Gutted - Is this an Insurance claim?

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well folks the investigation works started today and guess what I didnt like what I found!!
Stripped the shelf and cut part of the panel out on the inside and can only access a small part of the crack.
View attachment 1065

That hole you see is all the access I have, the wood below is 6 inches (150mm) in width and forms the head of the window frame, the wood
above is on the join where the roof meet the front panel.
(The cuts you see will actually be hidden behind another panel I removed and the shelf)
BUT THATS NOT ALL FOLKS..........
So on cleaning the surround of the window I found a further 3 cracks!
One in each bottom corner and one slightly off center at the top!
View attachment 1066View attachment 1067View attachment 1068

So I have two options, firstly remove the window and rubbers, I then may be able to lift the plastic enough to squeeze in enough bonding agent under the split and bond it to the wood frame that is there. this is obviously a very precarious option as when I lift the split panel it may crack in another place.

So in deep thought in a previous post John mentioned about plastic welding, this is now option two and the favoured option.

I can of course still bond the small area inside

I will let you know how it goes.
Hi Kev good luck with the repair, keep us updated how you get on

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
So the chosen repair man (more on him later) rang me on Friday to say that as it is forecast a lovely sunny day on Sunday (Today) could he come over to start the repair. No problems for me.
So the first task was to remove the window, easier said than done, all research and his experiance says lift window, remove stopper and slide off, this is the first Fleetwood he has tackled, so further search I found more info, top of window has a aluminium strip with a lip and sikaflex in position, cut sikaflexand lift the strip which was quite hard but came out.
IMG_20210228_104040_2.jpg

The strip at the top being lifted out. Window then lifted out.
IMG_20210228_111257_4.jpg

Window and seal now removed.

IMG_20201206_140624_2.jpg

Main crack to repair.

IMG_20210228_144425_2.jpg

All cleaned up and if you Look closely you can see it has now been
cut into a "V" to allow a better weld.IMG_20210228_144338_2.jpg

The bottom edge was not flush with the timber frame so the guy put
3mm plastic packing where you see the 4 clamps and on the main crack where you see the two clamps he managed to slide a 4mm packing pice under the crack.

IMG_20210228_144342.jpg

One of the smaller cracks , drilled hole at bottom and "V" out raedy for weld.

IMG_20210228_151344_3.jpg

Close up of the weld which will bind the crack together, he is back tomorrow to sand down, insert more weld where required and polish to a finish.

TO BE CONTINUED>>>>>>>>>>

Attachments

• IMG_20210228_144425_2.jpg
    IMG_20210228_144425_2.jpg
    649.8 KB · Views: 5
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
So the chosen repair man (more on him later) rang me on Friday to say that as it is forecast a lovely sunny day on Sunday (Today) could he come over to start the repair. No problems for me.
So the first task was to remove the window, easier said than done, all research and his experiance says lift window, remove stopper and slide off, this is the first Fleetwood he has tackled, so further search I found more info, top of window has a aluminium strip with a lip and sikaflex in position, cut sikaflexand lift the strip which was quite hard but came out.
View attachment 1221

The strip at the top being lifted out. Window then lifted out.
View attachment 1222

Window and seal now removed.

View attachment 1223

Main crack to repair.

View attachment 1224

All cleaned up and if you Look closely you can see it has now been
cut into a "V" to allow a better weld.View attachment 1225

The bottom edge was not flush with the timber frame so the guy put
3mm plastic packing where you see the 4 clamps and on the main crack where you see the two clamps he managed to slide a 4mm packing pice under the crack.

View attachment 1226

One of the smaller cracks , drilled hole at bottom and "V" out raedy for weld.

View attachment 1228

Close up of the weld which will bind the crack together, he is back tomorrow to sand down, insert more weld where required and polish to a finish.

TO BE CONTINUED>>>>>>>>>>

That’s some very professional work Kev. The guy clearly knows what he is doing👏👏👏

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
That’s some very professional work Kev. The guy clearly knows what he is doing👏👏👏
Mighty impressed with him so far Dusty, problem was we had a lot in common and spent a lot of time yapping but I was helping to clean off all the old mastic etc.

Here's a tip(he showed me), when cleaning off old mastic, cover in talcum powder first and roll it onto it self and it doesnt stick .
Then clean rest of residue off with brake cleaner. 👍

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Mighty impressed with him so far Dusty, problem was we had a lot in common and spent a lot of time yapping but I was helping to clean off all the old mastic etc.

Here's a tip(he showed me), when cleaning off old mastic, cover in talcum powder first and roll it onto it self and it doesnt stick .
Then clean rest of residue off with brake cleaner. 👍
Hi kev it looking more promising

May 7, 2012
Visit site
There is another mark there but it could be dirt. An impact would normally be cracks radiating out from the point of impact rather than vertical. I do think this is stress.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
There is another mark there but it could be dirt. An impact would normally be cracks radiating out from the point of impact rather than vertical. I do think this is stress.
Hi Raywood, definitely stress there are too many cracks/splits in different location's for impact.
Unless some one shot my caravan with a machine gun !!!
He found a 5th one under the seal so sorting that as well.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Raywood, definitely stress there are too many cracks/splits in different location's for impact.
Unless some one shot my caravan with a machine gun !!!
He found a 5th one under the seal so sorting that as well.
Hi Kev at least it been sorted keep us updated

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for posting the pictures. This is fascinating even for non tech people like me.😀
More pictures to follow of the finished repair Lady Mel, hopefully tomorrow, he was back again this afternoon (I wasnt here to keep him yapping this time) and he is back again tomorrow, not a quick fix, good job he's only 20 mins away from me.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
More pictures to follow of the finished repair Lady Mel, hopefully tomorrow, he was back again this afternoon (I wasnt here to keep him yapping this time) and he is back again tomorrow, not a quick fix, good job he's only 20 mins away from me.
Hi Kev look forward to seeing more pictures of the finish Article.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Quick Update,

So Matt the Plastic's man returned today as the sun was shining for him again, he was not happy on two counts firstly there was an air bubble in his filler so rubbed down and re-filled and secondly the rubber seal on the window wasnt sitting right, so took window and seal out again and refitted!!
Back next Saturday to re-rub down and polish
His words when he left in the dark,,,,,nearly there.

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi Kev,
Matt sounds like a great, guy: was impressed / interested by your prior photos, great to see a craftsmans work. Sounds like he takes a lot of pride and will do you proud!
Look forward to seeubg the splendid finnished job,
Wayne

Reactions: Gagakev
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi Kev,
Matt sounds like a great, guy: was impressed / interested by your prior photos, great to see a craftsmans work. Sounds like he takes a lot of pride and will do you proud!
Look forward to seeubg the splendid finnished job,
Wayne
Hi Wayne, agree with every thing you have said, brilliant guy, I just want to see it finished, cant wait but he is busy until next weekend.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
So guys and girls take a look at the before and after, tell me your thoughts and I will tell you mine when I have had some responses!!

IMG_20201206_140624_2.jpg

So thats before, and now

IMG_20210317_165550_1.jpg

At least it is watertight now, comments please.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
So guys and girls take a look at the before and after, tell me your thoughts and I will tell you mine when I have had some responses!!

View attachment 1283

So thats before, and now

View attachment 1284

At least it is watertight now, comments please.
Hi Kev Pleased to see the job has now been completed and you can now enjoy another number of adventures knowing it is now okay. Looks like a decent job and one you can be confident with.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
That's a WOW from me, and from your description of the job in hand with packing behind the joins now stronger than when it left the factory. Hope it gives you many years service!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Although you can still see the crack, it is now closed up. Why does fibreglass crack in straight lines? Does this go back to an issue with the panel when it was manufactured?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Kev, being totally critical , but not seeing the other repairs, I would have hoped not to see any visable repair. I can visably see an indentation, which if I was claiming on insurance I would not accept. If you run your finger over it can you feel anything , maybe the photo is deceptive..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts