots of different pitching areas to suit everyone from beachfront premium pitches to standard and non electric pitches.

Reactions: GaryB
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
There’s certainly no drains where we are, there’s a tap in the centre of every four pitches, the base of the tap is gravel for natural drainage of spillages but not for grey water. Yesterday I spoke to four members of staff about waste water disposal and all said “Elsan”. I’ll have another look later but so far not found anything

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
There’s certainly no drains where we are, there’s a tap in the centre of every four pitches, the base of the tap is gravel for natural drainage of spillages but not for grey water. Yesterday I spoke to four members of staff about waste water disposal and all said “Elsan”. I’ll have another look later but so far not found anything
Keep going inspector GaryB,
this is very intriguing ;)

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Went to Pentewan once, never again.
Somebody literally cut through the lanyards holding the caps on my aqua roll & wastemaster. Reported to staff but they were not interested that someone was walking around the site with a very sharp knife. Had a confrontation with the idiot in the caravan behind ours after he started throwing chips on top of my caravan resulting in something like an Alfred Hitchcock film. Once again reported but absolutely no interest from staff. It wasn't a very relaxing holiday.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
It does attract a certain clientele…… there must be a beer-belly/sunburned neck contest in the area this week.

I’m going to write a very fair review when we get back, there’s both good and bad points.

TRENDING THREADS