Grey water disposal!!!

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
We’re away at Pentewan Sands, a nice site but I couldn’t find any reference to grey water disposal so I asked at reception. “You have to use the Elsan disposal point” was the reply, twice from two different members of staff. All well and good but the Elsan point is raised by three feet off the ground! I pointed out that a 38 litre waste container weighs around 38kgs which is too heavy to lift single handed, I got blank looks and apparently no-one else has complained before!!!

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
We’ve just walked round the site and 99% of folks either have “poorly fitting caps” or waste hoses that keep falling off. It’s a shame to do it but whoever thought lifting a waste container to waist height to empty it was a good idea has obviously never used one!

Anyway, it’s stopped raining now so I’ll stop moaning 😂

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We’ve just walked round the site and 99% of folks either have “poorly fitting caps” or waste hoses that keep falling off. It’s a shame to do it but whoever thought lifting a waste container to waist height to empty it was a good idea has obviously never used one!

Anyway, it’s stopped raining now so I’ll stop moaning 😂
Ah, the Cricklade Venting lower cap.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
An easy option is not to fill it with more than you can comfortably lift to emptying at that site; had in our old age to use that logic with the loo, never let it get too heavy for me to comfortably manage.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
An easy option is not to fill it with more than you can comfortably lift to emptying at that site; had in our old age to use that logic with the loo, never let it get too heavy for me to comfortably manage.

With three people using the shower etc it’s not really feasible as it gets to an unmanageable weight very quickly. I’m not normally a moaner but I’ll certainly write to the site about this one.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Totally agree. You are right to complain, but in the meantime, is there a Motorhome drive over service point that you can commandeer?
mel

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Lovely for the tenting young family following on or anybody else if the weather heats up.
Is this really the sort of practice we in this forum condone?

Reactions: Gafferbill
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Lovely for the tenting young family following on or anybody else if the weather heats up.

Unfortunately there aren’t many other options here. It really is an aspect of the site that hasn’t been thought about.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve been in sites where there is no grey water disposal point and visitors are asked to put it around tress or in the hedges. Quite a common feature on French sites where the water helps support the trees during hot summer weather.

Reactions: Challenger

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I’ve been in sites where there is no grey water disposal point and visitors are asked to put it around tress or in the hedges. Quite a common feature on French sites where the water helps support the trees during hot summer weather.

IMO, quite a difference to dumping it directly on the unit's footprint of the pitch, and here at Pentewan Sands a site that takes family tenting, and with the school summer holidays just starting.

But I have seen it done and also had the misfortune to be asked to site on a pitch fouled in this manner.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
IMO, quite a difference to dumping it directly on the unit's footprint of the pitch, and here at Pentewan Sands a site that takes family tenting, and with the school summer holidays just starting.

But I have seen it done and also had the misfortune to be asked to site on a pitch fouled in this manner.
I was just making the point that there are alternatives to letting it “leak” onto the pitch. I’m surprised that the particular site wants grey water in the chemical disposal point as the quantity will necessitate more frequent emptying of the chemical disposal point, at increased cost. But a three foot lift is taking the “proverbial”.

Aug 14, 2019
Visit site
I love sites where you can drain off your grey water into the hedge. The hedges seem to love it too.
Main CAMC sites don’t seem to have this option although lots of CL’s do.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I was just making the point that there are alternatives to letting it “leak” onto the pitch. I’m surprised that the particular site wants grey water in the chemical disposal point as the quantity will necessitate more frequent emptying of the chemical disposal point, at increased cost. But a three foot lift is taking the “proverbial”.
Some, perhaps many, sites are on mains drainage so just like domestic drainage both toilets and sink drains all connect to the foul sewer to be processed at the local sewage works.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We’re away at Pentewan Sands, a nice site but I couldn’t find any reference to grey water disposal so I asked at reception. “You have to use the Elsan disposal point” was the reply, twice from two different members of staff. All well and good but the Elsan point is raised by three feet off the ground! I pointed out that a 38 litre waste container weighs around 38kgs which is too heavy to lift single handed, I got blank looks and apparently no-one else has complained before!!!
If you have a disability like arthritis how can they expect that person to lift 40kg to empty the unit? This is supposed to be site that everyone raves about.

This is a serious shortcoming as it penalises people with physical limitations and could be viewed as being discriminatory? :unsure:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you have a disability like arthritis how can they expect that person to lift 40kg to empty the unit? This is supposed to be site that everyone raves about.

This is a serious shortcoming as it penalises people with physical limitations and could be viewed as being discriminatory? :unsure:
There must also be a lot of more able people that cannot lift that weight to the height of the emptying point.

Reactions: GaryB
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
There must also be a lot of more able people that cannot lift that weight to the height of the emptying point.

The other issue is that a traditional Wastemaster is an awkward shape to lift on your own, especially when it’s full of 38kgs of liquid slopping around inside. The Elsan point is also in a “cupboard” so space is very limited.

I’ll take a photo later. The site’s in a great location (when it isn’t raining!) but we won’t return, it has several short-comings for us that don’t justify the high price.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Gary Hopefully you maybe able to find a member of staff on site who can assist you with this weighty problem. One thing you don't want to develop is a bad back which could impede future holidays in your caravan. Good luck!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
A number of the comments were tic in part.
The Pentewan Sands site is not cheap. If as has been said there is no easily usable Grey Waste disposal point then the site Owners can hardly complain. No way am I lifting a heavy Wastemaster let alone controlling the out flow. Imagine the mess to my clothes!

I suggest a leaky gasket on wastemaster is not as bad as some of the commercial filter plants used by others for dumping the grey waste onto the pitch. John C described one recently.
For my part , we don’t use sites which have tents, we are 99%FSP. Otherwise it is the hedge!

TRENDING THREADS